HP Forums
HP50G: CAT functionality? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP50G: CAT functionality? (/thread-2242.html)

HP50G: CAT functionality? - Bill Zimmerly - 10-06-2014 04:22 AM

On this HP page, it describes using the CAT command as follows:

"From the catalogue you can select and execute any of the existing commands. The catalogue is much like a menu of an application, where you can use the arrow keys to select menu items, or jump to the items typing the first few letters of them. While the catalogue is active, press [ALPHA] [ALPHA] [I] [N] [T] to jump to the command 'INT'."

But when I try this with my HP50G (ROM 2.15) it jumps to the beginning of the "I" list, then the beginning of the "N" list, then the beginning of the "T" list.

Is there another flag setting that will make the CAT command work as described above?

RE: HP50G: CAT functionality? - Joe Horn - 10-06-2014 04:31 AM

(10-06-2014 04:22 AM)Bill Zimmerly Wrote:  On this HP page, it describes using the CAT command as follows:

"From the catalogue you can select and execute any of the existing commands. The catalogue is much like a menu of an application, where you can use the arrow keys to select menu items, or jump to the items typing the first few letters of them. While the catalogue is active, press [ALPHA] [ALPHA] [I] [N] [T] to jump to the command 'INT'."

But when I try this with my HP50G (ROM 2.15) it jumps to the beginning of the "I" list, then the beginning of the "N" list, then the beginning of the "T" list.

Is there another flag setting that will make the CAT command work as described above?

Solution: type faster. If you type the letters quickly (with less than about half a second between each keystroke) it'll act as described. This is identical to the way Windows Explorer (and many other things) work; if you type the first few letters quickly, the selection moves to the entry that begins with those letters, but you have to type quickly. No, the half-second delay on Prime is not user-adjustable.

RE: HP50G: CAT functionality? - Bill Zimmerly - 10-06-2014 05:22 AM

Another "home run" of advice! Smile Thanks (again) Joe.
- Bill

RE: HP50G: CAT functionality? - Wes Loewer - 10-06-2014 04:59 PM

Bill,

On a related note, if the Binary Integer Word Size is set to 13 or less, CAT will behave incorrectly no matter how fast you type. (see STWS and RCWS)

-wes