HP Forums
Feature requests for Finance application - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Feature requests for Finance application (/thread-2773.html)

Feature requests for Finance application - mainakae - 01-03-2015 01:09 PM

Hello all,

Don't know if there's a place to ask the developers (or anybody in charge of the development of this great calculator) for features. If there is, please some one guide me to there. In the mean time, I'll ask for a couple of features for Finance application here:

1. Store the amortization (all the payments) results in a variable (or echo it to the CAS or Home)
  2. Let te user choose the grouping of the Plot view (currently it only shows yearly sums, not much use for amortizations of small credits, due in, say, 10 monts)

Thanks for your time and congratulations for the job done!
Pedro

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - ziad218 - 01-27-2015 09:31 AM

I agree with you. Besides, Hp developers could add more finance applications such as Cash Flow and Bond. Hope they can hear us!

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Eddie W. Shore - 01-27-2015 01:18 PM

I would like to add the DDAYS (days between dates) and DATE+ (days to add to a date) functions to the request.

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Tim Wessman - 01-27-2015 03:32 PM

(01-27-2015 01:18 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I would like to add the DDAYS (days between dates) and DATE+ (days to add to a date) functions to the request.

How about DELTADAYS, DATEADD and DAYOFWEEK. Any better suggestions/preferences anyone? If not, those would be the built in names so if you don't like them now would be the time to make your voice heard.

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Tim Wessman - 01-27-2015 03:33 PM

(01-27-2015 09:31 AM)ziad218 Wrote:  I agree with you. Besides, Hp developers could add more finance applications such as Cash Flow and Bond. Hope they can hear us!

We (developers) hear you fine, but our voices are not as loud as customers calling into the support line to ask about missing features.

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Wolfgang - 01-27-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:Let te user choose the grouping of the Plot view (currently it only shows yearly sums, not much use for amortizations of small credits, due in, say, 10 monts)

Why I need plot view? im changing group size and press amort.
Please see attached pdf.

DDAYS and DATEPLUS, DOW, and so on are integrated functions in dfx.
you will find dfx in prime software library.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1272-post-24811.html#pid24811
i am continuing the revision of this functions next weeks.
they are for astronomical purposes, but you / i can dismantle / strip it to financial purposes.
The Date Format could be taken from the HP 12C.

If i take a look into the HP 12C's userguide:
why not put it all into the prime?

:-)

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - rprosperi - 01-27-2015 10:35 PM

(01-27-2015 03:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  How about DELTADAYS, DATEADD and DAYOFWEEK. Any better suggestions/preferences anyone? If not, those would be the built in names so if you don't like them now would be the time to make your voice heard.

Why not the names Eddie suggested, they're shorter, and for many folks, easy to recall from years of using same? Not saying your suggested names are bad, just wondering why you would propose longer, totally new names rather than the names used for generations of machines. DAYOFWEEK could be DOW as well.

Maybe knowing the reasons for your suggestions well help to hear other voices.

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Tim Wessman - 01-28-2015 01:44 AM

Quote:
(01-27-2015 10:35 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  How about DELTADAYS, DATEADD and DAYOFWEEK.

Why not the names Eddie suggested, they're shorter, and for many folks, easy to recall from years of using same?

Well, DATE+ has to change since we early on it was established not to allow basic mathematical operators in command names (is it DATE + or DATE+). I suspect that might also prove problematic in the parser/evaluator.

DDAYS is more cryptic then DELTADAYS, or even ΔDAYS for non-HP traditionalists and non English speakers. I don't have strong feelings about it however.

DAYOFWEEK I think would be nicer as DATEDAY because that would group it nicely with the other two.

So I guess - how do people feel about DDAYS, DATEADD, DATEDAY?

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - rprosperi - 01-28-2015 02:21 AM

(01-28-2015 01:44 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  So I guess - how do people feel about DDAYS, DATEADD, DATEDAY?

Better, IMHO. Thanks for explaining. Though I should have by now, I've never noticed there are no operators in any statement/function names. I guess the parser is already complicated enough...

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Wolfgang - 01-28-2015 01:48 PM

@TW
I Don't want to type in large names or to look for single characters like the greek synonym for delta.
I prefer
DDYS,DADD,DOW for day of week. Its long enough.
DDAYS: Take a look to a HP50g.

BUT:
Whats about the range for date?
Whats about input and output forms e.g. triggered by Home Settings Variables?
long 2015.0128 WED or 28.012015 MIT
middle 2015.0128 3 or 01.282015 3
short 2015.0128

choosing american, european style, and last not least languages?

There we should imho take care.

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Snorre - 01-29-2015 11:40 AM

Hello Wolfgang (and all others),

I'm fine with the longer but easier to remember names (DAYOFWEEK, DATEADD). I think DATEDAY (Does it return the day-part 1..31 of a date?) is not as obvious as DAYOFWEEK. If I were a key stroke count fanatic I'd put that on a user key anyway.
The Prime is so much different from the older HP calcs that I don't see the point in keeping names for historical reasons. And I'd be happier if "dow" could be used as a local variable name instead of having another short name occupied by a global function; one exception: to me ΔDAYS looks more pleasing than DELTADAYS. It seems that Δ is not taken into account when sorting/searching the catalog (see ΔLIST) so these "DA..."-names would group nicely together.
(But since I do date calculations very seldom if ever I'm biased).

There are some further alternatives for repesenting dates:
- as a single integer 20150129 (no truncated trailing zeroes on 10th, 20th, 30th)
- as a vector/list of integers [2015,01,29] (please not!)
No matter how they're finally displayed, I'd prefer single number/y-m-d order (being consistent with "Date") because it makes comparing/sorting (by sight or in programs/spreadsheets) much easier. I wouldn't call it "american style" (I think "american" would be something were month and date are swapped).

BTW: my Prime crashes when entering {2015,1,28} into the spreadsheet.

IMO day of week should be a single integer where 0=sunday, 1=monday, etc. just because STRINGFROMID(2349 + dow) is shorter than STRINGFROMID(2349 + dow MOD 7).

Greetings

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - Wolfgang - 01-30-2015 04:58 PM

Hi Snorre, i exspected an answer from Tim Wessman but your opinions are fine too.
Sorry, i can't share them all.

I took a look to my HP50g and to the HP12C's Userguide before coding my own date functions with variable date formats and so there is no urgent need for me getting them onboard from HP.

ΔDAYS is very fine, but you have to look after the Δ. And a double tipping 'D' is faster. But so what. I would like it on a button, it looks pretty good.

Further alternatives are good. I dont like 1.012 as you get it working with my or the HP50g's routines for 20000101.

Please take a look to my attachment, it's from the new DFX modul DTM coming soon. You will see ΔDAYS on softbutton and the 2nd picture shows you a clock setting function with running clock similar looking setting calc's timeoff.

Thanks
Wolfgang

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - salvomic - 02-28-2015 09:43 AM

(01-27-2015 03:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  How about DELTADAYS, DATEADD and DAYOFWEEK. Any better suggestions/preferences anyone? If not, those would be the built in names so if you don't like them now would be the time to make your voice heard.

I agree.

I would also suggest also other "12C like" functions, like Bonds valuation and cache flow (see here) or more...
I know I'm asking too more, sorry, but I like much my 12C, and when operate with Prime and its Finance App I think also to have it :-)

Salvo

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - BruceH - 03-07-2015 07:04 AM

(01-29-2015 11:40 AM)Snorre Wrote:  I'm fine with the longer but easier to remember names (DAYOFWEEK, DATEADD). I think DATEDAY (Does it return the day-part 1..31 of a date?) is not as obvious as DAYOFWEEK.

Sorry for being a bit late to the party here, but I agree with DATEDAY being the day number. So why not have DATEDOW, DATEDAY, DATEMON (or DATEMONTH) and DATEYEAR to return the relevant day of week, day number, month number and year?

Instead of DELTADAYS, I suggest DATEDIFF - then all the date functions start with the word "DATE" and they're all together in the catalog.

RE: Feature requests for Finance application - ggauny@live.fr - 03-07-2015 10:25 AM

(03-07-2015 07:04 AM)BruceH Wrote:  
(01-29-2015 11:40 AM)Snorre Wrote:  I'm fine with the longer but easier to remember names (DAYOFWEEK, DATEADD). I think DATEDAY (Does it return the day-part 1..31 of a date?) is not as obvious as DAYOFWEEK.

Sorry for being a bit late to the party here, but I agree with DATEDAY being the day number. So why not have DATEDOW, DATEDAY, DATEMON (or DATEMONTH) and DATEYEAR to return the relevant day of week, day number, month number and year?

Instead of DELTADAYS, I suggest DATEDIFF - then all the date functions start with the word "DATE" and they're all together in the catalog.

Very good idea, i agree.