HP Forums
Polite question and suggestion about "solve". - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Polite question and suggestion about "solve". (/thread-2863.html)

Polite question and suggestion about "solve". - John P - 01-15-2015 04:44 AM

Hello,

Is it possible for the "solve" command to assume that the Right Hand Side of an expression is equal 0 and quietly add "=0" when "=0" is not present instead of giving some kinde of message that it is not an expression and that it will add "=0" etc. The reason for asking is that when in prgm. mode you have to pres "Enter" to proceed and sometimes it is more convenient to enter just the expression with no "=0" . I think that message is unnecessary, but ofcourse I could be wrong.

Cheers

RE: Polite question and suggestion about "solve". - parisse - 01-15-2015 08:41 AM

The message was added at the request of highschool teachers.
Perhaps some silent settings should be added on the Prime.

RE: Polite question and suggestion about "solve". - John P - 01-15-2015 09:38 AM

Hello,

I am asking for this becouse I want to store some function for ex. "xt-xo*(1+r/100)^t" in a variable say "ExpGrowth", then if I want to slove it for say "xo" and not to get this 'message' of missing "=0" when using "solve(ExpGrowth,xo) I have to store it as: "xt-xo*(1+r/100)^t=0" and it solves correvtly. If I want to for example differentiate it wrt. some variable I get the derivative "=0" and that does not work if I want to evaluate the derivative numerically. However, there is a way around the problem by using"left" diff(left(ExpGrowth,r)) and it works OK, but I think adding "=0" to an expression, not equation, and remembering adding "left" is unnecessary complication and sort of nuisance.

Cheers