HP Forums
Help with Cas program - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Help with Cas program (/thread-314.html)

Help with Cas program - johna - 01-03-2014 08:48 PM

Hi, I wonder if someone could please help.
After reading many posts about using Cas commands/functions in Home view, I think I am now totally confused AND frustrated.
I have written a program which requests the user to input a function and this is then stored in F1. I then use a loop to generate a table of values based on a start and end value (interval) using a step increment. I store these values in list, say L1.
This works well for any non Cas function, eg e^X, Sin(X), X^2 etc.

The problems start when a Cas function is entered, for example int(Sin(X^2),X,0,X).
I have tried various suggestions in my program to correctly evaluate this function eg:

1. L1(1):=Cas('F1(.1)')

2. L1(1):=Cas("F1(.1)")

3. L1(1):=Eval(Cas('F1(.1)') etc,etc.

I either get some value*X, or incorrect values or just plain 0.

I hope I have explained the problem in an understandable manner.
Thanks for any advice.
John

RE: Help with Cas program - Michael de Estrada - 01-03-2014 09:14 PM

Replace X with x for your function variable. Also, do not make your upper limit of integration the same as your function variable. It should be your input value. For example: int(SIN(x^2),x,0,X) will work. Make sure you have complex checked in your CAS settings, since SIN is converted to its complex exponential form. If you use it in a program, use the form CAS("L1(1):=int(SIN(x^2),x,0,X) ").

RE: Help with Cas program - Helge Gabert - 01-03-2014 09:47 PM

Try the above suggestions by Michael. If that doesn't help, post your code, that will make it easier to ferret out any problems.

RE: Help with Cas program - johna - 01-07-2014 07:32 PM

Hi Michael and Helge, apologies for not replying earlier to your advice.

In the end, I used the integral template enclosed in single quotes and used a variable other than X for the upper limit.
A simple L1(var):=Eval(F1); worked!!
No use of Cas. or Cas("L1():=..."). Really confusing at times.

By the way Michael, if I used lower case x in defining the function in Home view,as suggested, results in an error.
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.
Regards
John

RE: Help with Cas program - Helge Gabert - 01-07-2014 11:10 PM

Glad that worked out for you!