HP Forums
Why the right(); command returns both sides of an expression? (SOLVED!) - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Why the right(); command returns both sides of an expression? (SOLVED!) (/thread-3523.html)

Why the right(); command returns both sides of an expression? (SOLVED!) - Spybot - 04-01-2015 03:45 AM

Hi Guys!

I have this code:

EXPORT TEST()
BEGIN
LOCAL M,BY,S,y,x;
INPUT(M,"Title","Label:");
BY:=CAS.y=M*CAS.x;
S:=CAS.right(BY);
MSGBOX(S);
END;

I'm trying to extract the right side of this expression (y=3x), using the right(); command, let's say I set M=3 ... then I expect to get: 3*x(no list format), but what I get is a list containing both sides of the equation. {y, 3*x}

Any Idea?

Spybot,

RE: Why the right(); command returns both sides of an expression? - Spybot - 04-01-2015 04:05 PM

I've been using the right(); command in CAS view and it works correctly, but within a program it starts to misbehave (see screenshots).

[attachment=1849] [attachment=1850]

I hope someone has an idea, why this command is behaving this way.

Thank you.

RE: Why the right(); command returns both sides of an expression? - DrD - 04-01-2015 05:29 PM

The program is a HOME view construct, and right(BY) is following the rules as described in the help file for this verb.

If your program was a CAS construct, your results would perform as they do at the CAS command line.

Its the difference between HOME and CAS programs that create the results you see.

RE: Why the right(); command returns both sides of an expression? - Spybot - 04-01-2015 07:22 PM

Hi DrD!

Is this what you mean?

#cas
test():=
BEGIN
LOCAL M,BY,S,y,x;
INPUT(M,"TITLE","LABEL:");
BY:=CAS.y=M*CAS.x;
S:=CAS.right(BY);
MSGBOX(S);
return 0;
END;
#end

Well it doesn't even execute. I went to CAS view and created this piece of code and I also checked the CAS option.
Why there's no much help about this command?

RE: Why the right(); command returns both sides of an expression? - Spybot - 04-13-2015 04:49 PM

Hi Guys!!!

OK this is the way I found to solve my issue with the right(); command, from inside of a program, this command returns a list with both sides of the equation, all I did (after a long headache!) was taking the elements "Out of the list" that's it ... Done!.

Thanks to you Guys, I've been learning a lot about the Prime. here's the code... as simple as this:

EXPORT TEST()
BEGIN LOCAL M,B,BY;
INPUT({{M,[0]},{B,[0]}},"Title","m:","b:","Help");
BY:="y="+M+"*x+"+B+"";
BY:=CAS(BY);
BY:=CAS.right(BY);
PRINT();
PRINT("
Eqn. input by User:
"+exact(CAS("y="+M+"*x+"+B+""))+"
left side of the equation:
"+BY(1)+" //here is the trick.