HP Forums
Step by Step calculations - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Step by Step calculations (/thread-3699.html)

Pages: 1 2

Step by Step calculations - fefer92 - 04-23-2015 06:20 PM

Hi,

Other HP calcs had the ability to show step by step calculations on some CAS functions, like derivatives, once step/step has been enabled. Do you know if this is still available on the Prime ? (I couldn't find that setting in the CAS settings pages nor mentioned in the User Manual)

RE: Step by Step calculations - parisse - 04-23-2015 06:54 PM

There is nothing currently on the Prime, it's a work in progress inside Xcas.

RE: Step by Step calculations - Tim Wessman - 04-23-2015 06:55 PM

No, that is not available at this time.

RE: Step by Step calculations - fefer92 - 04-24-2015 02:11 AM

(04-23-2015 06:54 PM)parisse Wrote:  There is nothing currently on the Prime, it's a work in progress inside Xcas.

Where is this work? I would like to stay connected to this work and to test to, if it is possible.

RE: Step by Step calculations - parisse - 04-24-2015 06:13 AM

Download Xcas, and check step by step in the general settings (Cfg menu).
Integration, derivation, linear system solving have some step/step features.

RE: Step by Step calculations - Dirk. - 04-24-2015 08:29 AM

(04-24-2015 06:13 AM)parisse Wrote:  Download Xcas, and check step by step in the general settings (Cfg menu).
Integration, derivation, linear system solving have some step/step features.

Hi,
where can I download the current version of Xcas for my HP-Prime?
could you provide a link please.

Greetings
Dirk.

RE: Step by Step calculations - Marcus von Cube - 04-24-2015 08:53 AM

(04-24-2015 08:29 AM)Dirk. Wrote:  Hi,

You can't. Xcas is a PC program. The same sources are compiled to become the Prime CAS environment. So you will need to wait until a new release of the Prime firmware is issued by HP.

RE: Step by Step calculations - Gerald H - 04-24-2015 10:32 AM

XCAS is also available as an Android App (free). Doesn't suffer from arbitrary limitations of Prime.

RE: Step by Step calculations - salvomic - 04-24-2015 12:46 PM

(04-24-2015 10:32 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  XCAS is also available as an Android App (free). Doesn't suffer from arbitrary limitations of Prime.

I hope to have, sometime, a Mac OS X and iOS version too...

RE: Step by Step calculations - fefer92 - 04-24-2015 01:30 PM

(04-24-2015 08:53 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(04-24-2015 08:29 AM)Dirk. Wrote:  Hi,

You can't. Xcas is a PC program. The same sources are compiled to become the Prime CAS environment. So you will need to wait until a new release of the Prime firmware is issued by HP.

So if I understood everything, Xcas is not a not official program, it will be an official HP program. This is right?

RE: Step by Step calculations - Han - 04-24-2015 01:33 PM

(04-24-2015 01:30 PM)fefer92 Wrote:  
(04-24-2015 08:53 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  You can't. Xcas is a PC program. The same sources are compiled to become the Prime CAS environment. So you will need to wait until a new release of the Prime firmware is issued by HP.

So if I understood everything, Xcas is not a not official program, it will be an official HP program. This is right?

The CAS on the HP Prime is based on a PC program called XCAS/GIAC. There are two "versions" of XCAS -- one for the PC and one for the HP Prime. They share the same code base, but are also different namely because each version is for a different platform.

RE: Step by Step calculations - Didier Lachieze - 04-24-2015 01:44 PM

For more details about Xcas, look at the official web page.

RE: Step by Step calculations - mandresve - 05-01-2015 01:26 AM

It's a bit sad that in the screenshots available on the official website of XCAS appear many 3D graphics, while in the HP Prime this feature isn't yet natively supported. We want more power in the Prime! Sad

RE: Step by Step calculations - salvomic - 05-01-2015 08:23 AM

(05-01-2015 01:26 AM)mandresve Wrote:  It's a bit sad that in the screenshots available on the official website of XCAS appear many 3D graphics, while in the HP Prime this feature isn't yet natively supported. We want more power in the Prime! Sad

but sure you have already seen this 3D Graph program by Han :-)
It's ok for the Prime!

Salvo

RE: Step by Step calculations - mandresve - 05-01-2015 08:36 PM

(05-01-2015 08:23 AM)salvomic Wrote:  but sure you have already seen this 3D Graph program by Han :-)
It's ok for the Prime!

Salvo

Of course Salvo, Han made a great job with the 3D Graph program but it is a great deficiency that HP doesn't include this as native support while in other brands is more that a mandatory feature. Apart from that I think the Prime HP offers enough specs at the hardware level which can be exploited with a better set of features and functions that help to position itself as the leader in its category. Still waiting to HP unleash the full power for the HP Prime in future SW revisions & updates, but never dissapointed for the great work they have put into it. Smile

RE: Step by Step calculations - salvomic - 05-01-2015 08:46 PM

(05-01-2015 08:36 PM)mandresve Wrote:  ...Still waiting to HP unleash the full power for the HP Prime in future SW revisions & updates, but never dissapointed for the great work they have put into it. Smile

I agree!
we hope a new wonderful FW soon (after months) Smile
Nowadays the list of the added features sure is too big ;-)

I don't know if it will be possible to include in the FW directly also the Han's 3d prog, perhaps Tim could tell us more...

RE: Step by Step calculations - Tim Wessman - 05-01-2015 09:26 PM

(05-01-2015 08:36 PM)mandresve Wrote:  great deficiency that HP doesn't include this as native support while in other brands is more that a mandatory feature.

Strange that for a mandatory feature it took 4 years after release to come the nspire, and still isn't on the casio prizm...

TW

RE: Step by Step calculations - mandresve - 05-01-2015 09:57 PM

(05-01-2015 09:26 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Strange that for a mandatory feature it took 4 years after release to come the nspire, and still isn't on the casio prizm...

TW

I know Tim, I mean that it's already implemented in the XCAS/GIAC, but not ported to the HP Prime. I'm very happy with the work he has done with HP calculator, really it is, I hope, like all products, continue to improve over time.

RE: Step by Step calculations - Tugdual - 05-01-2015 10:24 PM

(05-01-2015 08:36 PM)mandresve Wrote:  Of course Salvo, Han made a great job with the 3D Graph program but it is a great deficiency that HP doesn't include this as native support while in other brands is more that a mandatory feature. Apart from that I think the Prime HP offers enough specs at the hardware level which can be exploited with a better set of features and functions that help to position itself as the leader in its category. Still waiting to HP unleash the full power for the HP Prime in future SW revisions & updates, but never dissapointed for the great work they have put into it. Smile
I'm in the process of discovering the classPad 400 (emulated version). I wouldn't take one because, like the Prime, it seems to be dedicated to education, but from the little I have seen so far, it seems superior to the Prime. So why wait for the Prime when the alternative already exists on the market? Now for professional purposes with unit conversion, multiple equation solver, base conversion and the fun of RPL, the 50g remains my best toy for now.

RE: Step by Step calculations - Marcio - 05-02-2015 01:35 AM

(05-01-2015 10:24 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I'm in the process of discovering the classPad 400 (emulated version). I wouldn't take one because, like the Prime, it seems to be dedicated to education, but from the little I have seen so far, it seems superior to the Prime. So why wait for the Prime when the alternative already exists on the market? Now for professional purposes with unit conversion, multiple equation solver, base conversion and the fun of RPL, the 50g remains my best toy for now.

When I was in the processing of buying the Prime, I had a list with options to choose from, and if I remember correctly, the classpad 400 was the last entry mostly because of its inferior hardware. Even so, I decided to play with the emulator for a short while and came to the conclusion it was a far more mature product than the Prime was and is now. Its CAS was way better and the equation solver worked like a dream (except I couldn't find where or how to solve systems of non-linear equations), and I don't think it had a MES, probably still doesn't.

Would you care to open a thread comparing the two? Might be interesting to see what others have to say.