HP Forums
Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? (/thread-3972.html)

Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Dave Britten - 05-25-2015 09:17 PM

In case you're not familiar with it, One-Minute Marvels was a compilation of short, useful routines for the 48 series. They were generally EXTREMELY compact and elegant, the sort of things you could leave in RAM as part of your toolbox.

Are there any similar compilations for the 41? Math routines (GCD, LCM, nCr, nPr, etc.), utilities, stack/register tricks, or anything else would be interesting, both to add functionality, and pick up on some programming techniques.

For example, I've gotten GCD down to this, but I'll bet it can be done more elegantly: (preserves stack and fills T properly, but not L)

Code:
LBL "GCD"
LBL 00
MOD
LASTX
X<>Y
X!=0?
GTO 00
CLX
+
RTN

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Thomas Klemm - 05-25-2015 09:33 PM

You could ommit CLX since x = 0 when the program exits the loop.

Cheers
Thomas

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Dave Britten - 05-25-2015 09:39 PM

(05-25-2015 09:33 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  You could ommit CLX since x = 0 when the program exits the loop.

Cheers
Thomas

Right you are. See? That's why I'd like a collection of time-tested stuff. Wink

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Dave Frederickson - 05-25-2015 10:26 PM

Synthetic programming offers lots of neat tricks. The PPC ROM is the essential tool for that, but then for the cost you might as well get a Clonix module.

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - rprosperi - 05-25-2015 10:27 PM

(05-25-2015 09:17 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Are there any similar compilations for the 41? Math routines (GCD, LCM, nCr, nPr, etc.), utilities, stack/register tricks, or anything else would be interesting, both to add functionality, and pick up on some programming techniques.

The PPC ROM is likely your best source for such a collection, though it of course includes much more. The manual alone would be a tremendous source of such gems.

Also, the book "Calculator Tips and Routines" by John Dearing has a lot of this type stuff.

I think both are available on the Museum USB drive, or the TOS collection, which you probably already have (or should have).

Though not quite as condensed, the set of PPC Journals on Jake's DVD likely has every single routine you could ever want. You may have to search harder, but these would typically include thorough documentation as well.

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Dave Britten - 05-25-2015 10:36 PM

(05-25-2015 10:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(05-25-2015 09:17 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Are there any similar compilations for the 41? Math routines (GCD, LCM, nCr, nPr, etc.), utilities, stack/register tricks, or anything else would be interesting, both to add functionality, and pick up on some programming techniques.

The PPC ROM is likely your best source for such a collection, though it of course includes much more. The manual alone would be a tremendous source of such gems.

Also, the book "Calculator Tips and Routines" by John Dearing has a lot of this type stuff.

I think both are available on the Museum USB drive, or the TOS collection, which you probably already have (or should have).

Though not quite as condensed, the set of PPC Journals on Jake's DVD likely has every single routine you could ever want. You may have to search harder, but these would typically include thorough documentation as well.

Not seeing "Calculator Tips and Routines" on museum DVD 7.0. Was it added to 8.0? And what's "the TOS collection"? Does Kirk wax macho on RPN?

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - d b - 05-25-2015 10:50 PM

Dave;

Tight programming has always been in style for our machines, even ones with memories as "immense" as the 41. Another thing i remember as being sought after, among surveyors anyway, were programs which didn't use and alter any registers (ie totally in the stack by liberally using x<>y & rdn) or ones that returned an answer to X while leaving Y alone or replacing it. These were obviously to work inside of or with other larger routines.

There was another thing I did to save main memory back when i was using it for point storage. I'd save a couple of lines on my toggled meters/feet conversion by making the M>ft output a fix 2 and ft>M a fix 3. Simply remembering which one was keytop and which was shifted would have negated that need, but that didn't occur to me then.

Addendum:
RE: "And what's "the TOS collection"? Does Kirk wax macho on RPN?"
Kirk always seemed to me a right hemisphere & analogue kind of guy. Now Spock; He comes from a whole planet full of RPN users.

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Dave Frederickson - 05-25-2015 10:53 PM

(05-25-2015 10:36 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  And what's "the TOS collection"? Does Kirk wax macho on RPN?

TOS is That Other Site, or the site that shall not be named. TOS has a CD with lots of 41 stuff. A link to TOS can be found at the bottom of the Clonix41 home page.

RE: Anything like "One-Minute Marvels" for the 41C? - Dieter - 05-25-2015 11:00 PM

(05-25-2015 10:36 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Not seeing "Calculator Tips and Routines" on museum DVD 7.0. Was it added to 8.0?

If you read German (yes, this is especially interesting for our German/Austrian/Swiss forum members), the Dearing book (and some others) was kindly scanned by Martin Hepperle who made all this available for download. Please see his post from last November.

(05-25-2015 10:36 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  And what's "the TOS collection"?

That's "The Other Site", i.e. Warren Furlow's HP41 website. The mentioned German versions should be available there as well.

Dieter