HP Forums
Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing (/thread-4930.html)

Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Ángel Martin - 10-12-2015 08:27 AM

Does anyone have a COMPLETE copy of this program? (reference UPL# 1593C). I'm putting together a calendar collection in a ROM image and this one would be a great addition for it.

Unfortunately the copy available at TOS is missing a full page of code, which makes it unusable of course.

The program was written by William Hitchings, and it even won an award as described in an old issue of "Key Notes".

Thanks,
ÁM

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - ggauny@live.fr - 10-15-2015 11:06 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for too for a long time but no way ! I've tried to call the autor but no way too !!!

i'm tiying to complet my self this missing page but it's impossible.

Regards

Gérard.

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - David Hayden - 10-20-2015 02:59 AM

FWIW, note that the library scan lists the author's name as William E. Hitchins, not William Hitchens as listed in the meta data for the program, or William Hitchings as Ángel posted.

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - ggauny@live.fr - 10-20-2015 11:24 AM

Thank a lot for these precisions but..... this page is still missing !

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - David Hayden - 10-20-2015 07:52 PM

(10-20-2015 11:24 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  Thank a lot for these precisions but..... this page is still missing !
My point, which I didn't make very well, was that the right name might help someone track down the author.

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Ángel Martin - 10-21-2015 06:35 AM

(10-20-2015 07:52 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  
(10-20-2015 11:24 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  Thank a lot for these precisions but..... this page is still missing !
My point, which I didn't make very well, was that the right name might help someone track down the author.

Appreciate the name correction, but unfortunately it now coincides with an author (?) who lived from 1867-1943, which obviously cannot be the person we're looking for ;-) This is the prominent hit in google searches...

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - ggauny@live.fr - 10-23-2015 10:40 AM

Hi,

Of course, I agree. But How recover the missing page ?
May be you have an answer ? This program is VERY important fot those works on calendars calculations.
Of course I have "altcalc", but only on Excel.
May I beg your pardon for my irespect past thread ?

Nice day,

Gérard.

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Ángel Martin - 10-23-2015 03:02 PM

(10-23-2015 10:40 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  Hi,

Of course, I agree. But How recover the missing page ?
May be you have an answer ? This program is VERY important fot those works on calendars calculations.
Of course I have "altcalc", but only on Excel.
May I beg your pardon for my irespect past thread ?

Nice day,

Gérard.

Without the original source code I see no way to get this program back to life, sorry.

As a consolation there are two new calendar modules in preparation, will be released shortly - hang in there!

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - ggauny@live.fr - 10-23-2015 03:23 PM

Hi,

Many thanks. Wait and see...

Gérard.

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Dieter - 10-23-2015 06:28 PM

(10-12-2015 08:27 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Does anyone have a COMPLETE copy of this program? (reference UPL# 1593C). I'm putting together a calendar collection in a ROM image and this one would be a great addition for it.
(10-23-2015 10:40 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  May be you have an answer ? This program is VERY important fot those works on calendars calculations.

Please excuse my ignorance, but could one of the gentlemen kindly explain what's so special about this program? What does it do and why did it win an award?

Dieter

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Dieter - 10-23-2015 06:32 PM

(10-23-2015 03:02 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  As a consolation there are two new calendar modules in preparation, will be released shortly - hang in there!

Do you think it's possible to give a rough outline of what this module will offer? Something similar to the HP41 "caldendars" solutions book? Of course with better algorithms and also better coding. MCode, I guess...?-)

Dieter

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Ángel Martin - 10-23-2015 08:49 PM

(10-23-2015 06:32 PM)Dieter Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 03:02 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  As a consolation there are two new calendar modules in preparation, will be released shortly - hang in there!

Do you think it's possible to give a rough outline of what this module will offer? Something similar to the HP41 "caldendars" solutions book? Of course with better algorithms and also better coding. MCode, I guess...?-)

Sure enough, I didn't mean to be cryptic but had no time to elaborate. See below the FAT for the first one - mostly grouping programs from JM Baillard and a couple of my own.

Code:

Function    Description
-JMB CALND    
CDAY    Calendar Date
CMD            Ceiling / yz
"DT"     Date from J2k number
"DT-CO"    Date to Coptian
"DT-EG"     Date to Egyptian
"DT-HLS"     Date to Hindu Lunisolar
"DT-KY"    Date to Hindu
"DT-MY"    Date to Mayan
"DTTM"    Date from J2k w/Timer
"ECLIPSE"     Moon & Sun Eclipses
"EG-DT"    Egyptian to Date
" EASTER"     Easter Date
"EQSOL"    Equinox & Solstices
"EQSOL+"    Driver for EQSOL
FMD    Floor / yz
"GR-LS"    Gregorian to Lunisolar
"GR-SC"    Gregorian to Solar
"HLS-DT"    Hindu Lunisolar to Date
"IFMD"    Illuminated Fraction Moon
"IFMD+"    Driver for IFMD
"J0"             Julian Date since 2k
J2K            Gregorian Date since 2k
"CO-DT"    Coptian date to Date
JDAY            Julian day number
"KY-DT"    Hindu to Date
"LS-GR"    Lunisolar to Gregorian
"MY-DT"    Mayan to Date
"PESAH"    Pesah Date
"PHASE"    Phases of Moon
"SC-GR"    Solar to Gregorian
"STYLM"    Sidereal & Tropical Years
"STYLM+"    Driver for STYLM

The second one has a few from the User's Library (not the infamous one lost for good Sad and those Time-based routines from Poul Kaarup's collection. FAT Function summary is still in preparation...

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - ggauny@live.fr - 10-24-2015 09:34 AM

Hi,

Y've to go here : The HP41 Archive Website
Then "clic" on LIBRARY
And in Software go to "Users 's library USA".
Insude look for Ultimate calendar.

Have-I help you ?

Good day,

Gérard.

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Dieter - 10-24-2015 05:28 PM

(10-24-2015 09:34 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  Y've to go here : The HP41 Archive Website
Then "clic" on LIBRARY

Have-I help you ?

Not quite. The library on that website can only be accessed by registered users. And the attached outline of the program only says that the program contains "calendar functions" for the "entire period of our modern calendar that can be calculated with certainty". But it still doesn't say *what* can be calculated. #-)

So the question remains: what does this program do and why is it so special?

Dieter

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 10-25-2015 03:35 AM

(10-24-2015 05:28 PM)Dieter Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 09:34 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote:  Y've to go here : The HP41 Archive Website
Then "clic" on LIBRARY

Have-I help you ?

Not quite. The library on that website can only be accessed by registered users. And the attached outline of the program only says that the program contains "calendar functions" for the "entire period of our modern calendar that can be calculated with certainty". But it still doesn't say *what* can be calculated. #-)

Dieter

Doesn't help. Page 9 is missing in the source listing which means steps 185 through 274 are missing. I think this missing page is what Angel is looking for.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

RE: Looking for ULTIMATE CALENDAR program listing - Ángel Martin - 10-25-2015 06:10 AM

(10-24-2015 05:28 PM)Dieter Wrote:  [

Registration is free and painless - frankly I can;t imagine any reason not to be registered there if you have any interest on the 41...

The program would have been a nice final completion touch for the series of "Calendar" ROM images I have put together, that's all. As an award-winner item it sure had something valuable in it...

Cheers,
'AM