HP Forums
HP35s display font? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP35s display font? (/thread-5123.html)

HP35s display font? - Dieter - 11-13-2015 07:41 PM

I am currently working on a 35s program that evaluates various functions of the major statistical distributions. At the educalc website I found a font package that contains the HP33s keys (which are mostly identical to the 35s) so that the user instructions look quite nice. However, a display font is missing. Of course there are numerous free dot matrix fonts available, but I would prefer something that resembles the 35s display as much as possible, e.g. with the decimal marker between two adjacent digits. Does anyone know if such a font is freely available somewhere?

Yes, I could use screenshots of the 35s emulator ("copy screen"), but that's not quite the same. ;-)

Dieter

RE: HP35s display font? - Marcus von Cube - 11-14-2015 10:27 AM

(11-13-2015 07:41 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Yes, I could use screenshots of the 35s emulator ("copy screen"), but that's not quite the same. ;-)

The bit images for the characters must be present somewhere in the emulator. If someone can extract them in a machine readable format I might be able to do the conversion with a small java or C program and FontForge. I did similar things for WP 34s and the preliminary work on fonts for the 43S designed by Walter.

RE: HP35s display font? - Dieter - 11-16-2015 01:19 PM

(11-14-2015 10:27 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  The bit images for the characters must be present somewhere in the emulator. If someone can extract them in a machine readable format I might be able to do the conversion with a small java or C program and FontForge. I did similar things for WP 34s and the preliminary work on fonts for the 43S designed by Walter.

Thank you for your offer. But if we really have to resort to this kind of things there should be an easier solution: HP's 35s PDF manual contains both the freely available 33s font as well as three others named "HP35S", "HP35SNEW" and "HP35SLCD" (sic!). I assume that extracting these fonts from the PDF should not be a major problem, but I also think that in this case HP will ..."not be amused". ;-) Unless they allow these fonts to be used freely, that is.

Dieter

RE: HP35s display font? - Didier Lachieze - 11-16-2015 10:11 PM

Have you tried the HP 33s font from Luiz Vieira's fonts?
Otherwise the HP 35s fonts are available on this page.

RE: HP35s display font? - Dieter - 11-16-2015 10:55 PM

(11-16-2015 10:11 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Have you tried the HP 33s font from Luiz Vieira's fonts?

I have several fonts of Luiz' font package, at the moment I am using his 82143 printer font for the 35s dot matrix display. ;-)
But obviously I overlooked this one.

(11-16-2015 10:11 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Otherwise the HP 35s fonts are available on this page.

Hmmm... these seem to be the fonts that are embedded in the 35s manual.
Thank you very much – I will try them and see what they look like.

Dieter