HP Forums
HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? (/thread-5335.html)

HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Christoph Giesselink - 12-14-2015 06:55 PM

Has somebody the assembler sources of the 71B KEYBOARD LEX file which is part of the FORTH/Assembler ROM or available as separate LEX file.

TIA,

Christoph

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - rprosperi - 12-14-2015 07:42 PM

(12-14-2015 06:55 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  Has somebody the assembler sources of the 71B KEYBOARD LEX file which is part of the FORTH/Assembler ROM or available as separate LEX file.

TIA,

Christoph

You have mail...

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - charger73 - 12-15-2015 12:21 PM

Hi Bob

It would be very nice, when you send me this source code too..?
Tkank you

Best regards
Tobie

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - J-F Garnier - 12-15-2015 03:18 PM

(12-14-2015 07:42 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-14-2015 06:55 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  Has somebody the assembler sources of the 71B KEYBOARD LEX file which is part of the FORTH/Assembler ROM or available as separate LEX file.
You have mail...

Hi Bob, do you have the real source code, or just a disassembly file?

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - rprosperi - 12-15-2015 04:35 PM

Sorry, I was not clear. I do NOT have source for this LEX file. I may have misunderstood Christoph's request, I thought he was requesting the source and/or a copy of the LEX file, so I sent him the LEX file (binary).

Note that the KEYBOARD LEX file in the FORTH/Assembler ROM is Rev B, however the HPILLINK DOS link utility installs a Rev C version of this LEX file when you initially connect the 71B; it appears this file is somehow embedded in the DOS .exe file as I don't recall seeing it in the installed set of files (I need to double check on my HP-110+).

I can share both (Rev B and Rev C) LEX files if wanted.

Sorry if I raised any hopes.

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Erwin - 01-02-2016 06:43 AM

Hallo!

I own the FORTH-Module but I was not able to run an extern keyboard. I have a keyboard with a serial connector from a mainframe but I can't get a connection via the Keyboard command. Is it possible that the keyboard is to exotic? It is hardly possible to get a PC keyboard with serial connector.
Are there any hints about this problem?

best regards Erwin

(12-15-2015 04:35 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Sorry, I was not clear. I do NOT have source for this LEX file. I may have misunderstood Christoph's request, I thought he was requesting the source and/or a copy of the LEX file, so I sent him the LEX file (binary).

Note that the KEYBOARD LEX file in the FORTH/Assembler ROM is Rev B, however the HPILLINK DOS link utility installs a Rev C version of this LEX file when you initially connect the 71B; it appears this file is somehow embedded in the DOS .exe file as I don't recall seeing it in the installed set of files (I need to double check on my HP-110+).

I can share both (Rev B and Rev C) LEX files if wanted.

Sorry if I raised any hopes.

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - rprosperi - 01-02-2016 04:36 PM

(01-02-2016 06:43 AM)Erwin Wrote:  Hallo!

I own the FORTH-Module but I was not able to run an extern keyboard. I have a keyboard with a serial connector from a mainframe but I can't get a connection via the Keyboard command. Is it possible that the keyboard is to exotic? It is hardly possible to get a PC keyboard with serial connector.

best regards Erwin

Although the keyword is KEYBOARD IS, it really is referring to a terminal, not just a hardware keyboard. (The keyword DISPLAY IS comes in the 71B itself)The terminal responds to certain character sequences (which can be tailored) and sends replies back onto the IL loop. Which is not to say some keyboard could not be connected, but it would have to "act like" a terminal to be used this way. HTH.

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Erwin - 01-02-2016 07:07 PM

Thank you - this means its not a real possibility today. Who owns a terminal ... or there is the possibility? So I have to try the IL-Card on my old PC to simulate it as IL-Device.
But this will be a longer project.

regards Erwin
(01-02-2016 04:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 06:43 AM)Erwin Wrote:  Hallo!

best regards Erwin

Although the keyword is KEYBOARD IS, it really is referring to a terminal, not just a hardware keyboard. (The keyword DISPLAY IS comes in the 71B itself)The terminal responds to certain character sequences (which can be tailored) and sends replies back onto the IL loop. Which is not to say some keyboard could not be connected, but it would have to "act like" a terminal to be used this way. HTH.

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Dave Frederickson - 01-02-2016 08:33 PM

(01-02-2016 07:07 PM)Erwin Wrote:  Thank you - this means its not a real possibility today.

Not true. By "terminal", Bob is also referring to terminal programs like HyperTerm or PuTTY running on a PC or J-F's Term71 for the Portable PLUS. The preferred method would be to connect the 71 to a PC via a PIL-Box or HP-IL to RS-232 converter.

Dave

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Erwin - 01-02-2016 09:21 PM

(01-02-2016 08:33 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 07:07 PM)Erwin Wrote:  Thank you - this means its not a real possibility today.

Not true. By "terminal", Bob is also referring to terminal programs like HyperTerm or PuTTY running on a PC or J-F's Term71 for the Portable PLUS. The preferred method would be to connect the 71 to a PC via a PIL-Box or HP-IL to RS-232 converter.

Dave

I understand that means not via PC-HP-IL-Card? So I have to study the possibility with the HP-IL-RS232 Interface ... exist there any description for such a solution?

I have an old PC with WIN98 running ... a HP-IL-Card (must look how to configure it), a HP-IL-RS232-Interface, the HP-IL-Module for the HP71, HP71 with the FORTH-Module, the JPC-ROM, the Video-Interface and the HP-IL-Disc-Drive. Thats all I can use ...to make some connection.
Actually I only use my HP71 for programming some solutions in Basic (I'm finishing my studies in economy engineering now) and the disc-drive for backup. Got the video-interface running too but without the keyboard function its not very handy - input on the small keyboard of the HP71 and starring on the video screen :-(

Thanks Erwin

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Dave Frederickson - 01-02-2016 09:28 PM

(01-02-2016 09:21 PM)Erwin Wrote:  I understand that means not via PC-HP-IL-Card? So I have to study the possibility with the HP-IL-RS232 Interface ... exist there any description for such a solution?

No, the HP-IL board for the PC expressly supports a remote keyboard and monitor using HPILLink. Also, there are numerous terminal programs in the archives for the HP-IL to RS-232 converter.

Dave

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Erwin - 01-02-2016 09:36 PM

Thanks Dave - so I look for such programs (in the hpmuseums archive?) and hope to find how to handle this

best regards
Erwin

(01-02-2016 09:28 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 09:21 PM)Erwin Wrote:  I understand that means not via PC-HP-IL-Card? So I have to study the possibility with the HP-IL-RS232 Interface ... exist there any description for such a solution?

No, the HP-IL board for the PC expressly supports a remote keyboard and monitor using HPILLink. Also, there are numerous terminal programs in the archives for the HP-IL to RS-232 converter.

Dave

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Dave Frederickson - 01-02-2016 11:11 PM

(01-02-2016 09:36 PM)Erwin Wrote:  Thanks Dave - so I look for such programs (in the hpmuseums archive?) and hope to find how to handle this

See HP-71 KEYBOARD IS WHAT?, CHHU Chronicle, V1N3, p.4. and the section on the RS-232 interface in The BASIC HP-71 by Richard Harvey.

RE: HP-71B KEYBOARD.LEX sources? - Erwin - 01-02-2016 11:23 PM

Got it (have the DVD) so I have a look on this - tks for your help

(01-02-2016 11:11 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 09:36 PM)Erwin Wrote:  Thanks Dave - so I look for such programs (in the hpmuseums archive?) and hope to find how to handle this

See HP-71 KEYBOARD IS WHAT?, CHHU Chronicle, V1N3, p.4.