HP Forums
sigma x squared y on wp34s - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: sigma x squared y on wp34s (/thread-5569.html)

sigma x squared y on wp34s - hank - 01-21-2016 05:59 PM

Can anyone tell me what statistical analysis uses sigma x squared y?

Many thanks!

Hank

RE: sigma x squared y on wp34s - walter b - 01-21-2016 06:32 PM

You find it in the WP 34S Owner's Manual, App. I, Chapter "More Statistical Formulas", in the expression for the sample standard deviation for weighted data (where the weight yi of each data point xi is entered via Σ+ ).

d:-)

RE: sigma x squared y on wp34s - hank - 01-21-2016 06:56 PM

Thank you so much, Walter, for your quick response. I was thinking in terms of bivariate data, not weights.

I want you to know what a pleasure it is to use the 42s. It brings back the excitement of the 41CV from way back in the day. You must be very proud!

Best,
Hank

RE: sigma x squared y on wp34s - hank - 01-21-2016 07:00 PM

I meant the 34s Smile

RE: sigma x squared y on wp34s - walter b - 01-24-2016 03:12 PM

Thank you for your very kind words. I must admit I think all three of us - Pauli, Marcus, and me - are sometimes a little bit proud. Wink And also Sanjeev and Bob can be proud of the WP 31S. Smile

And since pride is like icecream - once you have tasted a little bit you want more - we'd like to see something like a WP 35S / DM 35L (see here) or even a WP 43S (see here*) materializing. Maybe ...

d:-)

*Alas, that most popular thread of the entire forum was closed by our favorite SM since he obviously dislikes impatient little guinea pigs. Sad Waiting for food for years now, they are nevertheless condemned to stay calm - no complaints about late people. Confused