HP Forums
Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? (/thread-5901.html)

Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - Dziugas2001 - 03-20-2016 09:53 AM

Hello,
I've had this HP-42s for a while. Recently I checked Ebay and saw that the prices are insane! I wanted to ask you what I could expect to get for mine.

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - Garth Wilson - 03-20-2016 11:50 AM

Supply, demand, and the ability to match sellers and buyers, sets the price. Before we had the well known auction site, you may not be able to sell it for much because you couldn't find the people who wanted it. Yep, these things go for a lot. My whole set of HP-41cx, HP-71B's, and all the modules, interface converters, accessories, books, etc. could fetch me several thousand dollars, but they're worth more than that to me, so I don't sell them.

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - RMollov - 03-20-2016 01:07 PM

(03-20-2016 09:53 AM)Dziugas2001 Wrote:  Hello,
I've had this HP-42s for a while. Recently I checked Ebay and saw that the prices are insane! I wanted to ask you what I could expect to get for mine.

You need to be more specific. At a first glance this one looks a bit beaten up. $100 ?

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - rprosperi - 03-20-2016 01:27 PM

(03-20-2016 09:53 AM)Dziugas2001 Wrote:  I wanted to ask you what I could expect to get for mine.

The 42S' value totally depends on many things; tell us about these details and it would be possible to give you answers, without them it's just guessing:

Calculator condition: note all scratches, dents, etc. Is anything engraved?
Does it pass all diagnostic tests?
What's included? Case, manuals (which ones), box
Condition of case?
Are you an established eBay seller? A good reputation can add to your item's value.

If all of the above are good news, you may be able to sell it here rather than paying eBay listing fees.

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - SlideRule - 03-20-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:Hp-42s, what is it worth today?
what I could expect to get for mine.
Hmmm... two seemingly divergent questions.
As to what is it worth - current trends, market, etc. many, many variables but discernible to an upper and a lower price based on an evaluation / assessment.
As to what can I expect - lowest price if moved quickly, highest price if patient.
What are your expectations and do you have a FIXED price in mind. Everyone here will give you sound advice and counsel, BUT everyone here will also appreciate a 'good deal'.
My advice, put a price on it and list it in the classifieds, otherwise, enjoy the dialog!

BEST!

SlideRule

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - Dziugas2001 - 03-20-2016 02:35 PM

I've been using it for the last couple of months, and it works fine. The outer shell is scratched up, but not scuffed or broken. There is a big gash above the screen next to the 42s logo. I don't have any documentation, instructions or the box. Don't have a case for it too.

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - Dave Britten - 03-20-2016 03:45 PM

You should keep in mind that SwissMicros is planning to introduce some manner of 42S clone this summer, likely running Free42. This will probably affect the value of an original 42S, but with as crazy as this market can be, it's anybody's guess if they'll go up or down.

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - rprosperi - 03-20-2016 04:25 PM

(03-20-2016 02:35 PM)Dziugas2001 Wrote:  I've been using it for the last couple of months, and it works fine. The outer shell is scratched up, but not scuffed or broken. There is a big gash above the screen next to the 42s logo. I don't have any documentation, instructions or the box. Don't have a case for it too.

This helps a great deal. As others have noted, how much you can get also depends on how patient you are. You can post it in the Classified sub-forum here and probably get $100 fairly quickly. If you choose to put it on eBay (or other online site), then please do not add a posting here (about the listing on the other site) as Forum rules prohibit doing so. You may get more on eBay if you're willing to wait. I also suggest including all the info above to avoid returns, etc.

RE: Hp-42s, what is it worth today? - Dziugas2001 - 03-20-2016 04:33 PM

I put it on the Classified sub forum. http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5904.html