HP Forums
What machines used the AMIGO command set? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What machines used the AMIGO command set? (/thread-716.html)

What machines used the AMIGO command set? - dramsey - 02-19-2014 06:43 PM

There's a relatively inexpensive 9134B hard drive on TAS; however, I'm not sure which machines it worked with. It uses the AMIGO command set...(I'm pretty sure that SOMETHING I have will work with this, but just in case...)

RE: What machines used the AMIGO command set? - Dave Frederickson - 02-19-2014 07:38 PM

According to info on the Australian site, the drive works with Series 80 machines. The drive can also be emulated with a PC and HP-IB card. Just look here.

Dave

RE: What machines used the AMIGO command set? - dramsey - 02-20-2014 05:11 AM

Actually, I don't see anything on that page that says AMIGO was used by anything other than the 9845...

RE: What machines used the AMIGO command set? - Dave Frederickson - 02-20-2014 06:11 AM

Sorry,

The Australian site is www.hpmuseum.net while the link is to the HP 9845 Project which discusses the AMIGO command set and how a PC can be used to emulate a drive that uses AMIGO.

Dave

RE: What machines used the AMIGO command set? - vassilisprevelakis - 03-07-2014 06:25 PM

(02-20-2014 05:11 AM)dramsey Wrote:  Actually, I don't see anything on that page that says AMIGO was used by anything other than the 9845...

Amigo was certainly used by HP Series 80 machines (e.g. HP-85) with the Mass Storage ROM (and the HP-IB interface if they did not have one built-in).

**vp

RE: What machines used the AMIGO command set? - Paul Berger (Canada) - 03-07-2014 07:18 PM

To support Amigo on the Series 80 machines you need the "Mass Storage" ROM some versions of this system have this ROM built in. If you add the "Extended Mass Storage" ROM it will add support for SS/80 protocol. The name Amigo comes from the HP-300 system which apparently was not too successful but its storage protocol lived on in the Series 80 and 9845 and perhaps even later systems as HP did produce a number of storage devices that supported the protocol, and there are even non-storage devices that are attached via GPIB that support the protocol.

RE: What machines used the AMIGO command set? - Jakob Sorensen - 03-08-2014 08:22 PM

The HP Portable Plus (HP-110+) also supports AMIGO by using the AMIGO.SYS device driver included on the B:\BIN directory.

Actually, the HP Portable Plus supports the FILBERT, SS/80 and AMIGO protocols as standard. Any other machines capable of this trick (possible apart from HP Portable / HP-110)?

The HP Portables do not understand the LIF file system unfortunately.