HP Forums
EIGENV in RPN mode - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: EIGENV in RPN mode (/thread-7454.html)

EIGENV in RPN mode - Jean-Michel - 12-22-2016 10:43 AM

Hello all

Sorry for bothering you with such a low level topic, but I can't find out how to use the EIGENV command (be it with a predefined M1 matrix, or a matrix listed in the command, or above in the stack) when in RPN mode, which is my default setting.
I just get "Syntax error" as a result.
No issue when in Textbook or Algebraic mode.

Is it me or is this kind of command not compatible with RPN? This may have been discussed already but I just don't have much time to dig into the archives right now.

Many thanks Advanced and kind regards.

RE: EIGENV in RPN mode - Didier Lachieze - 12-22-2016 10:56 AM

In RPN put your matrix on the stack and then call EIGENVAL with the number of parameters to take from the stack (this syntax is specific to RPN mode).
For ex:
  • M1 EIGENVAL(1)
  • 'M1' ENTER EIGENVAL(1)
  • [[1 2][3 4]] ENTER EIGENVAL(1)

RE: EIGENV in RPN mode - Jean-Michel - 12-22-2016 10:58 AM

Thanks!

RE: EIGENV in RPN mode - Jean-Michel - 12-22-2016 12:47 PM

I was in a hurry last time and did not took the time to post this additional question: since this is not documented in the help text that can be accessed from the calculator (which is to my opinion a lacuna), where did you get this information?

I have had a quick look at the User's Manual (issue July 2015) in the chapter dedicated to RPN and did not find anything similar.

Kind regards.

[EDIT] : I have found it in the RPN chapter. Just needed to read more carefully.