HP Forums
question about storage limits - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: question about storage limits (/thread-751.html)

question about storage limits - Jeff Nye - 02-23-2014 05:09 PM

Hi,

Is there a limit on how large a note can be? I'm also wondering if size limits exist for strings, lists, matrices, and the spreadsheet. If so, what are they?

thank you,
Jeff

RE: question about storage limits - debrouxl - 02-23-2014 07:55 PM

critor's attempts to transfer HP PPL programs generated by the TI-Planet mViewer GX Creator showed that it's hard to achieve reliable file transfers larger than ~1 MB. Above that, frequent data corruption during transfer and calculator crashes - not to mention that transferring 1 MB takes dozens of seconds.
Due to those transfer-related reasons, notes are certainly subject to the same kind of "soft" limit as programs. The definite "hard" limits on size which I can think of are much higher: the Prime's NAND Flash memory is 256 MB large (a firmware upgrade is ~37 MB, the filesystem can be up to 200+ MB), and the higher-level transfer protocol uses 32-bit sizes, so a limit of 4 GB.

Additionally, several places in the Prime's OS still contain arbitrary size limits of 999 inherited from the 39gII, which has much less RAM. Other people are more knowledgeable than I am about those places Smile