HP Forums
Are HP 39gII programs HP Prime compatible - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Are HP 39gII programs HP Prime compatible (/thread-821.html)

Are HP 39gII programs HP Prime compatible - Jim Horn - 03-04-2014 08:00 PM

I'm enjoying my HP 39gII. Its programming language appears to be a subset of the Prime's. Is that true? Specifically, would programs I write be of any use to anyone besides other '39gII users?

I know that the Prime programs I've tried have not worked on the '39 but haven't delved into why yet. Obviously, without a CAS, color display, touch screen and so on there have to be differences. But before I delve into finding them myself I wondered if such information is available already.

*Many thanks* indeed to the intrepid developers at HP and the contributors in this forum!

RE: Are HP 39gII programs HP Prime compatible - David Hayden - 03-04-2014 08:06 PM

I believe that the languages are similar, but that no special effort was made to make them completely compatible.

It would be interesting to dig into this and maybe create a guide to porting code between the machines.

Dave

RE: Are HP 39gII programs HP Prime compatible - patrice - 03-04-2014 09:08 PM

(03-04-2014 08:00 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  I'm enjoying my HP 39gII. Its programming language appears to be a subset of the Prime's. Is that true?
HP 39GII language is an ancestor of Prime.
there are some little differences, but it is mainly the same language.

RE: Are HP 39gII programs HP Prime compatible - Namir - 03-05-2014 07:03 PM

Programs that do not perform graphics (and do just number crunching) should be very compatible. Graphic program need some editing since the graphics range for X and Y coordinates in the Prime are larger.

Namir

RE: Are HP 39gII programs HP Prime compatible - Jim Horn - 03-06-2014 01:02 AM

Thank you, David, Patrice and Namir!