HP Forums
HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] (/thread-8517.html)

HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Benjer - 06-16-2017 06:33 PM

Greetings. Long time lurker but this will be my first post, so please go easy.

Lately I've been experiencing an issue with the virtual calculator, as installed on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. Initially it worked without any problems, but for about a month now only a small window titled "Initialization Error" appears which states "Could not initialize application!"

I have tried using Windows' utility for repairing installed programs, without success. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application. Lastly I've tried reinstalling the latest C++ Redistributable. None of these steps has been effective in resolving the issue.

As previously mentioned this has been going on for about a month now, which should give an indication of the relatively low priorty I have personally given to this issue. The actual calculator and the connectivity kit both still work fine, so I'm not particularly distressed.

In any event, any insights would be greatly appreciated. I have performed some searches online and within this forum for a resolution, but I was not successful. If this issue has been previously documented and resolved elsewhere, feel free to let me know and please accept my apologies for not finding it myself. Thanks, and please take care.

-Ben

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Benjer - 06-19-2017 05:09 PM

Good morning.

I was able to resolve this issue by doing the following:

-Uninstalling the program
-Deleting all registry entries relating to the HP Prime Virtual Calculator
-Reinstalling the program

The program seems to be functioning normally now.

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Tim Wessman - 06-19-2017 08:11 PM

Strange. It was definitely a new error nobody has ever seen on our end.

Glad a clean reinstall was able to fix it.

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Michael K-K - 11-14-2017 03:51 PM

I experience the same on a MacBook Pro with macOS 10.13.1. The problem occurred first with the latest official version a few days ago---while starting up the Virtual Calculator the process terminates and leaving the message: "Could not initialize application!".
Yesterday I installed the Beta of HP CK and VC with the VC not starting. I removed the VC and all related files in "Library" and reinstalled. The problem persists.

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Han - 11-14-2017 03:59 PM

(11-14-2017 03:51 PM)Michael K-K Wrote:  I experience the same on a MacBook Pro with macOS 10.13.1. The problem occurred first with the latest official version a few days ago---while starting up the Virtual Calculator the process terminates and leaving the message: "Could not initialize application!".
Yesterday I installed the Beta of HP CK and VC with the VC not starting. I removed the VC and all related files in "Library" and reinstalled. The problem persists.

Check within your Documents folder as well to make sure you do not have old files that could conflict with the newer beta. ~/Documents and ~/Library are typically where user files and preferences can be found.

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - salvomic - 11-14-2017 04:00 PM

(11-14-2017 03:51 PM)Michael K-K Wrote:  I experience the same on a MacBook Pro with macOS 10.13.1. The problem occurred first with the latest official version a few days ago---while starting up the Virtual Calculator the process terminates and leaving the message: "Could not initialize application!".

hi,
here also 10.13.1 (High Sierra) and all it's ok.
You could try to go in the user Library (~/Library) -> Preferences and remove (or delete the file starting with com.hp... (see attached image) and try to force (Mac) CK and VC to recreate their preferences. Sometimes it helps...

Salvo

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Michael K-K - 11-14-2017 04:13 PM

Thank you, both. I already tried this, deleted all the plists - no luck.

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - Michael K-K - 11-14-2017 04:53 PM

[solved]
Okay, I deinstalled the VC and CK and deleted ALL files related to HP Prime. After rebooting the computer I installed everything and now it's working.

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - salvomic - 11-14-2017 05:07 PM

(11-14-2017 04:53 PM)Michael K-K Wrote:  [solved]
Okay, I deinstalled the VC and CK and deleted ALL files related to HP Prime. After rebooting the computer I installed everything and now it's working.

Well!
It *must* work (you've got a Mac) :-)

RE: HP Prime Virtual Calculator Error [Solved] - mikerovak - 05-29-2023 04:31 AM

I can tell you exactly WHY this happened. See attached screen capture.

During the evolution of the HP Prime Virtual Calculator, something changed in the installer's use of registry entries, the codes changed for installed components. This most likely happened when a new version which was not compatible with the old version was installed without first uninstalling the old version.

Once that happened, both uninstallers could not clean up after themselves, they became confused. A side effect of this is that they way the new program is written, it cannot run in this confused registry state.

The registry is FULL of this crap, I was tempted to write a special program to search out and destroy all the duplicate entries instead of manually going in there and removing them one at a time.

As an added data point, installing the new version virtual calculator on a fresh machine has no issues, which is consistent with this explanation.

Cheers