HP Forums
Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 (/thread-9410.html)

Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 - Joe Horn - 10-31-2017 07:06 PM

If you use the HP-71 FORTH/Assembler ROM, you might find some of my personal annotations in my copy of its Owner's Manual to be useful. The 19 pages containing handwritten notes have been scanned into a PDF (non-annotated pages are omitted).

http://holyjoe.net/hp/Forth_manual_annotations.pdf (8.82 MB)

RE: Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 - Garth Wilson - 11-02-2017 06:47 AM

Thanks, Joe. I copied your notes to my copy of the manual.

I should post my re-writes of some of the Forth words in the module, which dramatically outperform HP's supplied words. In the most extreme case, mine was 13 times as fast, even though I never resorted to assembly language. It will take time to round them up though, and there's already no danger of catching up on my list of things to do.

RE: Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 - rprosperi - 11-02-2017 01:43 PM

(11-02-2017 06:47 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  Thanks, Joe. I copied your notes to my copy of the manual.

I should post my re-writes of some of the Forth words in the module, which dramatically outperform HP's supplied words. In the most extreme case, mine was 13 times as fast, even though I never resorted to assembly language. It will take time to round them up though, and there's already no danger of catching up on my list of things to do.

Please do Garth, as time allows.

I have often read that '71 Forth was quite inefficient (e.g. many of the standard words were bulky when compared to reference Forth samples that were in the literature at the time) though no better ones were published. There were plenty of "missing" words shared in the PPC/CHHU journals, such as VLIST (to display the current vocabulary) - I have found at least 4 of them - but don't recall seeing improved versions of standard vocabulary words.

Don't know how many other active '71 Forth folks are out there (please comment if you are) but I'd like to see them and dabble.

RE: Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 - polbit - 02-21-2018 02:31 PM

Hopefully this isn't too old of a thread to resurrect, but as I'm learning FORTH, I'd love to see those re-writes. Garth, if you ever managed to get them together, or whatever you have available, could you please post them here?

RE: Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 - Garth Wilson - 02-22-2018 07:53 AM

(02-21-2018 02:31 PM)polbit Wrote:  Hopefully this isn't too old of a thread to resurrect, but as I'm learning FORTH, I'd love to see those re-writes. Garth, if you ever managed to get them together, or whatever you have available, could you please post them here?

I just looked through some folders and at my notes in my '71 Forth manual, and there's quite a bit there. It will take a lot of time to try to present it in an orderly way. I have many of the functions timed, with alternate ways to do some of them faster, anywhere from two to fourteen times as fast. I have not looked at this material in 25+ years though. (Much more than my 71, today I use my 41cx, now with Diego's Clonix-D and a couple of new ROM module images in it from Ángel Martin, yay!) My work goes in waves and I'm very swamped right now. I'll try to organize this stuff and put up a web page of it on my site, http://wilsonminesco.com/ .

RE: Annotations for HP 82441A FORTH/Assembler ROM for HP-71 - NetMage - 02-22-2018 08:27 AM

A blast from the past!

As I recall it was a combination of this ROM for my 71 and the ability to dump the 48sx ROM that led to writing TA, the first non-HP disassembler for the 48, re-written as Voyager later.