HP Forums
Analysis of an Ellipse needed - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Analysis of an Ellipse needed (/thread-9751.html)

Analysis of an Ellipse needed - MullenJohn - 12-21-2017 03:03 PM

Hello,
I am trying to enter an equation of an ellipse into my HP Prime and plot the equation and the determine the critical points of major and minor vertices, foci, center and eccentricity.

Would you know how to perform these steps with the HP Prime?

For example, I would like to plot the equation [(X-4)² / 16] + [(Y+1)²/25] = 1
After viewing the plot, I would like the calculator to show the major vertices (4,4) and (8, -1)
After viewing the plot, I would like the calculator to show the minor vertices (4,4) and (0, -1)
After viewing the plot, I would like the calculator to show the foci (4,2) and (4,-4)
After viewing the plot, I would like the calculator to show the eccentricity of 0.6
After viewing the plot, I would like the calculator to show the center (4, -1)
Cheers!

RE: Analysis of an Ellipse needed - primer - 12-21-2017 09:52 PM

I don't know, but clearly that could fit in explorer app. in future release...

RE: Analysis of an Ellipse needed - salvomic - 12-21-2017 09:57 PM

(12-21-2017 09:52 PM)primer Wrote:  I don't know, but clearly that could fit in explorer app. in future release...

yes...
For now, you can test (a part of Geometry) some programs related to ellipses (and conics), by Eddie and Joe:
Perigee and Apogee of a conic
Perimeter of ellipse

Salvo

RE: Analysis of an Ellipse needed - math7 - 01-17-2018 05:24 AM

It could be that in an HP update we are pleased and integrate into the Prime an application for analysis of conics that is sorely needed, as it is already brought by the nspire IT, the Prime being more powerful should bring it. Hopefully Parisse and other team members will listen to us and can add this much needed.