Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series)
07-29-2024, 04:58 PM
RE: Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series)
(07-29-2024 08:50 AM)stagbar Wrote:  I buy a sharp IQ-8400 on internet,but it can't work.
I found that the 8400 is missing 2 chips.
Who can tell me the names of these two chips
[Image: RBjCmg9]

The ICs are there; they're just tiny and can't be properly observed from this angle. Please check this photo:

[Image: Sharp_IQ8300M_5.jpg]

Also, to properly disassemble the upper section, you need to unglue this part, which covers several screws:

[Image: Old-Organizers-Collection-Sharp-IQ-8300-...-56-31.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2024, 03:31 AM
RE: Sharp electronic organizers with the IC card slot (Wizard OZ/IQ/PA/PI series)
thank you so much
Find all posts by this user
08-01-2024, 03:34 AM
so,
my sharp IQ 8400 is died?!
It's with a sharp IQ 870 card!
Oh...
08-01-2024, 03:40 AM
Perhaps it's a short circuit in the wire or a broken fuse?
08-01-2024, 07:12 PM
(08-01-2024 03:34 AM)stagbar Wrote:  so,
my sharp IQ 8400 is died?!
It's with a sharp IQ 870 card!
Oh...

Unfortunately, the OZ/IQ-8x00 series of organizers has quite a high failure rate, much higher than the 9000 or 7000 series. Make sure the installed batteries are fresh.

Fortunately, the IC car should work fine in any other compatible organizer.
08-01-2024, 08:43 PM
I agree, the 8xxx series are nearly all non-op these days, mostly due to failed flex circuit through the hinge to the LCD. With age these have become very brittle and only rarely will you find a working unit. Out of >15 I have owned or had access to, only one works well, and even that one has not 100% reliable video, again due to the cable.

--Bob Prosperi
08-02-2024, 03:31 AM
Will the contents of the IC card disappear? such as basic card?
08-02-2024, 08:47 AM
(08-02-2024 03:31 AM)stagbar Wrote:  Will the contents of the IC card disappear? such as basic card?

A BASIC card has a compartment for the CR2016 battery, which is used to safely store user data in the card. If you want to change the card's battery while keeping your data safe, do this only when the card is in an organizer with good batteries installed.
08-03-2024, 01:25 AM
What about the Basic parser in the Basic card?
08-03-2024, 11:32 AM
(08-03-2024 01:25 AM)stagbar Wrote:  What about the Basic parser in the Basic card?

The BASIC interpreter itself is stored in ROM inside the card and cannot be lost or damaged. The programs you write are stored in the RAM in the card, which is protected from loss when the card is outside the organizer, but this CR2016 battery must be replaced periodically (years) and when you need to do that, do just as Akuji says, be sure to keep the card in an organizer that has known good batteries; even if it will not display, the card RAM contents will be preserved while you swap the battery.

--Bob Prosperi
08-07-2024, 05:23 AM
can IQ 870 card working with IQ 7100M?
08-07-2024, 11:40 AM
(08-07-2024 05:23 AM)stagbar Wrote:  can IQ 870 card working with IQ 7100M?

Yes, but of course the screen width is limited to 16 characters.

--Bob Prosperi
08-09-2024, 10:31 AM
If you ever wanted to know what an IC card looks like inside.

Interestingly, out of hundreds of IC cards I tested throughout the years, this is the only one that is faulty, which speaks well regarding their reliability.

[Image: IC-inside.jpg]

[Image: IC-inside2.jpg]
08-11-2024, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2024 02:58 PM by Akuji.)
Rick Swartz recently became a proud owner of extremely rare Western IC card - CE-902 BASIC. Since public information about it is almost non-existent, Rick's findings regarding some of the card's technicalities are undoubtedly valuable: https://rswartz.blogspot.com/2024/08/a-d...-9000.html

[Image: IMG-20240601-113810.jpg]
08-11-2024, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2024 12:23 PM by rprosperi.)
Wow, truly rarer than the proverbial Unicorn poop!! I saw and was able to use one of these for only a couple hours (at CES IIRC) but since they were never sold by Sharp Electronics Corp (the US subsidiary) there were none available to more closely examine or acquire. A pity as it's quite nice as seen in the article, well worth reading if you have even passing interest in early PDAs, or pocket computers.

Thanks for posting this here.

--Bob Prosperi
08-12-2024, 05:04 AM
Is there ANY practical way to clone the CE-902 card? I assume someone must still have the EPROM adaptor for the IC cards (which could read the card to a HEX file) - Then, finding one of the OTP cards, I assume it'd be possible to clone? (or write the image to a flash card)...

Is there any data around on the various flash cards? (Are they OTP or EEPROMs?) Pinouts on the cards??

I'd give up my unicorn poop for a copy of that CE-902 card!!

Cheers
Andrew
08-12-2024, 11:51 AM
It's pretty unlikely, realistically speaking. The card adapters were always rare and never sold at retail, they were provided only through VAR channels via a couple master VARs (at least in USA). And there were no OTP cards that I recall, the normal card for custom s/w had 64KB flash and 32KB RAM, so you probably could not even shoehorn the 9xx code into one of these cards as I'd assume the ROM is larger than 64K and likely needs lots of RAM since the 9xx BASIC cards had 128KB or 256KB RAM.

But yes, I'd like one too...

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)