Stiffness of TCS Voyager leather case?
09-13-2024, 10:44 PM
Stiffness of TCS Voyager leather case?
I recently bought an HP-15c CE as a replacement for my aging original HP-15c and I'm happy with it.

The included case is a bit floppy, though. Rather then just sliding the calculator in, I feel like I'm stuffing it into a sock. The original 1980s case is noticeably stiffer, making it easier to slide the calculator in and out. I see that The Calculator Store is selling true leather cases. I would expect those to be stiffer, like the original case, but I thought I'd ask here. Are they? For those who are sensitive to such things, how does the feel compare with the old HP case?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2024, 01:14 AM
RE: Stiffness of TCS Voyager leather case?
Could not agree more, the wimpy nature of the case that comes with the 15c CE is easily the most annoying thing about this machine, but of course this is only a problem for users that actually use one on a day-to-day basis, as an everyday machine.

Probably 1/3 or more of these will never come out of the box, another 1/3 to be used by MoHPC geeks like us to test and calculate how much faster it is than an old 15C (to 6 decimal places, after timing it by the eye...) who then carefully put it away until the next f/w release when we want to test it again, leaving 1/3 or less actually being used. And of them, how many have used a classic voyager and so know how a case should feel. Answer is not enough.

Yes, I've griped to all who would listen, and some that wouldn't, but it's a first-world problem to be sure, and I hardly expect it to change, since a stiffer case will certainly cost more, or at that's what any self-respecting supplier will claim. <sigh>

--Bob Prosperi
09-14-2024, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2024 03:54 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(09-13-2024 10:44 PM)naddy Wrote:  I would expect those to be stiffer, like the original case, but I thought I'd ask here. Are they? For those who are sensitive to such things, how does the feel compare with the old HP case?

It is made from rather soft leather, but I think it compares well with the vinyl case of the older Voyagers. Definitely more solid than the "sock" that comes with the calculator, maybe a bit like the kind of leather sofas are covered with. But not sturdy enough to put it in the back pocket of your pants and sit on it!

From all the Voyager series cases that I have seen so far, I think the best one is HP92169 A/B/C, the letter designating the colour. You can see it in this thread, posting #12 in the bottom: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17252.html
There is someone in California who sells some of these as new old stock on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256377796880
Unfortunately with shipping and import duties added, we Europeans will have to pay in excess of 50 Euros for a single pouch which for me is too much (and I already have one...). I would rather put some fresh oil into my sewing machine and make my own one from some leftover pieces of leather.

Regards
Max
09-14-2024, 03:51 PM
(09-14-2024 03:46 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  From all the Voyager series cases that I have seen so far, I think the best one is HP92169 A/B/C...

That's what I ended up purchasing. A genuine HP 92169C soft leather case. Very nice.

A1

HP-15C (2234A02xxx), HP-16C (2403A02xxx), HP-15C CE (9CJ323-03xxx), HP-20S (2844A16xxx), HP-12C+ (9CJ251)

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)