Taking stock in my restored scientific calculator watches.
09-16-2024, 07:01 PM
Taking stock in my restored scientific calculator watches.
These are my science function watches that have been restored.

All have transendental functions and scientific notation when required.

The two on the far right, National Semiconductor (great name) have brand new LCD panels manufactured in Poland. 95% of these suffer from leaky panels and are circa 1976.

The one on the far left is not really a scientific but a very rare conversion imperial to metric to imperial watch and is new old stock. Had the model and waited for a case to show up, that took 3 years to find!

The Casio LCD with the membrane keypads suffer the same degradation to the keypads as the HP pinch rollers and dampening couples; they rot, turn to go or just disintegrate. So all 4 have newly manufactured replacements.

It is really too bad that CASIO did not create all stainless versions of these with better keyboards, but what was the market?

My 10 HPs did not make this list as they have scientific notation when required but it is not direct entry via keypad and there are no transcendental functions.

Enjoy:

[Image: IMG_4648.jpeg]

HP 41C/CX/CL at work. The rest for playtime!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2024, 09:28 PM
RE: Taking stock in my restored scientific calculator watches.
I'm impressed!
I think I have a couple of no name 4-banger calculator watches.

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
09-17-2024, 04:42 AM
(09-16-2024 07:01 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  The two on the far right, National Semiconductor (great name)

As you're probably aware, National Semiconductor (also known as NSC) was a US corporation, unrelated to National Panasonic (appliances, bicycles, and electronics), unrelated to National Electronics (Nixie tubes), and unrelated to National Radio (radios).

During the 1970s, National Semiconductor sold calculators and watches under their own name, and unter a "Novus" brand.

National Semiconductor was founded in 1959, and acquired by Texas Instruments in 2011.
09-17-2024, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2024 08:44 PM by BobVA.)
Fantastic collection!

I gave my Casio Data Bank (middle watch) to a friend for her teenage daughter. It was still working great, but the printed legends on the keyboard were very faded.

It became a lot more hip after it appeared on the wrist of the 80’s version of the character “Vision” in the Marvel TV series “Wandavision.”

Pretty sure I won’t be besieged for requests for HP’s or slide rules due to any similar circumstances. :-)
Yesterday, 12:07 AM
Hello Eric!

Will see your this weekend. Yes, National Panasonic and National Radio, same thing.

Love the name “semiconductor”. Right up there with Consolidated Vultee as an aircraft manufacturer.

BoBVA, no data bank there. All the Casios are the CFX versions with SIN, COS, TAN, LOG, LN, 10X and eX as well as other transendental functions and scientific notation.

The only one missing is the Citizen Round case scientific. Have the four banger form but finding scientific engineering watches is much harder.

Yesterday, 09:24 AM
I love it! How many arms do you have, anyway? I can picture a guy wearing a trench coat and standing in an alley holding one side of his coat open to reveal an array of watches: "Pssst. Hey buddy. Wanna buy a watch?" My son bought a genuine Bolex from such a guy just for the fun of it. It worked for a whole week!

Tom L
Cui bono?
Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Hello tom_…

I like restoring things, and these watches were not functioning and I cannot pass up a wounded watch.

Restored over 200 watches so far…

Cheers, Geoff

Today, 01:36 AM
(Yesterday 09:24 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I love it! How many arms do you have, anyway? I can picture a guy wearing a trench coat and standing in an alley holding one side of his coat open to reveal an array of watches: "Pssst. Hey buddy. Wanna buy a watch?"

I'm reminded of Doc Brown on Back to the Future.
B^)

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
Today, 11:18 AM
I think his was a databank, should have been one of these CFX’s

d:-0

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)