Calculators for Mac Os
04-12-2018, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2018 11:43 AM by pier4r.)
Calculators for Mac Os
I tried to search something but I was not that lucky.

I would like to, well, keeping the comfort zone having a calculator for mac. The point is to have a math environment without the need to open excel or other programming languages (that are surely powerful, but they do not have memory between sessions unless I click "save" or I code persistency. For example with 'bc').
There is little to do, the "continous memory" of calculators is pretty handy more often than not for some calculators.

I am not fan of emulators, but between not having a feature and having it emulated, also emulators are fine.
I tried on hpcalc.org and I found a version of emu48, but it works for the powerPC architecture.
Does someone know any nice calculator with continous memory (without me clicking save) for mac? It doesn't stricly matter if it is RPN/RPL.

Yes I thought about the prime. But I bought it for windows and android and I don't want to "abuse" the free virtual calculator.
Surprisingly (or not) there are not much calculators done for mac.

In the meanwhile I continue the search.

Ah, for those in my same situation but that search for android, check here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-802...l#pid70348

update1: just found the ubiquitous and great http://thomasokken.nl/free42/ . Nonetheless alternatives are welcome. I cannot really find a good search string on search engines.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2018, 01:15 PM
RE: Calculators for Mac Os
More macOS emulators:
- Classic/Woodstock/Voyager Emulators: nonpareil calculators for OS X
- HP-41 Emulator: Genesis-41
04-12-2018, 07:03 PM
(04-12-2018 01:15 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  - Classic/Woodstock/Voyager Emulators: nonpareil calculators for OS X

I like the 34C emulator that Sylvain linked to. I also use Free42 on OS X and NQ41 works on the command line as well (link in sig below).

Try CC41!
04-12-2018, 10:14 PM
(04-12-2018 11:40 AM)pier4r Wrote:  I tried to search something but I was not that lucky.

I don't know if anybody tried to build newRPL Desktop on a Mac, but in theory it should work without any problems. It would count as a calculator.
04-13-2018, 01:19 AM
Since mac OS is true blue UNIX, it has a command line calculator built into it...part of Unix.
04-13-2018, 08:56 AM
I know you are somewhat familiar with a 50g, so I think an emulated one shouldn't be too bad despite your stated preferences about emulators...
x49gp should work on Mac. That gets you a 49g+ or 50g, depending on configuration. 50g is the default one; the differences are minimal though, consisting of a slightly different bootloader used for building the initial flash image, and the visual appearance of the emulator. The other differences between the actual calculators do not apply: trying to implement USB power supply and keyboard feel is pretty pointless, and the communication ports are not implemented anyway. (Well, there is the SD card emulation for at least some way of moving data in and out of the emulated calculator, but USB, serial, and IR are missing.)
There are some snippets of code in it which are explicitly designed for Mac compatibility, so I think Macs are officially supported. (Some tests for Darwin as OS in the Makefile, another test for Linux in ./newconfig which I reversed in my local copy to a Darwin test because that's what it really should be (otherwise there could be issues on not-Mac, not-Linux systems), and an #ifndef __APPLE__ somewhere in the source code for key definitions.)
04-13-2018, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2018 10:29 AM by pier4r.)
(04-12-2018 07:03 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  and NQ41 works on the command line as well (link in sig below).

Does your calculator has implicity memory (like a calculator) or behaves like bc? Bc and all are fine, but as I said the "continous memory" is neat.

(04-12-2018 10:14 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I don't know if anybody tried to build newRPL Desktop on a Mac, but in theory it should work without any problems. It would count as a calculator.

Hmm interesting.

(04-13-2018 01:19 AM)zeno333 Wrote:  Since mac OS is true blue UNIX, it has a command line calculator built into it...part of Unix.
Yes, bc , dc & co . But they are stateless by default.

with stateless I mean.
Suppose the last value I computed is 16.

If I close the app and I reopen it, I see still 16. With bc, dc and likely NQ, the mac calculator, excel when I don't click "save" that doesn't happen (nor with python, bash, awk, java, swift and what not until I code persistency). Free42 has it. It seems a minimal feature, but it can be handy. It is handy on devices, it is handy also in apps sometimes.

udate. NQ-41 is nice but no continous memory as well. http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-961...l#pid95360

04-14-2018, 03:32 AM
(04-13-2018 09:23 AM)pier4r Wrote:  
(04-12-2018 10:14 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I don't know if anybody tried to build newRPL Desktop on a Mac, but in theory it should work without any problems. It would count as a calculator.

Hmm interesting.

And x49gp (as mentioned by our friend 3298) could also work as a last resort to run the newRPL ROM as well (although you'd lose the USB comms ability, and easy save/load of newRPL Desktop).
04-16-2018, 11:47 AM
x49gp seems interesting, but as far as I understood I should compile it right?

04-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Correct, but it's not as big a deal as it sounds since Macs are not quite as amputated as Windows computers in that regard. x49gp also has fairly usable instructions as long as you know how to find and use the terminal (which should be easy enough).
04-30-2018, 08:07 PM
dc is the standard Unix unlimited precision command line calculator and it comes as part of most any Unix environment including OS X.

There is also orpie on the command line.
05-01-2018, 04:25 AM
You might also consider Emacs, which has a built in calc-mode which is very full featured and shares much with the HP48 series in functionality. Like all things emacs it has a learning curve, but I suspect that as HP calculator enthusiasts, most people on this board are willing to accept a learning curve for when the tool warrants the investment.
05-03-2018, 01:57 AM
(04-16-2018 03:19 PM)3298 Wrote:  Correct, but it's not as big a deal as it sounds since Macs are not quite as amputated as Windows computers in that regard. x49gp also has fairly usable instructions as long as you know how to find and use the terminal (which should be easy enough).

At least for x49gp, you want to download the source tree from sourceforge.com and look at README.QUICKSTART. That has instructions specific to OS X (install x11 then xcode, then grab gtk2 and pkgconfig). After that, it's the usual instructions in that file. x49gp most certainly has a state file which saves as it goes along, though at least on Linux there's no window decorations, which is why you need the terminal so you can go kill it with Control-C to stop it. There's also instructions on how to make the SD card file that you'll need to create and mount, but I don't know where the default mount folder is.

Once you've compiled x49gp and made a new config file, you can choose to run it from that folder: x49gp config

Good luck. I enjoy using it as it's the only emulator that seems to have any support for the SD card or loading libraries into Port 2. I don't know how good EMU48 is at that.

(Post 215)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2018, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 03:02 PM by 3298.)
(05-03-2018 01:57 AM)brickviking Wrote:  At least for x49gp, you want to download the source tree from sourceforge.com and look at README.QUICKSTART.
Ehm, no. The Sourceforge version is old and doesn't compile cleanly anymore. There are several forks on GitHub, some of which could be considered official - most notably those by datajerk, maintainer of x49gp from its Sourceforge days, and chwdt, original author of x49gp. Sadly these forks have not been merged yet, but both of them contain the necessary compilation fixes and certain improvements, e.g. my grayscale patch. (Oh, and README.QUICKSTART has been slightly updated and renamed to README.md in both forks to make it show up at the bottom of the repository's GitHub site.)
Both of these people are MoHPC members by the way (datajerk = Egan Ford, chwdt = ecd). There has been an announcement by Egan Ford saying that he is discontinuing his fork in favor of ecd's.
There are some not-yet-public improvements in the pipeline - I sent some patches to the new official maintainer, but he is currently busy with life, so he wasn't able to process them yet. When he does (or when I publish the patches myself), you would get a merge of both forks plus Claudio's fork (which is based on Egan Ford's) plus a load of emulation accuracy and usability improvements. Stay tuned.
(05-03-2018 01:57 AM)brickviking Wrote:  x49gp most certainly has a state file which saves as it goes along, though at least on Linux there's no window decorations, which is why you need the terminal so you can go kill it with Control-C to stop it. There's also instructions on how to make the SD card file that you'll need to create and mount, but I don't know where the default mount folder is.

Once you've compiled x49gp and made a new config file, you can choose to run it from that folder: x49gp config
Alt-F4 or your window manager's equivalent also works (is that Cmd-Q on Mac?), so the terminal isn't actually needed for that. My usability improvements include another way to quit, more usable SD card mounting and unmounting (including switching the SD card while x49gp is running), and then some.
There's also the possibility to use a folder on your disk as SD card - no I didn't add that, it's been there since Egan Ford upgraded the QEMU backend in 2010 (revision 10 in Sourceforge) pretty much forever (sorry, got confused while reading the commit diff; something was changed in that corner of the code, but it wasn't newly added), but it's quite hidden and produces a lot of debug messages in the terminal as well as a huge log file (~3MiB just from viewing the SD card's root folder in the stock firmware's filer). Cleaning that up is part of my patches, of course.
(05-03-2018 01:57 AM)brickviking Wrote:  Good luck. I enjoy using it as it's the only emulator that seems to have any support for the SD card or loading libraries into Port 2. I don't know how good EMU48 is at that.
I use it for Linux compatibility as well as ARM emulation - very handy for debugging (can't test HPGCC3 stuff on Emu48 or similar since that's only Saturn-level emulation, and the physical 50g doesn't have an easy-to-access debug interface). I think Emu48 does support port 2, though it's been a while since I used that program, and I can't test it at the moment. Not so sure about the SD card, but Emu48 can make up for it by being able to import and export objects to/from the stack using menu entries or using drag&drop.
(Slightly edited for historical accuracy and grammar.)
05-03-2018, 01:14 PM
emu48 supports libraries (DavidM is using it extensively).

Thanks for the info about the x49gp forks.

09-13-2018, 01:53 PM
While testing nq41 I search a bit around for terminal calculators (persistent state is a bonus). Has anyone tried wcalc ?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/w-calc/

Of course I am searching for mac, but knowing alternatives for win/linux is great as well.

09-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Did you try the WP-34S & WP-31s emulators? They are available for Mac, Windows & Linux.
09-14-2018, 05:52 AM
Not really because for my understanding they are visual calculators. Not terminal based. But I can give them a shoot too.

For example the free42 is splendid but I wish the keys would be somehow mapped on the keyboard to avoid using the mouse.

09-14-2018, 07:31 AM
(09-14-2018 05:52 AM)pier4r Wrote:  For example the free42 is splendid but I wish the keys would be somehow mapped on the keyboard to avoid using the mouse.

I think the SwissMicros fork has a Curses option.

https://github.com/swissmicros/free42/tr...er/console

— Ian Abbott
09-14-2018, 09:33 AM
(09-14-2018 05:52 AM)pier4r Wrote:  For example the free42 is splendid but I wish the keys would be somehow mapped on the keyboard to avoid using the mouse.

They are:

Code:
Σ+ : a or F1
1/X : v or F2
SQRT : q or F3
LOG : o or F4
LN : l or F5
XEQ : x of F6 (GTO : g)
STO : m
RCL : r
R↓ : d (pi : p)
SIN : s
COS : c
TAN : t
ENTER : Enter or Return
X⇄Y : w
+/- : n
E : e
← : Backspace
▲ : ↑
▼ : ↓
Shift : Shift
EXIT : Esc
Digits : Digits
. : . or ,
R/S : \
÷ : /
× : *
- : -
+ : +
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)