Unhappy Camper
04-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Unhappy Camper
I recently purchased the latest version of the HP Prime. When I went to upgrade it using the HP Connectivity Kit on my Mac, I received the following message:

"Unable to update HP Prime firmware. Versions prior to 2016 08 29 (10637) or OS version 633 must be updated from Windows PCs only."

What is the sense in offering a connectivity kit for the Mac if it can not work the same way as the Windows version? I am not usually a complainer but this is ridiculous.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2018, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2018 03:39 PM by Zaphod.)
RE: Unhappy Camper
I recently dug out my early Prime and had the same problem ...

At home I’ve a MAC, at work it’s PC

It’s no big deal is it ? .... really ? .....

I’ll just take it to work , update it past the cutoff firmware , then I’m good to go from then on at home.....

Quote:The more troubling issue is that you could buy a Prime with ancient firmware on it

Stock sits about for eons in some places .... just a 21st century problem again Smile

At least you can update the firmware , but maybe the hardware isn’t as ‘latest’ as the OP is hoping for ?
04-18-2018, 04:10 PM
(04-18-2018 02:44 PM)johnet123 Wrote:  "Unable to update HP Prime firmware. Versions prior to 2016 08 29 (10637) or OS version 633 must be updated from Windows PCs only."

Hello!

Sorry about that. Unfortunately, the update method used prior required a stupid "windows only" application provided by the hardware manufacturer. We moved away from that so now updates work properly on any system, but it requires some code already running on the calculator to work properly. Kind of a chicken/egg problem...

The good news is that once the calculator has been updated a single time, you won't have to worry about it again. From then on, the updates work easily and seamlessly on mac or windows.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, trying to purchase the absolute latest whatever is easier said than done. Obviously, a manufacturer is probably going to obfuscate the date of manufacture of whatever so that it will be sold, as opposed to being returned or not sold. Maybe we need a federal regulation to stop this type of thing---sure, that will work---not.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)