HP-97S Simulation
04-23-2018, 01:49 PM
HP-97S Simulation
Hi all,

I added the HP-97S to the HP-97 emulator download at http://www.teenix.org.

There is an extra screen in the register pages that allows you to play around with the Interface. I have included program cards with 3 of the examples from the HP-97S user manual that will work with the Interface.

For example, you can set any of the 10 input digits to any one of 16 values, then initiate a "LOAD" and if the interface is ready, it will transfer the data to the calculator which will then do whatever the current program is set for, as long as there is a LBL A somewhere in the program.

There are examples for manual input, variable input, Mean and Standard Deviation, and a continuous random LOAD example. More details are in the help file.

I did start to build a simple I2C connection for the MultiCalc kit which would emulate the 97S interface, but hardware kits are costly and I don't really think there would be enough interest to justify it.

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2018, 04:08 PM
RE: HP-97S Simulation
(04-23-2018 01:49 PM)teenix Wrote:  Hi all,

I added the HP-97S to the HP-97 emulator download at http://www.teenix.org.

There is an extra screen in the register pages that allows you to play around with the Interface. I have included program cards with 3 of the examples from the HP-97S user manual that will work with the Interface.

For example, you can set any of the 10 input digits to any one of 16 values, then initiate a "LOAD" and if the interface is ready, it will transfer the data to the calculator which will then do whatever the current program is set for, as long as there is a LBL A somewhere in the program.

There are examples for manual input, variable input, Mean and Standard Deviation, and a continuous random LOAD example. More details are in the help file.

I did start to build a simple I2C connection for the MultiCalc kit which would emulate the 97S interface, but hardware kits are costly and I don't really think there would be enough interest to justify it.

cheers

Tony

I guess it's time to look into what the 97s could be useful for Smile
Maybe I could recreate the interface for the classic upgrade kit...
04-24-2018, 12:31 AM
(04-23-2018 04:08 PM)Harald Wrote:  I guess it's time to look into what the 97s could be useful for Smile
Maybe I could recreate the interface for the classic upgrade kit...

I think the hardware problem is that the interface is only a part of the overall picture. The interface itself could be quite simple just by piggy backing off the I2C serial EEPROM, ie no changes to the existing hardware. A PIC16F818 will serve quite well as an I2C slave and interface controller with some parallel to serial converters. Total electronics cost for a basic system with PCB would be around $20.

However, for it to be of any use, there will have to be other circuitry created by the user and this will depend on the function required, scales, counters, analog data etc.

Each of these extra circuits will have to decode their outputs to BCD format for the 10 digit inputs, plus the logic for the control lines.

cheers

Tony
04-25-2018, 09:46 AM
(04-25-2018 02:25 AM)emersone12 Wrote:  I've mentioned this before but you need to be setting up your own "Teenix Micros®™" as a commercial venture to sell reproductions of all the old LED calculators that you have resurrected from extinction.

One day maybe, but I never started out expecting to make anything from it all, it's just been a fun and challenging hobby. The rewards for me are that people wanted to use it.

Same old problem with cases, buttons, retro LED displays etc. That becomes an expensive hobby ;-)

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)