DM41L bugs and errata?
05-07-2018, 03:08 AM
DM41L bugs and errata?
I've had a Swiss Micros DM41L for about a month and have found a few things I would describe as bugs. I've looked for a bug list and have not found one. Does such a thing exist anywhere?

For example, it appears that the T+X command does not work on any values representing less than a second, and the Correct function (which has been given its own shifted key) produces a reasonable Accuracy Factor, but then the clock is severely misadjusted.

I'd like to know about other things "not as expected" with this device so as to save myself time and effort trying to figure out what is going wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2018, 08:01 AM
RE: DM41L bugs and errata?
Hello Dan,
I suggest that you become a member of the swissmicros forum (here) and post your issues there.
IMHO you have a better chance of getting your issues fixed on their forum.
Best regards,
Sylvain
05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
(05-07-2018 08:01 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Dan,
I suggest that you become a member of the swissmicros forum (here) and post your issues there.
IMHO you have a better chance of getting your issues fixed on their forum.
Best regards,
Sylvain

Thanks for the link. I registered and will await approval.

Dan
05-07-2018, 08:20 PM
(05-07-2018 02:15 PM)Dan Grelinger Wrote:  Thanks for the link. I registered and will await approval.

If you PM me the user name you used on the SM forum I'll get that sorted for you (I'm a forum admin).
05-09-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm having trouble getting registered on the swissmicros forum, but I am sure it will eventually work its way out.

I was able to search the DM41L bugs posted there, and the ones that I have found are not there. Here they are for those interested, or those who may have seen similar behavior.

1. The T+X function will not do anything with arguments less than a second (less than 0.0001). It is not possible to use this function to fine set the clock to within a tenth of a second, as can be done on the HP-41.

2. Alarms do not 'wake-up' the calculator. If the calc is on, the alarm pops up. If the calc is off, the alarms don't activate until the calc is turned on.

3. The CORRECT function produces a reasonable result for the new Accuracy Factor. But over time, the new Accuracy Factor overcompensates by several orders of magnitude, making the time keeping much, much worse than if no Accuracy Factor is applied.

4. Alpha Scrolling cannot be interrupted. On the HP-41, if a display message is scrolling, the scrolling can be bypassed by pressing a key, in which case the scroll jumps to the end and the calculator will then accept further key presses. The DM41L will continue scrolling with no ability to interrupt it until it finishes the complete scroll.
05-09-2018, 03:06 PM
(05-09-2018 02:10 PM)Dan Grelinger Wrote:  2. Alarms do not 'wake-up' the calculator. If the calc is on, the alarm pops up. If the calc is off, the alarms don't activate until the calc is turned on.

This only happens on a limited number of units because of a change in hardware not long ago. I believe a software work-around either has been found or is being worked on for this.
05-09-2018, 04:04 PM
(05-09-2018 03:06 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  This only happens on a limited number of units because of a change in hardware not long ago. I believe a software work-around either has been found or is being worked on for this.

Interestingly, the issue appears to be intermittent. I am unable to reproduce it this morning. I've applied no updates or made any changes other than to type in a long program into normal program memory and copy it to extended memory.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)