Thread Closed 
Forum behavior
05-10-2018, 02:37 AM
RE: Forum behavior
I would hope that a moderator would not be able to irrecoverably delete posts, but if one can, then I trust that Dave has backups that he can restore from to bring back Geir's posts. If they are all gone forever, that is an unacceptable travesty. Comparable to breaking into someone's house and burning their photographs, IMHO.

If Dave has not kept backups, then maybe if Den wants forgiveness, he will dig into the Internet Archive Wayback Machine to extract Geir's posts and then send them to Dave for manual importation back into this site.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2018, 02:49 AM
(05-09-2018 08:45 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  One rule that I've recently followed more frequently is :

8 - don't feed the troll.

I think that not engaging in troubled discussions is one of the most efficient ways to keep this forum friendly.

If I might propose a corollary:

8a - Add the troll to the "Ignore" list in your User Control Panel.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2018, 03:06 AM
Can I throw my hat to be voted in as a moderator? Here is my platform:

1. All posts not related to the HP Prime will be replaced with cat videos.
2. All discussions about the HP Prime will be positive, else they will be removed and replaced with a cat picture.
3. Real cats will not be allowed to post.

Thank you for your consideration - please vote Tim Wessman for MODERATOR!!!

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-10-2018, 04:10 AM
(05-10-2018 02:49 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  8a - Add the troll to the "Ignore" list in your User Control Panel.

I have learned this practice recently. An excellent feature.

(05-10-2018 03:06 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Thank you for your consideration - please vote Tim Wessman for MODERATOR!!!

Vote #1. LOL!
05-10-2018, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 05:09 AM by Graham D. Wilson.)
I see that Free42 creator Thomas Okken's membership status is listed as "On Vacation". Does this mean is currently banned from contributing to discussions?
05-10-2018, 06:02 AM
(05-10-2018 05:08 AM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  I see that Free42 creator Thomas Okken's membership status is listed as "On Vacation". Does this mean is currently banned from contributing to discussions?

Yes, that is what it means.
05-10-2018, 06:16 AM
(05-10-2018 03:06 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  1. All posts not related to the HP Prime will be replaced with cat videos.
2. All discussions about the HP Prime will be positive, else they will be removed and replaced with a cat picture.

I love cats, you have my vote!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
05-10-2018, 10:16 AM
BTW, I'm really upset the whole GPL thing has been shut down. I wonder if Thomas wants to come back in the first place and would be happy if he did.
05-10-2018, 10:53 AM
(05-10-2018 09:47 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Thomas got banned? Why?

Members here get banned for petty stuff. Den permanently deletes 500+ contributions but remains.

Gene: Thomas wanted his entire account deleted. I banned him in hopes he would reconsider.
05-10-2018, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 12:07 PM by Etienne Victoria.)
To all,

This is a community I greatly appreciate since years with it's quirks, different cultures and points of view.

And to my eyes this is thanks to all contributionsl and a community should remain inclusive.

I'm well aware this is easier said than done for the people who manage/moderate/contribute the forum but would like to take the opportunity to say that the quality of the discussions is brought by Geir, Thomas, Den, Valentin, Gene, Walter...all bringing their knowledge, culture, values and...mindset, ongoing mood...

To Dave:

I fully understand the need for moderation, the work that comes with it and the possible sanctions/banning that can come with the rules.

However, I've learned the hard way that the words "forever", "bad" should be moderately used, therefore, I humbly vote for reinstating everybody including Den as a mod, Walter as a member.

Yes, this is a forum for technical discussions but fed and moderated by human beings.

So let's have everybody back onboard and this whole post auditing, deletion, restoration, 4 words name throwing serve as a warning to all including myself.

All the best to all

Etienne

Edited for spelling (and I'm not finished :-(
05-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Not having followed every nuance of this debate, let me just add some general observations I would hope are self evident truths.

Members should be able to trust their moderators and have trust in a fair process. Moderators need to set an example - in language and behaviour, both in private and public messages. Its like citizens in a society expecting an intelligent, fair and impartial judiciary, with due process.

The mass deletion of information/posts, if true, is an incomprehensible act of vandalism. I work hard on my posts and I expect those posts to help people and remain part of the fabric of the internet forever. I don't have backups of my posts. Considering the reinstatement of moderator status to anyone who has broken the trust of members and has mass deleted posts - cannot be allowed to happen.

Losing Thomas Okken, the father of Free42, would also be an incomprehensible loss to this community and cannot be allowed to happen, if at all possible. Good luck Dave with the cooling off period approach. If you have a phone number, perhaps a phone call conversation could help?
05-10-2018, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 01:35 PM by Manolo Sobrino.)
Tim, yes, cats, please.

I'll start now:

[Image: 1t1ndv.jpg]

(Well, it's a TI, but they're easier for them)

Oh, and I hope you and your family will have a wonderful time in Taipei. Congratulations for that, sounds awesome!
05-10-2018, 02:35 PM
(05-10-2018 01:34 PM)Manolo Sobrino Wrote:  Tim, yes, cats, please.

I'll start now:

(Well, it's a TI, but they're easier for them)

Lovely! :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
05-10-2018, 03:16 PM
I have not contributed so very much (one or two programs) but learned a lot.
However, I'm really saddened not to say genuinely shocked over the extreme political correctness of the overUSAian way this forum turns. One "bad" word, (which I have learned is short for "Fornication Under the Concent of the King) and you get the foot up your behind. Another very annoying and destroyer of the forum with the deletion of a "lifetime" of contributions gets to keep their account..?

I am North Norwegian and very used to "colourful" language, thus never even lift an eyebrow when a "fresh" word or language is used.

I really don't need this forum (as I did "lurk" quite a few years before registering, and can very well continue to do so).
As it is now, I'll just say as the brits; "Tada" until Thomas Okkens profile is restored, all of Geir Isenes deleted contributions are restored, reestablishment of Walters account and Den is banned.

Thank you, it was fun the time it lasted..

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
05-10-2018, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 03:58 PM by Claudio L..)
I think the only person that should be "on vacation" here is Dave. He had so much fire to put out lately he'd go on vacation to Hawaii now if he could, would be easy to recognize him, the only one with an umbrella and a drink, chilling with his feet dipped in lava, feeling totally refreshed.

Edit: I see more new posts... Come on, people... let's put this to rest and give Dave the break he deserves...
05-10-2018, 04:28 PM
(05-10-2018 10:16 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  BTW, I'm really upset the whole GPL thing has been shut down. I wonder if Thomas wants to come back in the first place and would be happy if he did.

I fully agree with Radtke's comment. Thomas has been respectful and for me, informative.
05-10-2018, 04:29 PM
(05-10-2018 03:06 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Can I throw my hat to be voted in as a moderator? Here is my platform:

1. All posts not related to the HP Prime will be replaced with cat videos.

Thank you for your consideration - please vote Tim Wessman for MODERATOR!!!

If you are willing to add dog videos and pictures to the cat videos and pictures, then I'm in: VOTE TIM WESSMAN!
05-10-2018, 05:34 PM
(05-10-2018 03:28 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Edit: I see more new posts... Come on, people... let's put this to rest and give Dave the break he deserves...

I agree. What about we put the energy to try to recover the deleted content? Any pointer of discussions names / threads and co?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
05-10-2018, 05:47 PM
(05-10-2018 05:34 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I agree. What about we put the energy to try to recover the deleted content? Any pointer of discussions names / threads and co?
Maybe the website host has backups. Ours has, but just for the past seven days. Worth a try.
05-10-2018, 05:51 PM
(05-10-2018 05:34 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I agree. What about we put the energy to try to recover the deleted content? Any pointer of discussions names / threads and co?

The Internet Archive Wayback Machine has the Forum as of Early April which does contain some of Geir Isene's earlier posts.

But it would be a messy project to try to recreate the posts here.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)