RANDMAT and RPN
04-11-2014, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 04:11 PM by Bernd Grubert.)
RANDMAT and RPN
Hello,
I'm trying to create a matrix with RANDMAT in RPN mode. The arguments are e.g.

Code:

3: 'M0' 
2:   5
1:   2

When I execute RANDMAT I get the error messagebox RANDMAT(5,2). Obviously, the 'M0' on the stack is ignored.
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Regards
Bernd

BTW: The RANDMAT is only function where I have to specify a variable as target. This looks inconsistent to me compared to e.g. MAKEMAT or IDENMAT.

Edit: Subject.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 07:38 AM by Terje Vallestad.)
RE: RANDMAT and RPN (BUG?)
(04-11-2014 07:14 AM)Bernd Grubert Wrote:  Hello,
I'm trying to create a matrix with RANDMAT in RPN mode. The arguments are e.g.

Code:

3: 'M0' 
2:   5
1:   2

When I execute RANDMAT I get the error messagebox RANDMAT(5,2). Obviously, the 'M0' on the stack is ignored.
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Regards
Bernd

BTW: The RANDMAT is only function where I have to specify a variable as target. This looks inconsistent to me compared to e.g. MAKEMAT or IDENMAT.

You could try RANDMAT(3) as you are taking three elements off the stack. I understand that in RPN for most functions you must tell the calc how many objects should be consumed

Cheers, Terje

Edited formatting
04-11-2014, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 02:41 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Indeed.

Since RANDMAT can consume a variable number of arguments, specifying (3) will work. It isn't that "most" commands in RPN need a specifier, rather those can can consume a variable number of arguments need a specifier else they will default to the lowest number they can take.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Hello,
Thanks Terje and Tim for the help.
I have overlooked this in the manual.
Regards
Bernd

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)