Prime Security ID
08-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Prime Security ID
I recently purchased 2 Primes for my kids from Walmart in the US. On the back of the package in the lower right correct there is a QR code sticker that says:

SECURITY SEALED
TO ALLOW PRODUCT
AUTHENTICATION
<blue HP logo>
Security ID
<11 digit number>
North America
U6

What is that Security ID used for? Authentication? How and why does one authenticate the Prime?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2018, 04:22 PM
RE: Prime Security ID
Tracking where products originate from for internal manufacturer use. It's a fairly standard thing to do now.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-03-2018, 11:17 PM
Thank you for the information, Tim.

If I post a photo of the product packaging online, there is no information in those stickers on the back of the package that I would need to blur out, right?
08-03-2018, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2018 11:34 PM by ijabbott.)
(08-03-2018 11:17 PM)JDW Wrote:  Thank you for the information, Tim.

If I post a photo of the product packaging online, there is no information in those stickers on the back of the package that I would need to blur out, right?

I can't see what anyone would gain from knowing the number unless the serial number can be derived from it. I have one on my Flickr stream.

[Image: 42691046955_4c96d8dfc5_c.jpg]

That picture shows both the security ID and the serial number of my HP Prime.

Let it be known that said calculator belongs to me!

— Ian Abbott
08-04-2018, 12:06 AM
Here are the two photos of the Prime I shot yesterday with my Panasonic GH5 and which I uploaded to my Flickr account just now:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66071596@N...9805228815

I've been thinking about making a YouTube video about the Prime too, especially since there is an utter dearth of videos on the Prime in English (why all the Portuguese?) and an utter absence of good quality videos too (I hate blurry with poor lighting). YouTube is all the rage today, especially with younger people. I have no doubt at all HP could sell more Primes if there were more useful videos about the Prime in English -- yes, even in the US where TI still monopolizes the market.

The back photo shows my SN, but again, I don't see how someone would use that to claim my kids' calculators as their own.
08-04-2018, 10:09 PM
(08-04-2018 12:06 AM)JDW Wrote:  The back photo shows my SN, but again, I don't see how someone would use that to claim my kids' calculators as their own.
Someone could register Your Prime on HP's website on his own name.
08-04-2018, 10:43 PM
(08-04-2018 10:09 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  Someone could register Your Prime on HP's website on his own name.

Not anymore. I just registered it via the HP website, thanks to your tip. :-)

Just to let everyone know, I had to use a VPN to get the HP site to allow me to register it to my US mailing address. Without the VPN, the HP site auto-switches me to their Japanese site, since I am located in Japan. I also tried and failed to register it via my iPhone. An error was generated when I tried that, but when I switched to my MacBook Pro, registration worked fine. Must be some website incompatibility with iOS.

Anyway, my two Primes are registered to me, so I am not concerned about my photos on Flickr. I only posted two photos currently, since I am thinking about doing an unboxing on video, for posting to YouTube. I could make the entire video about "how to actually open an HP Prime blister pack," since that dreadful package is so difficult to open. I requires some serious skill!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)