Postfix algebraic scientific calculators still in production
09-19-2018, 03:02 PM
RE: Postfix algebraic scientific calculators still in production
Years ago at the University, in addition to taking a typing proficiency test (35 words a minute for five minutes with five or fewer mistakes), you also had to take a 10-key proficiency test on an adding machine.

Add up lots and lots of numbers. Had to be very quick as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Both videos were amazing. I'm not sure I'd practice 9AM → 9PM as one of the girls interviewed discussed, but I'm glad somebody does!

I am wondering the actual age of the videos... somehow they seemed dated... 1990s, maybe? Are the squads of "calculator women" still found in Japanese businesses? How about the school competitions?

You can buy some plastic, yet very nice student-grade sorobans for only a couple of $ off eBay. I got one a while ago and quickly trained myself how to do the calculations. When I was practicing, I could go reasonably quickly (4 or 5 digit numbers, nothing really big), but nowhere near what even a Japanese 8 year old can do.

I do think that, as with a slide rule, these manual tools demand that the brain work more actively throughout the calculation and this instills better, more fluid, numeracy, especially in young children. I really cringe to see young gradeschool kids moving to calculators as early as they typically do now (at least in the USA, where my experience lies).

I'd rather some years be spent first on non-electronic methods: pencil/paper, mental, soroban, slide rule, ruler & compass geometric constructs. Calculators are amazing, but understanding what is going on and why should come first.
09-23-2018, 05:05 PM
My blog entry on fast typing on calculators:

http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2018/09/c...ating.html

Thank you for the inspiration.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2018, 07:24 PM
(09-23-2018 05:05 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  My blog entry on fast typing on calculators:

As usual, an excellent post and terrific read. I'm pretty sure this is a typo in your post:

"The video explained that Kamimura was going 9 keystrokes a minute."

I'm pretty sure that I could manage that speed with my toes.

Warmest,

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
09-26-2018, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2018 11:30 PM by ijabbott.)
I got one of these Texet Albert² calculators:

[Image: 44938095061_d9d825c600_c.jpg]

It appears to be a TI-34 clone, but with the keys shifted around (and some relabelled) and a generally cheaper feel with printing that feels like it will rub off after a while (but it was quite cheap!). Also, the shifted function key labels are quite hard to read due to the abominable colour scheme. (Speaking of colours, the rubbery case is available in red, blue or yellow, but when buying from eBay you get a random colour.)

— Ian Abbott
09-26-2018, 11:42 PM
(09-26-2018 11:27 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I got one of these Texet Albert² calculators:

My advice is not buy this, even though it had my name on it Big Grin
I guess it were design to sell in the dollar store, not worth the battery it put on ...
09-27-2018, 07:50 AM
(09-26-2018 11:42 PM)Albert Chan Wrote:  
(09-26-2018 11:27 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I got one of these Texet Albert² calculators:

My advice is not buy this, even though it had my name on it Big Grin
I guess it were design to sell in the dollar store, not worth the battery it put on ...

Texet is a UK company specializing in school and office equipment. Their calculators are made in China of course. They seem to be mostly sold in crates as class packs. They have some other scientific models that are obvious Casio clones.

— Ian Abbott
09-27-2018, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2018 01:01 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
I never seen this clone of the TI-34 before. Disappointing to read that the quality is not good. I also don't like the dark colored text against the black background.

I think Texet is going for an Albert Einstein theme with their calculator names.
09-27-2018, 12:51 PM
(09-23-2018 07:24 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(09-23-2018 05:05 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  My blog entry on fast typing on calculators:

As usual, an excellent post and terrific read. I'm pretty sure this is a typo in your post:

"The video explained that Kamimura was going 9 keystrokes a minute."

I'm pretty sure that I could manage that speed with my toes.

Warmest,

Thank you. Yes, the minute is a typo, it should be second. Much thanks for pointing out my error. Blog entry is now corrected.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)