Omnibook OB-425 Help
10-10-2018, 01:58 AM
Omnibook OB-425 Help
I won this laptop as a door prize at HHC 2018. Am I correct that the OB-425 takes four AA batteries? I tried the batteries and it did not seem to turn on. Does it take long to warm up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2018, 03:54 AM
RE: Omnibook OB-425 Help
(10-10-2018 01:58 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I won this laptop as a door prize at HHC 2018. Am I correct that the OB-425 takes four AA batteries? I tried the batteries and it did not seem to turn on. Does it take long to warm up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Eddie,

I'm thinking that you won one of the Omnibooks I had donated.
After putting the batteries in, did you try pressing the
small reset button on the rear? Try the reset and also try removing and reinserting the batteries several times. It should power up. Also, check the voltage on the batteries to make sure one of them is not dead.

It should turn on instantly with the boot up screen. Once booted up to the operating system, then the on/off basically operates like a sleep switch.

Question: Is it the OB-425 with the OB-425 ROM Card or the one with the OB-430 Rom card? If it's the one with the OB-430 card it is in effect an OB-430 and can load other operating systems.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2018, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2018 04:17 AM by Eddie W. Shore.)
It's the one with the OM-425 ROM. The reset button is not marked. I think it is one next to the large port.

I notice there is a charge since the batteries get warm. Does the panel normally get warm when it's operating?

Still no screen, not even the contrast buttons worked.
10-10-2018, 10:18 AM
(10-10-2018 04:09 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  It's the one with the OM-425 ROM. The reset button is not marked. I think it is one next to the large port.

I notice there is a charge since the batteries get warm. Does the panel normally get warm when it's operating?

Still no screen, not even the contrast buttons worked.

This doesn't sound right. The batteries should NOT be getting warm if the computer is not turning on.

The reset is the small depressible button to the right of the ports on the rear.

Stupid question: Are the batteries inserted correctly? I'm guessing that you are using the AA Everready Lithium batteries I had included. Have you tried a different set of batteries - there may something wrong with the Lithium ones - Note: Which are NOT rechargeable.

You could also try a 12V ac adapter - center pin is negative.

I know the unit should work, since I had tested them all using an ac adapter right before I packaged them up to send out to the conference.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
10-10-2018, 11:52 AM
I tried two sets of AA batteries, one set is the one you included.

The AC adapter sounds like a safer alternative. I'll have to hunt for one.
10-10-2018, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2018 02:03 PM by Zaphod.)
Having briefly looked this model up it would appear the battery polarity is clearly marked up on the cabinet, so it's doubtful you could get it wrong... but still I've seen some companies use the spring as the positive instead of the crushed spring.

Anyway, I also found the service manual for it in case you need to open up and find out what's causing the heavy current drain (not that it wasn't a fast battery depleting model anyway, but warm batteries indicate a short or lower than normal impedence )

If the batteries are getting warm , it's possible an adaptor would die if presented with the same low impedence.
Can you measure across the + and - terminals with a multimeter to see what resistance you get ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...YL831OAsDN
10-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Hi Eddie,

Could you give us an update on whether you were able to get the 425 working.

Thanks,

Bill
Smithville, NJ
10-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay. I came down with illness over the last few days, feel better today.

I haven't had a chance to try it again with the Omnibook.

The AC adapter still looks like a good alternative.

Eddie
10-21-2018, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2018 02:53 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
Update:

Inserted new AA alkaline batteries. Pressed the On/Off button. No response.

Pressed the reset button in the back. No response. Thankfully, the panel isn't warm.

After a couple minutes of no response, went to take out the batteries. Batteries are OK to the touch.

After a two minutes, I reinserted the batteries. Pressed the reset button. Pressed the On/Off button. No response again.

The package had a CompactFlash PC Card Adapter. Tried with the adapter inserted. Still no luck.

I don't have a multimeter. I attached a picture of the battery compartment below.

I have a stupid question: if I get an adapter, do I have to have batteries in the compartment? Will I need to get a 4.8 vdc nickel-metal-hydride rechargeable battery pack?

Eddie

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)