The fate of collected calculators.
01-25-2019, 02:15 AM
RE: The fate of collected calculators.
(01-24-2019 07:15 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Just like a watch is a watch, a car a car...
Yes, you're right, of course.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course
(Name that show Smile )

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2019, 07:45 AM
(01-25-2019 02:15 AM)mfleming Wrote:  
(01-24-2019 07:15 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Just like a watch is a watch, a car a car...

A horse is a horse, of course, of course
(Name that show :) )

Had to do a little googlin' ;)
Mr ED

I faintly remember a talking quadruped on the TV...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2019, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2019 12:22 PM by EugeneNine.)

when they get really old a car is just a car to most people. If someone passed away that owned a 1982 Toyota their family would most likely just donate it for a $500 tax writeoff.

And a lot of people make a good living going to estate sales and buying 'retro' stuff for next to nothing then selling on ebay for a bunch of $$$.
01-27-2019, 11:18 AM
(01-24-2019 08:59 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  You're lucky! My wife isn't the least bit interested either but she has no idea of the value of any of it. ...
Who knows? You could get an HP 9110A for $20.00 or an Altair 8800 with ASR33 TTY for the price of shipping! Don't hold your breath, though. My latest checkup was superb. Low A1C, cholesterol, etc. Wink
My wife is not interested too but she brought me back several calculators she saw in flea markets. She knows that at least HP calculators I own are worth a lot.
To her, the more keys calculators have the more are apt to interest me. Anyway when she attends a flea market alone she phones me when she sees something that could interest me.

My site http://www.emmella.fr
01-29-2019, 04:30 AM
Many calculators will be discarded when their processor eventually stops working. Whilst it will be possible to create faithful replicas of some models thanks to hardware and software documentation and the hard work of enthusiasts, I think most will slowly be forgotten once the last surviving units stop working.
01-29-2019, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2019 11:53 AM by pier4r.)
About the last post. Integrated circuits like CPUs though normally lasts pretty long. I am more concerned about PCB, capacitors and co.

Or keyboards.

I use my 50g actively for debugging, because I want to see the real thing running, and this means pressing SST often, or F2. I hope the keyboard is as durable as the keyboard of my (cheap) computer keyboards, therefore living for hundreds of thousands of (moderate) clicks. Otherwise I am going to wear down some crucial keys.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
01-29-2019, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2019 02:48 PM by Hlib.)
All of my out-of-date calcs were donated or thrown into the trash. My collection is not a Museum, but always calculators loaded with calculations. Therefore, I currently have only two or three calculators (I meaning brands) that meet my needs. If not, I give them to someone, or I put them next to the dumpster.
01-31-2019, 06:53 AM
(01-29-2019 11:53 AM)pier4r Wrote:  I use my 50g actively for debugging, because I want to see the real thing running, and this means pressing SST often, or F2. I hope the keyboard is as durable as the keyboard of my (cheap) computer keyboards, therefore living for hundreds of thousands of (moderate) clicks. Otherwise I am going to wear down some crucial keys.

One way to save the keys is to use Debug4x. I used it to write SysRPL programs for the 50g, it has a very good simulator.
01-31-2019, 09:27 AM
Yes (or the emu48). The fact is that I want to use the real thing out of principle. Still I wonder if I overuse it (although to be honest I have urst of activity and then life happens).

So if on average the buttons of the 50g last some 100k clicks I think I am quite saved. I'll see.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
01-31-2019, 01:34 PM
(01-27-2019 11:18 AM)badaze Wrote:  
(01-24-2019 08:59 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  You're lucky! My wife isn't the least bit interested either but she has no idea of the value of any of it. ...
Who knows? You could get an HP 9110A for $20.00 or an Altair 8800 with ASR33 TTY for the price of shipping! Don't hold your breath, though. My latest checkup was superb. Low A1C, cholesterol, etc. Wink
My wife is not interested too but she brought me back several calculators she saw in flea markets. She knows that at least HP calculators I own are worth a lot.
To her, the more keys calculators have the more are apt to interest me. Anyway when she attends a flea market alone she phones me when she sees something that could interest me.

If you're ever tired of your wife, send her to me! She sounds like a gem!

Tom L
Cui bono?
02-01-2019, 10:12 AM
I've been wondering just how many different hand held electronic calculator models have rolled off the production lines since the first circa 1970. My very crude guess is 4 times the number of calculators in the largest collections, i.e. between 15,000 and 20,000 models.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)