pet peeve: CAPTCHA
05-06-2019, 04:55 PM
pet peeve: CAPTCHA
I LOATHE these.

I agree with the principle behind them, but the implementation simply does not work. Whenever I encounter one of these things, I enter what I think they want me to, but invariably my guess is wrong and I have to guess again. If I am trying to order something online and encounter these, I end up calling the 800 number and talking to a human being.

If we put a man on the moon a half-century ago, surely we must have a better way of doing this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2019, 05:19 PM
RE: pet peeve: CAPTCHA
These are annoying specially when poorly implemented for human reading.

In the mind of the creators, they must be almost unreadable so a computer would be fouled blocking automated workers of doing nasty things in their systems.
The problem with that is that if a computer can't read it, then most of the regular humans can't either.
So the utility of such protection mechanisms is limited and time wasting.

Nowadays there are better security measures of protecting systems and data while able to securely authenticate a human being. Financial and business corporations allow their customers to safely access their services remotely without using such almost obsolete technology as a captcha.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Hello!

(05-06-2019 04:55 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  If we put a man on the moon a half-century ago, surely we must have a better way of doing this.

There is indeed a better way: Just leave it away :-)

99,9% of all websites, webshops, forums, booking sites, ... work perfectly well without this crap. So why on earth do the remaining 0,01% of webmasters think they need that?

Regards
Max
05-06-2019, 06:22 PM
(05-06-2019 06:17 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

There is indeed a better way: Just leave it away :-)

99,9% of all websites, webshops, forums, booking sites, ... work perfectly well without this crap. So why on earth do the remaining 0,01% of webmasters think they need that?

Regards
Max

I agree with you, Max. If Amazon does not need them, it's hard to understand why anyone would.
05-06-2019, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2019 08:25 PM by ijabbott.)
Google's reCAPTCHA v3 is not so bad. I've no idea how effective it is though.

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)