41CV won't turn on after reassembly. Did I kill it?
05-12-2019, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2019 05:35 AM by g8241CV.)
RE: 41CV won't turn on after reassembly. Did I kill it?
Enjoyed seeing you've had success bringing another 41 back to life. Congrats.

Before you do a final close including installation of the foot pads, still suggest you try DeOxit on all the keypad pores -- for a silky smooth keyboard. You may have somewhat forgotten how great the BOL 41 tactile sensation was; IMHO you get that back with the DeOxit treatment
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2019, 02:01 PM
(05-12-2019 01:32 AM)burkhard Wrote:  If you wait too long on a 41CL, it will be assuredly too late. The electronic components these sort of projects are based on are not produced forever. When they are discontinued, the party is over. Or at least the music has stopped and anybody who didn't grab a seat is out (non-US readers... a reference to a children's party game here).

Get while the gettin's good! Tick tick tick...

Indeed. This was intended to be part of my comments, but in my enthusiasm about the CL, I never got to the point. I believe Monte has said that several of the components in the CL design are EOL and the current batch could well be the final batch. So waiting too long could mean your only choice is to buy from folks that already own one. Ideally we'd like to think that no one bought one solely to sell later at inflated prices, but I would not be surprised if that does happen.

--Bob Prosperi
05-12-2019, 02:10 PM
(05-12-2019 05:33 AM)g8241CV Wrote:  Enjoyed seeing you've had success bringing another 41 back to life. Congrats.

Before you do a final close including installation of the foot pads, still suggest you try DeOxit on all the keypad pores -- for a silky smooth keyboard. You may have somewhat forgotten how great the BOL 41 tactile sensation was; IMHO you get that back with the DeOxit treatment

I hadn't used a 41 until I bought mine around 2015, so I have no real frame of reference for what a brand new 1979 unit feels like. Smile

I've got some Deoxit arriving today, so maybe I'll open the back again and add a few drops. The power key on mine has always been fairly stiff, but since it's not actually used during operation of the calculator, I've never been overly bothered by it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2019, 02:12 PM
You'll need to wait until the Estate Sale to get my CL Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-12-2019, 02:30 PM
(05-12-2019 02:12 PM)mfleming Wrote:  You'll need to wait until the Estate Sale to get my CL Smile

1 +, and well said.

And Dave - I never said it above but yes, congrats on restoring your CV. It usually feels good to bring any old machine back to life, but doing so with a 41 always feels particularly good. Partly because there are so many potential issues that must be corrected, but mostly, it's simply because another 41 lives again!

--Bob Prosperi
05-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Well, what can I say? My bank manager is probably going to crucify me tomorrow!
05-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Wow, you guys aren't kidding about Deoxit. I ordered the big 25 mL bottle of the red stuff, and worked a few drops into the On and 6 keys using an insulin syringe. The 6 key took two tries, but is much improved now (I can sometimes get a bounce if I press it just right). The On key, which has always required quite a firm press, now responds to the lightest touch. I've noticed these two keys don't have as audible a click now, which I assume is a side effect of the protective film and/or a little residual moisture that needs time to work out. They don't feel meaningfully different, though.

I need to see what else I can do with this stuff. I bet it'll work wonders on Atari 2600 paddle controllers.
05-12-2019, 07:44 PM
(05-12-2019 02:46 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Well, what can I say? My bank manager is probably going to crucify me tomorrow!

That's the spirit!! Big Grin

Looking forward to your feedback. Maye we can even pull Dave over to the Light side, while there is still time to act. Undecided

--Bob Prosperi
05-12-2019, 08:02 PM
(05-12-2019 07:44 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(05-12-2019 02:46 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Well, what can I say? My bank manager is probably going to crucify me tomorrow!

That's the spirit!! Big Grin

Looking forward to your feedback. Maye we can even pull Dave over to the Light side, while there is still time to act. Undecided

It's not that I don't want one - anybody that knows me could tell you that - it's that I have a certain baseline of fiscal prudence to maintain. Wink

(Now, if this were a replacement 200LX motherboard with an FPGA 386/486 and 32 MB of SRAM we were talking about, I would have already failed to maintain that baseline.)
05-13-2019, 01:28 AM
(05-12-2019 08:02 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  (Now, if this were a replacement 200LX motherboard with an FPGA 386/486 and 32 MB of SRAM we were talking about, I would have already failed to maintain that baseline.)

Monte?

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-14-2019, 06:09 PM
A sacrifice for a just cause Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)