HP Prime Firmware Update Fix
12-16-2013, 11:29 PM
HP Prime Firmware Update Fix
I have been unable to update my HP Prime with the new firmware release and
others have posted this same issue on the old HP forum. I called HP support
today and got the solution.

Apparently some makes of computers will not install the firmware while other
computer brands will. If you're computer fails to install the firmware, you
don't have to find another computer to install it.

Simply restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and the firmware installs
successfully. This works for Windows 7 OS 64-bit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2013, 01:06 AM
RE: HP Prime Firmware Update Fix
That's interesting and good to know. I too have had no luck updating with this nice HP dv7 laptop. You would think it would be on the "good" list! I do hope the problem can be resolved in the future though.
12-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Hello,

Can you explain exactly how the process fails?

does it start the update and then stops in the middle of the file or is unable to detect the calcualtor?
any error message displayed?

Cyrille
12-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Cyrille, not sure if you are asking me or John but here is something about my situation from the MoHPC list:

"I'm also having no luck updating the physical calculator. It appears the CK and virtual calc are happy (latest versions) but when I try to connect the physical device and select "update" I see a message at the top of the Prime screen (something like Recovery Mode...V13 I believe) and the message box on the PC screen attempts to do the update (5-6 automatic retries) and then ends (fails) with error 104. At this point the physical Prime is no longer shown in the CK list and the Prime itself is unresponsive until it is reset via paperclip."

I have tried using both the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on the dv7 with the same results. I haven't had time to try another system and some of the other suggestions that came along subsequently, just been laying in wait for a complete solution or a real need to update.
12-17-2013, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2013 11:19 PM by John Colvin.)
(12-17-2013 09:43 AM)cyrille de brĂ©bisson Wrote:  Hello,

Can you explain exactly how the process fails?

does it start the update and then stops in the middle of the file or is unable to detect the calcualtor?
any error message displayed?

Cyrille

It starts the update and brings up the firmware update window with the correct
file but then the USB connection fails (disconnects) immediately after that. The firmware update window continues with retry messages for a short time and then
stops with an update failed message. Windows OS does not give any error messages,
just the two tone USB disconnect signal when the USB connection is broken by
the installer software.

It appears that this problem occurs only on certain makes of PCs so it may be a driver compatibility issue.
I am using a Sager np9170 (Clevo) laptop.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)