Free42 bug, or my mistake?
05-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Free42 bug, or my mistake?
I'm playing around with Free42 at the moment, working the examples in the 42s manual, and notice that if I have a scalar value stored in variable MATA, MATB, or MATX, and then start the SIMQ (simultaneous equations) routine and input reasonable dimensions when requested, the program crashes. On 64-bit desktop Linux the crash is immediate, but on Android it hangs for about 10 seconds before crashing.

Has anybody else come across this? Is the real 42s affected? Should I report it as a bug?

Thanks.

R.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2014, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 07:55 AM by jebem.)
RE: Free42 bug, or my mistake?
Do you mean the Thomas Okken "Free42 — An HP-42S Calculator Simulator"?
I never tried it, but it seems a nice project, it evens has binaries for Windows!

That said, I prefer to use emulators where the real ROM firmware from the original calculator is used. It will give a closer behavior to the real physical device.

There a few emulators for the HP-42S, I am using at the moment the Christoph Giesselink version for Windows.

In case You do not run Windows natively, you can use a hosted hypervisor for your preferred hosting operating system.

By the way, what is the 42S manual that you are referring to?
Maybe I can duplicate the issue in my emulator program here.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-17-2014, 09:16 AM
(05-16-2014 11:29 PM)r. pienne Wrote:  Has anybody else come across this?
Can confirm the bug on Linux and iPhone.

Quote:Is the real 42s affected?
Just tried Christoph Giesselink's emulator: The answer is no.

Quote:Should I report it as a bug?
Yes.

Cheers
Thomas
05-17-2014, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 09:23 AM by RMollov.)
(05-16-2014 11:29 PM)r. pienne Wrote:  I'm playing around with Free42 at the moment, working the examples in the 42s manual, and notice that if I have a scalar value stored in variable MATA, MATB, or MATX, and then start the SIMQ (simultaneous equations) routine and input reasonable dimensions when requested, the program crashes. On 64-bit desktop Linux the crash is immediate, but on Android it hangs for about 10 seconds before crashing.

Has anybody else come across this? Is the real 42s affected? Should I report it as a bug?

Thanks.

R.
I don't understand your problem, but why don't you contact Thomas Okken directly?
05-17-2014, 09:30 AM
(05-17-2014 09:16 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
Quote:Is the real 42s affected?
Just tried Christoph Giesselink's emulator: The answer is no.

I have checked a few examples on solving simultaneous equations using matrices from this "HP42S Programming Examples and Techniques" guide, starting on page 163.

No issues when using the Christoph Giesselink's emulator as well.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-17-2014, 10:00 PM
This is a bug, and it affects all versions. It will be fixed in the next release.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...0Z5pHGxzDw

- Thomas
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2014, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2014 02:37 PM by John Smitherman.)
Thomas, a bit of feedback - the update was delivered perfectly through Google Play to my Nexus 7 tablet running Android version 4.4.2.

Regards,

John
05-27-2014, 04:10 AM
Another Android user here. Thanks a lot, Thomas!
05-27-2014, 02:12 PM
+1 (nice to know Google Play auto-update works for apps other than those that advertise too)

--Bob Prosperi
05-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Release 1.5.3 of Free42 was also delivered automatically (presumably at the same time) to my Samsung Galaxy S4. Thanks Thomas K!!

Jeff K
05-27-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm away on holidays at the moment, but I look forward to downloading when I get back. Thanks Thomas for the fast response and the great software!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)