HP-48/49/50 emulation on iOS
11-26-2020, 12:13 AM
RE: HP-48/49/50 emulation on iOS
Opened my M48+ app today on my iPhone and it launched and closed immediately. Same thing happened on my iPad. Both were recently updated to IOS 14.2 and this has apparently killed the app.

Very bummed as I've been using this app nearly daily for years. Have known this day was likely coming but it still stinks.

Have many programs from my actual HP48 ported over to the iPhone/Pad because I carry the phone with me all the time whereas the HP48 stays at home on my desk.

Really hope someone is able to resurrect the app and deal with the Apple ROM download/copyright issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2020, 05:03 AM
Sounds like a good time to upgrade to an Android phone. Emu48 works amazingly well on Android. No reason to be stuck with an iPhone when superior Android phones exist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-26-2020, 12:14 PM
(11-26-2020 12:13 AM)E63S4Me Wrote:  Opened my M48+ app today on my iPhone and it launched and closed immediately. Same thing happened on my iPad. Both were recently updated to IOS 14.2 and this has apparently killed the app.

Very bummed as I've been using this app nearly daily for years. Have known this day was likely coming but it still stinks.

Have many programs from my actual HP48 ported over to the iPhone/Pad because I carry the phone with me all the time whereas the HP48 stays at home on my desk.

Really hope someone is able to resurrect the app and deal with the Apple ROM download/copyright issue.
I got the same problem once I upgraded to iOS14.2, I managed to solve it by reinstalling the application from the ipa. I made a backup of the installation file (.ipa) years ago when iTunes permitted so. The version I have is 1.3.3 which isn’t the last one.
11-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Hi,

I've purchased iMazing to be able to install m48+ from my older iPhone to my new iPhone 12, but I can't make it work.

I already have a "m48+.imazingapp" file, so I launch iMazing, open and connect to my new iPhone, go to "app manager" and drop the file there. After that iMazing reinstall the all iPhone system and tries to download m48+ from app store... Sad

What am I doing wrong? How can I retrieve the m48+ from my older iPhone to my new iPhone 12?

Please help, Thanks!
11-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Just thinking out loud here -- would it be an option to build m48 and/or m48+ with newRPL built into the app, so that it would be able to run without needing to download a ROM from an external server, and thus pass the review process? I'm guessing that the capability of downloading ROMs isn't the issue, it's the requirement of downloading a ROM before the app is even functional.
11-28-2020, 07:01 AM
(11-26-2020 06:17 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Just thinking out loud here -- would it be an option to build m48 and/or m48+ with newRPL built into the app, so that it would be able to run without needing to download a ROM from an external server, and thus pass the review process? I'm guessing that the capability of downloading ROMs isn't the issue, it's the requirement of downloading a ROM before the app is even functional.

That would be an interesting option, but a new iOS emulator based on x49gp would have to be written in order for that to work- m48+ is based on emu48, which cannot emulate the ARM processor required by the newRPL alternate firmware. Instead, it directly emulates the older HP proprietary (Saturn family) processors that the HP49G+ and HP50G (and others) _also_ emulate on ARM hardware.

x49gp is the only emulator that I know of that runs the complete software environment of the newer calculators, including ARM code. ARM emulation is required for the newRPL firmware, since it's compiled to run directly on the ARM processor of these newer calculators.

It might be possible to port newRPL to iOS directly, but at that point it would be a completely new app, unrelated to m48+.
12-27-2020, 10:39 AM
Hi

New to this forum, as like many I am also looking for way to get m48 reinstalled.

@dmarsh you indicated to have a running new version.
Personally I would be fine to have it running via an xcode compile but I must admit I haven't played around with building my own IOS apps to much.

Did you use the https://github.com/wyan/m48plus archive?

Do you happen to have any instructions on how to get things up an running?

thanks for any advice.

Regards
Remi
12-29-2020, 04:11 AM
(12-27-2020 10:39 AM)remi71 Wrote:  @dmarsh you indicated to have a running new version.
Personally I would be fine to have it running via an xcode compile but I must admit I haven't played around with building my own IOS apps to much.

Did you use the https://github.com/wyan/m48plus archive?

Do you happen to have any instructions on how to get things up an running?

You will need an Apple developer account in order to build the code on a mac in Xcode and a paid account is needed to run it for longer than 2 weeks on your hardware without a recompile.

My version is based on the original source code sent to me by the author a couple of years ago, but that was the same version as the github repository you mentioned.

I have made various additional changes needed to get it to run independently of the author's web site and fixed a number of minor bugs, but haven't published my version anywhere yet. I'll be sure to post here when I do, but in the meantime I would be happy to send a snapshot of my tree if you PM me an email address.

All that should be needed is to replace my developer account with your own for the code signature, modify the bundle ID to something unique, then compile and run.
01-09-2021, 12:10 AM
Hello everyone,

I have looking for a while, whit different emulators, the Prime, and so on. And really miss my m48+.

So, I decide to make it work again as suggested by few with xcode, recompile it and use it for a week.

It's no so simple, a lot of compilation issues, many developments to be updated, internet connections not working and to nowhere.

But I today, thanks to the quarantine, I have my working emulator.

Now I'm working on clean it, I have purchase a Developer account and I'll submit it to Apple Store soon.

I you want to support this initiative, you can from here.

Hope to get the submission approval from Apple and have great news soon.

Artista
01-09-2021, 04:22 AM
Hi Artista,

That is great to hear! I'm looking forward to seeing m48/m48+ resurrected.
Great work, please keep us posted!

Thomas
01-11-2021, 06:47 AM
I look forward when @dmarsh or someone shares a newer copy than what is on wyan/m48plus Github. I would also appreciate a copy of the different skins (especially all the m48 Don't Panic versions) if someone can put those online. There are a ton of references in the Skin Library folders in Xcode that are not included with the source which is a bit frustrating.

However I am happy to report AutoSetup seems to work just fine on my iPhone 12 (just put the ROM files in the appropriate folders and you are good to go).

Anyway I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
01-28-2021, 04:00 PM
Now it calls iHP48. And it's available at Apple Store.

I'm still working on make it compatible with iOS, it has a lot of deprecated functions and some that I simple don't like or need.

Actually, I'm just interested on have the 48 on my cell. Smile

The current if functional enough to share.

Please have a look at https://thinkchile.com/iHP48

Enjoy it!
01-28-2021, 07:00 PM
(01-28-2021 04:00 PM)Artista Wrote:  The current if functional enough to share.

Enjoy it!

Thank you! Now I can have by beloved 48SX keyboard layout again! I would happily pay a bit of money for future releases to help keep it available.

I was struggling to use i48, as it seems to have issues with registering key presses reliably, at least for my finger size.
01-28-2021, 07:13 PM
(01-28-2021 04:00 PM)Artista Wrote:  Now it calls iHP48. And it's available at Apple Store.

This is great, well done, thank you! I just installed it, and as cruff has also noted, the keyboard works much better than in i48, so I'm very glad to see m48 brought back to life like this.

(01-28-2021 07:00 PM)cruff Wrote:  Thank you! Now I can have by beloved 48SX keyboard layout again! I would happily pay a bit of money for future releases to help keep it available.

I was struggling to use i48, as it seems to have issues with registering key presses reliably, at least for my finger size.

There is a PayPal donation link on Artista's web site. I just put a little something in the tip jar myself. Smile
01-29-2021, 03:04 AM
(01-28-2021 07:13 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  There is a PayPal donation link on Artista's web site. I just put a little something in the tip jar myself. Smile

Doh! I was so excited to get this back on my phone I skipped right over that.
02-06-2021, 12:28 PM
Fantastic!

Well done. It works and looks great! I just need to figure out how to use an old .m48 saved from from HP48+ (does not seem to like the .xml file for some reason)

Regards
Camell
02-08-2021, 06:03 AM
(01-28-2021 04:00 PM)Artista Wrote:  Now it calls iHP48. And it's available at Apple Store.
[...]

Enjoy it!

Wow!! I've been waiting for this for so long. Totally fantastic -- thank you so much!
02-12-2021, 04:08 PM
I recall somewhere in Markus Gonser's webpages there as a tutorial/explainer on how to import programs. Something to do with Up and Down sub-programs which convert the necessary characters such as the "-->" ( generally prefaces with a "/". Does anyone still have this documentation?
02-12-2021, 09:23 PM
(02-12-2021 04:08 PM)Camell Wrote:  I recall somewhere in Markus Gonser's webpages there as a tutorial/explainer on how to import programs. Something to do with Up and Down sub-programs which convert the necessary characters such as the "-->" ( generally prefaces with a "/". Does anyone still have this documentation?

I think you might be referring to the 'IN' and 'OUT' programs, combined into 'INOUT' in this thread in the General forum.
02-24-2021, 06:15 PM
(02-12-2021 09:23 PM)John Keith Wrote:  
(02-12-2021 04:08 PM)Camell Wrote:  I recall somewhere in Markus Gonser's webpages there as a tutorial/explainer on how to import programs. Something to do with Up and Down sub-programs which convert the necessary characters such as the "-->" ( generally prefaces with a "/". Does anyone still have this documentation?

I think you might be referring to the 'IN' and 'OUT' programs, combined into 'INOUT' in this thread in the General forum.

Much appreciated, yes.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)