Time to abandon TAS?
06-18-2020, 03:02 PM
Time to abandon TAS?
This is very disturbing. Maybe we should use this forum more to trade HP stuff with each other directly.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/202...rstalking/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2020, 04:49 PM
RE: Time to abandon TAS?
I take anything seen on theconservativetreehouse.com with a pinch of salt about the size of the average asteroid.

https://www.newsguardtech.com/wp-content...ouse-1.pdf

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Find all posts by this user
06-18-2020, 06:46 PM
Just reading comments to the "news" is enough to leave that site.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
06-18-2020, 08:38 PM
The messenger has been duly wounded.
I apologize for my well meaning but inappropriate post.
06-18-2020, 08:54 PM
(06-18-2020 03:02 PM)twoweims Wrote:  This is very disturbing. Maybe we should use this forum more to trade HP stuff with each other directly.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/202...rstalking/

The guy was head of their security department and still didn't know he could be tracked and caught? Doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about eBay security.

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Hello!

(06-18-2020 08:38 PM)twoweims Wrote:  The messenger has been duly wounded.

Maybe that post still can have one good outcome: It is really time to abandon "TAS" and and start calling it "eBay" like the rest of the world. Among gronw-ups that we are.

Regards
Max
06-19-2020, 02:15 PM
(06-19-2020 12:49 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(06-18-2020 08:38 PM)twoweims Wrote:  The messenger has been duly wounded.

Maybe that post still can have one good outcome: It is really time to abandon "TAS" and and start calling it "eBay" like the rest of the world. Among gronw-ups that we are.

Regards
Max

I am not sure this can have a good outcome.

I'm not sure why you have to resort to name calling (A "Grown-up" thing to do?).
I am relatively new here but in looking at many past posts I have seen "TAS" used to refer to eBay. I assumed it was a convention that was agreed upon by the membership, like "TOS".

I think it is time for me to grow up and go play somewhere else.
I have asked the administrators to remove my account so I will not be bothering the Grown-Ups any longer.

I really meant no harm by posting this topic.
06-19-2020, 02:58 PM
(06-19-2020 02:15 PM)twoweims Wrote:  I think it is time for me to grow up and go play somewhere else.
I have asked the administrators to remove my account so I will not be bothering the Grown-Ups any longer.

He wasn't targeting you specifically, I'm sure. Many people continue the old tradition of using TAS when talking about eBay. It seems silly to me, too, but you didn't know that it's been a feud around here for a long time. I hope you'll stick around. We need as many enthusiasts as possible!

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-19-2020, 03:49 PM
(06-19-2020 02:15 PM)twoweims Wrote:  I think it is time for me to grow up and go play somewhere else.

I believe I echo the sentiments of numerous 'senior' members in respectfully requesting your continued participation. I have, in the past, perceived some negativity to my posts / contributions & pondered my value-added contribution in light of the same. The positives since my reconsideration(s) has far outweighed the negatives. I simply move on with the best feelings for the members who find my postings merit positive utility - thank you for the sentiment. Again, please stay & participate, you are welcome to your position!

BEST!
SlideRule
06-19-2020, 08:26 PM
tw - PLEASE reconsider and stick around, you contribute often, it's usually of interest and always with a positive and generous spirit. I and many others would hate to see you go.

And certainly don't let Max's bullying get to you. As a former member (who previously held the bullying crown) put it - he can't help it, he's German.

You've only picked-up slang that most older users here still use. The historical reasons that led to it (and it really was never necessary to use) don't even matter. At this point, it's easier to type TAS than eBay, so I often use it, and will continue to. If I use TAS or eBay or theBay or occasionally worse names depends on the context and on my mood.

If any behavior here is decidedly not grown-up it's his, insisting everyone stop using a phase which he has chosen to abandon. Doing so is his right. Not doing so is yours. But telling other people what to do and denigrating them for not choosing to follow his lead is certainly not grown-up. And maybe even reportable...

--Bob Prosperi
06-19-2020, 09:41 PM
(06-19-2020 08:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  he can't help it, he's German.

As someone who is 3/4 German by ancestry myself, I find that statement somewhat wince-inducing. I'll just assume it wasn't meant seriously...

(06-19-2020 08:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  it's easier to type TAS than eBay, so I often use it, and will continue to.

While I don't think this is something worth fighting over, I am sympathetic to Max' complaint. I find it inconsiderate to deliberately deviate from common spellings. It's annoying to read, for example, how on some forums some people insist on writing stock ticker symbols instead of companies' common names. "Today AAPL unveiled the new iPhone," that sort of thing. I understand that misspellings can be purely accidental, they can be humorous, or, in the case of terms that are both very long and used very often, simply a matter of convenience. But misspelling something deliberately when it doesn't serve any such purpose just strikes me as uncivil and needlessly annoying.

But to each their own, I guess.
06-19-2020, 11:28 PM
Thomas,
First of all I really appreciate toe work that you have done on Free42. It is what started me down the path that led me here to the "Museum" and re-kindled my interest in the HP Calculators that I used in college in the 80's and introduced me to the whole HP-41/42S/SwissMicros/41CL ecosystem.
Thank You.

I have been very depressed lately at the state of things in the world, specifically the anger that seems to be manifesting itself in all spheres of human interaction.

(06-19-2020 09:41 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  But misspelling something deliberately when it doesn't serve any such purpose just strikes me as uncivil and needlessly annoying.

But to each their own, I guess.

I did not misspell anything deliberately to be uncivil or annoying.
The original point to my post seems to be irrelevant at this point so can we just forget about it. As I explained above, I had no idea about the "TAS" vs eBay controversy. I thought "TAS" was kind of silly, myself but I assumed there was some reason for it that was previously established here.

I beg of all of you to apply Hanlon's razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". Or in this case, ignorance.
06-19-2020, 11:44 PM
No worries! The TAS thing has long struck me as a running gag that just went on a bit too long. What makes it annoying is that it causes confusion, which crops up time and again when new members encounter the term. We use the term TOS because we have to; as far as I'm concerned, TAS should just go already.
06-20-2020, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2020 06:42 AM by Nad.)
Hello!

(06-19-2020 09:41 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(06-19-2020 08:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  he can't help it, he's German.

As someone who is 3/4 German by ancestry myself, I find that statement somewhat wince-inducing. I'll just assume it wasn't meant seriously...

I lived and worked in Germany for a short time. Absolutely loved the place Smile

(06-19-2020 11:28 PM)twoweims Wrote:  I have been very depressed lately at the state of things in the world, specifically the anger that seems to be manifesting itself in all spheres of human interaction.

Don't worry about it.

Remember that:

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end.
06-20-2020, 12:34 PM
In order to assist the OP with another reference to the appalling story that s/he was attempting to draw attention to, here's a link to the story on CNN:

"Former eBay employees allegedly used cockroaches, spiders, and a gruesome mask to harass a couple"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/tech/ebay...index.html

smp
06-20-2020, 02:59 PM
ad Bob:

As a German passport holder, living in Germany I want to paraphrase the eminent 20th century British philosopher Basil Fawlty:

"Don't mention TAS..." (or TOS).

And now back to the OP related to cockroaches etc.

Felix
06-20-2020, 05:01 PM
(06-19-2020 08:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  And certainly don't let Max's bullying get to you. As a former member (who previously held the bullying crown) put it - he can't help it, he's German.

what? Sad
06-20-2020, 06:43 PM
(06-20-2020 05:01 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
(06-19-2020 08:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  And certainly don't let Max's bullying get to you. As a former member (who previously held the bullying crown) put it - he can't help it, he's German.

what? Sad

Nada... gringos.
Undecided

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
06-20-2020, 08:22 PM
Hello!

(06-19-2020 02:15 PM)twoweims Wrote:  ... to name calling ...

I think it is good that we are all different. Even if that causes some misunderstandings every now and then. As others have already written in my defence it was never my intention to call you any names. It didn't even cross my mind that my words could be interpreted as being names (believe me, if I wished to do that I would come up with something completely different).

But this TAS thing was simply a silly joke 20 years ago. Not funny for even a fraction for a second. And repeating an unfunny joke for 20 years doesn't make it better, it simply becomes a nuisance, nothing else. So when I read the topic line of your post I really thought this could be the chance to get rid of it for good :-)

Regards
Max
06-20-2020, 09:54 PM
(06-20-2020 02:59 PM)Felix Gross Wrote:  ad Bob:

As a German passport holder, living in Germany I want to paraphrase the eminent 20th century British philosopher Basil Fawlty:

"Don't mention TAS..." (or TOS).

And now back to the OP related to cockroaches etc.

Felix

I'm glad you took that well Max; re-reading it, it certainly came out harsher than intended. My intention was to comment that by being German, you are inherently both direct and an advocate for what you think is right (even if others don't agree). References to predecessors wasn't appropriate in any case.

TAS probably has far exceeded it's initial comical run, and truly doesn't help new folks that are wondering what it is (fully assuming it's something they aren't aware of). I've observed its use is certainly declining as the distinction between promoting one's items for sale on eBay and simply mentioning it has become more clear to both writers and readers.

But it's also simply out of habit sometimes, so don't ascribe bad intent from anyone that uses it, it could be nothing more than what a typo is; just a mistake or too quick to post. In any case, seems (to me) not worth being upset about.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)