Source for TI-59 Magnetic Cards
07-01-2020, 12:28 AM
Source for TI-59 Magnetic Cards
I found a TI-59 in an Antique Store for $10.00. It is in absolutely perfect condition and has the original case, charger and manual. It came with only one magnetic card, the calculator diagnostic card. Believe it or not, the card reader still functions. It reads the diagnostic card and passes the test. I 3D printed and assembled a new NiCd battery pack.

I have not been able to find any blank magnetic cards. I have been watching eBay for a while and have found none. Does anybody here know of a source for them? Is there an equivalent of the Calculator Store for TI Calculators?

I am not planning to do any serious work with it. I would just like a few cards to play around with it. It was just too good to pass up for the price.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2020, 12:32 AM
RE: Source for TI-59 Magnetic Cards
What an amazing find! I think I have heard of people making their own cards, something like bonding old VHS video tape to plastic sheets.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
07-01-2020, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2020 10:42 AM by Pjwum.)
Be prepared to pay more for the cards than you did for the calculator. Usually they pop up as a set together with the black module cards.
That being said, are you sure your diagnostic test is written on a magnetic card? TI sold the 59 together with the so-called Master Library Module. Program 01 of this library module performs the diagnostic test. It is built in and needs no magnetic card reading. The accompanying card is black, just a label and non-magnetic.
TI's magnetic cards are yellow on the front with a brownish magnetic layer on the back.

Patrick
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2020, 11:31 AM
(07-01-2020 10:31 AM)Pjwum Wrote:  Be prepared to pay more for the cards than you did for the calculator. Usually they pop up as a set together with the black module cards.
That being said, are you sure your diagnostic test is written on a magnetic card? TI sold the 59 together with the so-called Master Library Module. Program 01 of this library module performs the diagnostic test. It is built in and needs no magnetic card reading. The accompanying card is black, just a label and non-magnetic.
TI's magnetic cards are yellow on the front with a brownish magnetic layer on the back.

Patrick

Feeding the non-magnetic Master Library diagnostic card through the card reader would not result in a successful read. So, yes, I am sure it is a magnetic card. Master Library Program 01 is a diagnostic for the master library module. The magnetic card in question is labeled “Calculator Diagnostic”. The card reader reads it and loads the diagnostic program.
07-01-2020, 02:20 PM
(07-01-2020 10:31 AM)Pjwum Wrote:  Be prepared to pay more for the cards than you did for the calculator. Usually they pop up as a set together with the black module cards.

Patrick
There is also a Diagnostics that came with the TI-59 on a card. It's more comprehensive than the one built into the module.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
07-02-2020, 07:02 AM
Interesting! You never stop learning.
I have two complete and boxed samples from the german market. I checked and they clearly shipped without a diagnostic card. In contrast to the english manual the german version doesn't mention such a card. It only describes how to check the card reader (copy the Master Lib diagnostic program 01 into memory, write it to a card, read it back and check if it is running), page VII-9.
Would you mind to post a picture of your card?

Patrick
07-02-2020, 11:44 AM

Here is a photo of the card.
See page VII-9 of the manual for instructions.
07-02-2020, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2020 06:22 PM by Pjwum.)
Nice! Never seen these cards before. Thank you for taking the picture!
Your 59 is optically in really great condition. Good find!
I also print my own battery covers and use detachable triple AAA-holders as power source. For charging you simply take them out or you can build a USB-cable from a tiny DC boost converter and a JST connector. Very cheap, convenient and you don't risk damaging the electronics when your batteries have bad contact.
07-02-2020, 06:34 PM
I would be happy to send you a copy but I haven’t got any blank cards.
07-02-2020, 08:03 PM
PM sent
08-01-2020, 05:22 PM
The card looked familiar, so I checked my set of old cards (the TI 59 itself has died, sadly). Indeed: The card was there. I bought the TI 59 ca. 1981 in Switzerland.

It does have a much lighter color compared to the regular cards, and as far as I remember this was always the case. It did not change color over time, in other words.

08-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Interesting! Until now my state of knowledge was that the Diagnostic didn't ship in Europe.

You might also read the follow-up thread here.
08-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Thanks, I have seen the other thread, but thought for a picture of the card this one would be better suited. In the meantime I found the (German) manual, and the card is mentioned in chapter VII-9.

On page 1 of the manual I seem to have written the serial number and the purchase date; It looks like I was off a bit: I bought it on December 15, 1979. The manual is copyright 1977
08-01-2020, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 09:43 PM by Pjwum.)
(08-01-2020 06:45 PM)Tinue Wrote:  In the meantime I found the (German) manual, and the card is mentioned in chapter VII-9.

My German manual version is copyright 1979. So that suggests they removed the Diagnostic part including the card for whatever reason.

Same chapter, same page.
08-03-2020, 08:28 PM
(08-01-2020 06:14 PM)Pjwum Wrote:  Until now my state of knowledge was that the Diagnostic didn't ship in Europe.

I have some model from Holland, I have found the attached cards in their package.
Csaba

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)