New update available for Clonix & NoVs users.
10-16-2020, 07:27 AM
New update available for Clonix & NoVs users.
Hi all,

I've made a new archive, updating all the latest changes and improvements, removing some old files no longer required and several minor bugs.

The link can be found at the bottom of my web:

Clonix41.

Since the most comprehensive ROMs collection is now mantained and regularily updated at Systmeyde site, a link to the coresponding page is also provided and the ROM files are no longer included in the Clonix upgrade archive.

Hope you find it useful.

Let me know of any issue you may find.

Best wishes and keep safe.

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2020, 04:26 PM
RE: New update available for Clonix & NoVs users.
Thank you Diego, do you have news about the new programmer?
10-20-2020, 07:56 PM
Hello,

The first batch of the new PicKit2 programmer was sold out a few weeks ago.

Some units still available from the second batch.

Mail or PM me if you're interested.

Regards.

Diego.

10-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Is there any hope for an update to Clonix to have bank switching to be page dependent?
10-20-2020, 10:46 PM
Hi,

The 'Page-dependant BS' is in the "to-do" list for the Clonix-D... Quite busy lately to pay deserved attention to this upgrade.

Not an option on Clonix-41 though (sorry if this was your case).

Hopefully I'll have it ready by end NoV. and definitely before Xmas. :-)

Best wishes.

Diego.

10-21-2020, 12:22 AM
(10-20-2020 10:46 PM)Diego Diaz Wrote:  Hi,

The 'Page-dependant BS' is in the "to-do" list for the Clonix-D... Quite busy lately to pay deserved attention to this upgrade.

Not an option on Clonix-41 though (sorry if this was your case).

Hopefully I'll have it ready by end NoV. and definitely before Xmas. :-)

Best wishes.

Diego.

Yeah, Clonix-41 is my case... Why is that, is it impossible?

What alternatives do I have, send in my two Clonix modules to be updated to Clonix-D?
10-21-2020, 02:08 PM
Hi hth,

There are very few "impossible" things out there. However, keeping upgrades for a 17 year old device discontinued 7 years ago and using a PIC Controller (PIC18F252) which is no longer in production by its manufacturer (Microchip); is certainly impractical IMHO.

Repurposing Clonix-41 into Clonix-D is certainly possible, but requires complete replacement of the internal board since a new Controller is required; hence only the case and connector can be re-utilized. I don't think this is a good approach either.

Please consider getting a new Clonix-D (or NoV-64d) and keep your useful Clonix-41s for the purpose they were developed: Providing users a low-cost access to all the ROM Pacs available.

Feel free to email or PM me to discuss the alternatives.

Best wishes and keep safe.

Diego.

10-21-2020, 02:46 PM
I would recommend getting a brand NoV64 and the new programmer. I succesfully offered my old Clonix41 and NoVRAM in the classifieds section here and got myself a new NoV64d. The older products work really great, also in combination with the new programmer, so a good chance to make someone else happy with Diego's fine products

Regards, Meindert
10-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Well, if you fix it for the Clonix-D at some point and as you release the sources, then I can most likely fix it to work with the old Clonix module.

I do have a NoV-64 that I have not used so much as my two Clonix modules have served me well so far. I am also using the PIC-kit-2 programmer with macOS for 8 years or so. The only problem I have is software related, as I need the independent bank switching to run my latest module creations.
10-21-2020, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2020 04:29 PM by Diego Diaz.)
Hi,

This is of course feasible, I'll try my best in order to make the Clonix-D mods "portable" to the Clonix-41.

Note however that it may not be applicable to the Clonix6P/6R firmware as it runs a completely different sinc/timing code.

The ClonixLP, on the contrary, should be easier since it shares most of the firmware.

Will post here whenever it's available.

Best.

Diego.

10-23-2020, 11:13 PM
Is PicKit2 anything to do with Microchip's PICkit 2?

— Ian Abbott
10-24-2020, 12:59 AM
Hi,

It has everything to do. :-)

I've taken the PICkit2 diagram and have modified (and simplified) it, designing a PCB with an edge connector suitable for the Clonix & NoV's modules.

The hardware is therefore fully compatible with the original Microchip's PICkit2. The firmware and software is a third party upgrade modified to handle newer µControllers since Microchip no longer support device upgrades for the PICkit2.

Hope you find this info useful.

Diego.

01-08-2021, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2021 07:18 PM by Allen.)
Diego,
Many thanks for your wonderful creations. Today I am trying to update my clonix/nov modules, and have come into some confusion.

I have aNoV32 and NoV64d, and would like to put the amazing PPC module on one or the other.

Using the PicKit2 USB programmer (recent production from you) I have tried various configurations:

Config tool:
Clonix Config 4.2 (md5sum:b5ecd92f371fb2b222097009e11f9eab)
Clonix Config 6.1 (md5sum: ce9911ee0c59bac862d85dbb8ec40191)

Programmer/Assembler:
PICkit2V2p06.exe (md5sum: 850cb903927c3f2011baf18ff180496c)
MPASMWIN.EXE (md5sum: 243eb63517b17d1c039437d8431ce8fb)

It seems no matter what module (Nov32 or Nov64d) what settings I have selected (hepax or not; Join Blocks or not), Module type Nov-64(d) or Clonix D, I can not get my HP 41C to recognize any other ROMs except:
In addition to PPC, I've tried the Advantage ROM, Ext IO, EXT FUN 1A, etc...

For example, for the Nov64d (using Congif 6.1) If I select the Clonix-D type, and have PPC-L and PPC-U in bk1, pages 8 and 9. The HEX file is created (I think) properly by the Clonix config tool. The PicProgrammer writes it to the Nov module OK, but CAT2 on the calculator shows nothing. Even in Hepax mode, if I put another ROM on the available pages, nothing other than HEPAX shows in the CATalog.

I've read through the HEPAX manuals ( I admit I don't know how to use those modules anyway), and Through Sylvain's excellent tutorial, and all of the Clonix manuals available on your clonix41 site.

Surely I'm doing something silly?

(I also have a Clonix-41d and NoVram that I'm NOT looking to reprogram, but I have successfully reprogrammed several clonix modules before using the K150 programmer.)

There are a few errors in the *.ERR file, which may suggest a solution, but the ASM file is auto-deleted..
Code:
Warning[230] D:\SOURCE\CALCULATORS\41C_CLONIX\V61\CLONIX-D.ASM 10 : __CONFIG has been deprecated for PIC18 devices.  Use directive CONFIG.
Warning[230] D:\SOURCE\CALCULATORS\41C_CLONIX\V61\CLONIX-D.ASM 11 : __CONFIG has been deprecated for PIC18 devices.  Use directive CONFIG.
Warning[230] D:\SOURCE\CALCULATORS\41C_CLONIX\V61\CLONIX-D.ASM 12 : __CONFIG has been deprecated for PIC18 devices.  Use directive CONFIG.
Warning[230] D:\SOURCE\CALCULATORS\41C_CLONIX\V61\CLONIX-D.ASM 13 : __CONFIG has been deprecated for PIC18 devices.  Use directive CONFIG.
Warning[230] D:\SOURCE\CALCULATORS\41C_CLONIX\V61\CLONIX-D.ASM 14 : __CONFIG has been deprecated for PIC18 devices.  Use directive CONFIG.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

01-08-2021, 08:07 PM
Hello Allen,
I am at the office right now, I will help you when I am back home (~7h00 PM EST) if Diego has not done so already.
Sylvain
01-08-2021, 09:26 PM
Hi Allen,

According to your screenshots, it seems that the Config (v6.1) is effectively producing the proper .HEX file under MPASMWIN.EXE compiler.

In order to confirm that this is the file your're loading into the PicKIT2 programmer SW please scroll down in the bottom window "EEPROMdata". You should see a list if the ROM files and Page/Bank configuration mapping for the module to be programmed with.

Also the timestamp at the top of this very window must match with your file.

In case you find any mismatch in these records, chances are that you're loading a previous Clonix-D.HEX file from a different directory.

Note that the compiled file is placed in the same directory where the MPASMWIN.EXE is. Advisably you should keep all files in the same directory and as close as possible to your 'root' (C:, D:...)

For practical convenience, the PicKIT2 SW inlcudes an "Auto Import HEX + Write device" button.

If you use this accordint to the ClonixConfigv6.1 manual (last page) you should be loading the AutoImprt.HEX file wich is updated on every compilation instance by the Config utility hence ensuring you're loading the latest .HEX file you've created.

The Warning list on the .ERR file is not relevant and can be ignored.

Hope this helps.

Look forward to reading from you.

Best from Caribbean.

Diego.

PS: Not really relevant for the case but it would be advisable to load PPC .ROM files in the Even&Odd pages of the same port.

01-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Hi Sylvain,

Please feel free to include any comment/correction/addition you may consider relevant in order to help Allen in finding a suitable solution.

Best wishes and HNY for you all. :-)

Diego.

01-08-2021, 11:40 PM
Thank you, I tried just programming my Nov64d in Clonix-D mode with only a Math-1C ROM in page 8.
Between 3 calculators (41c 41cv 41cx) and 2 different battery packs. No calculator will recognize it, even though it seems to program OK with the PICKit2 software?

Perhaps I found a bizarre Y2K-21 type issue? Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-09-2021, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2021 01:47 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Allen & Diego,
Basic tests with PicKit2 are also not working on my side, currently investigating, I will come back later with more information and hopefully the solution.
Sylvain

Update #1:

File Download:
Test #1: load HEPAX and PPC ROM in a NoV-64d programmed as a NoV-64d (success)
  • In ClonixConfig61.exe
    • Module Type: NoV-64(d)
    • Options: HEPAX, 1D
    • Programmer: PicKit2
    • Flash ROM Block 0: HEPAX ROMs, PPCL @ page 1-C & PPCU @ page 1-D
    • Press button: Proceed
  • In PICkit2V2p06.exe
    • Press button: Auto Import Hex & Write Device
    • Select: AutoImprt.HEX then press button: OPEN
    • After a while I get Programming Successful in the green box
  • In a 41CL with MMU disable
    • Module in slot 1, CAT 2 shows: "-HEPAD 1D" and "C PPC 1981"
    • Module in slot 3, CAT 2 shows: "-HEPAD 1D" and "C PPC 1981"

Test #2: load HEPAX in a NoV-64d programmed as a NoV-64d (success)
  • In ClonixConfig61.exe
    • Module Type: NoV-64(d)
    • Options: HEPAX, 1D
    • Flash ROM Block 0: Only HEPAX ROMs
  • In PICkit2V2p06.exe
    • Module in slot 1, CAT 2 shows: "-HEPAD 1D"
    • Module in slot 3, CAT 2 shows: "-HEPAD 1D"

Test #3: load MATH ROM in a NoV-64d programmed as a Clonix-D (not working)
  • In ClonixConfig61.exe
    • Module Type: Clonix-D
    • Options: none
    • Flash ROM Block 0: MATH-1D @ page 8
  • In PICkit2V2p06.exe
    • Module in slot 1, CAT 2 shows: no plug-in ROMs
    • Module in slot 3, CAT 2 shows: no plug-in ROMs
01-09-2021, 01:29 AM
I just noticed the romimgX.asm files are all either 0 -byte files or filled with lines like this:
Code:
        db 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,​0x00

01-09-2021, 01:39 AM
Hi,

Yes, I've also noticed that in the Clonix-D.HEX file that Allen has sent me a minute ago.

The .ROM files are either not properly found or not properly processed.

Will make some comparative test on my side and will post findings (and hopefully, solution tomorrow)

Stay tuned!

Cheers.

Diego.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)