HP-41 Hard Case: Ever seen one of these?
11-14-2020, 05:22 AM
HP-41 Hard Case: Ever seen one of these?
About a month back, I was the high bidder on a HP-41CX, that was sold with a hard case. It arrived today, and it is quite the "hard" case. Pictures are below, with the purchased HP-41CX in it. Outer case is some sort of polyethelyne, with rubber liners in both the top and bottom halves. Anybody seen one of these before? I'm pretty sure that this is not HP made, but it fits very well, and very tight.

[Image: E8fuiE8.jpg]

[Image: lBgwBQa.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2020, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2020 06:22 AM by Raymond Del Tondo.)
RE: HP-41 Hard Case: Ever seen one of these?
You may google for „Zengrange“ „Morzen“ and „Gunzen“.
That‘s the company which actually made those battle cases.
They also made suitable military software modules.
Currently some israeli surplus distributor offers those Zengrange products in rather large quantities.

-- Ray
11-14-2020, 09:36 AM
(11-14-2020 06:13 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  Currently some israeli surplus distributor offers those Zengrange products in rather large quantities.

Mostly with broken calculators inside.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-14-2020, 01:16 PM
(11-14-2020 09:36 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(11-14-2020 06:13 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  Currently some israeli surplus distributor offers those Zengrange products in rather large quantities.

Mostly with broken calculators inside.

Most often, deliberately broken to render them 'safe'. Sad too since enough 41s break on their own without help, we really don't need assistance in this area. The folks that do that should be smart enough to know any data that was previously in the machine (classified or not) cannot be retrieved. And even if it was, breaking the case would not lose it. Sigh...

--Bob Prosperi
11-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Hello!

(11-14-2020 01:16 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Most often, deliberately broken to render them 'safe'.

As if the equations by which the trajectories of artillery projectiles are computed were not known since Isaac Newton... highly classified stuff so to say ;-)

Regards
Max
11-15-2020, 05:32 AM
One of those Israeli surplus dealers is where I got the HP-41CX and the hard case. In my instance, though, the HP-41CX is functional, and only has a few small dings. I must admit, the case looks very "military', and reminds me of a Pelican case, if anything, but the rubber liner looks custom moulded for the HP-41.

Thanks for the information.

P.S. I wonder how many were actually damaged in the effort to keep their contents secure, and how many were damaged by seeing action? I wonder how many were actually in use by the military?
11-15-2020, 04:58 PM
Kind of cool, I am slowly looking for a donor to make a second 41CL and wonder if there is a link to those military sellers?
11-16-2020, 06:38 AM
The dealer's name on eBay is suplustechmart. I don't know if they have any HP-41s up for sale right now. When I got mine, they had about a dozen up for sale, half were in good functional shape (like mine), about a quarter were missing their battery holders, and the remaining ones had various amounts of damage. My HP-41CX was $US125 with free shipping.
11-16-2020, 09:14 PM
(11-16-2020 06:38 AM)Kostas Kritsilas Wrote:  The dealer's name on eBay is suplustechmart. I don't know if they have any HP-41s up for sale right now. When I got mine, they had about a dozen up for sale, half were in good functional shape (like mine), about a quarter were missing their battery holders, and the remaining ones had various amounts of damage. My HP-41CX was $US125 with free shipping.

Do they really strip the HP-41CX nameplate off the front? I was considering one of those for a bit, but this inexplicably put me off.

-Pat (KG5YPQ)
11-16-2020, 11:14 PM
Yes they did. I have no idea as to why. But I have no idea as to why. i have another HP41CX that has its nameplate, so I am fine, and if I ever find a spare nameplate I will add it to this one.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)