Locked out
01-18-2021, 03:09 AM
Locked out
Salutations!

I have an old HP Calc (a 35, because it doesn't have a number on top or the front bevel?) that is looked into a base with the power cable and a plastic coated metal cable.
When I bought it ~20 years ago, it did not come with a key for unlocking the base.
Does anyone know of a source of keys for this base?
I figured this base is as much a part of the calculator history, so I have no intention of ruining the base to remove the calculator (or vice-versa).

Thank you, and it's good to be back on MoHPC!
dona nobis pacem
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2021, 09:26 PM
RE: Locked out
If you don't want to force it open, your best bet is to take it to a locksmith and have them pick the lock. They can also make a new key for it, if you'd like one.

See this thread for more information.
01-20-2021, 03:29 AM
Thank you BobVA!
I guess I'll get it to a locksmith.

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
01-20-2021, 01:35 PM
If that doesn't work, or is too expensive, you can send it to me (in NY) to try to unlock; I have several of these cradles and it's possible one of my keys will open your lock and then ship back.

--Bob Prosperi
01-20-2021, 01:42 PM
Looking at the cradle for my 65, it appears to be using a simple 4-pin tumbler. Any remotely capable locksmith should be able to make short work of opening that. Hell, half an hour on YouTube and a couple basic tools from around the house and you might have it open yourself. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2021, 07:03 PM
(01-20-2021 01:42 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Looking at the cradle for my 65, it appears to be using a simple 4-pin tumbler. Any remotely capable locksmith should be able to make short work of opening that. Hell, half an hour on YouTube and a couple basic tools from around the house and you might have it open yourself. Smile

True. Got my GF a pick set for Xmas. I can now pick a Master Lock #3 fairly well.

Our favorite YT lockpicking channel: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14757.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)