HP 67
06-18-2021, 11:57 PM
HP 67
Just bought an HP 67 on EBAY, paid way too much, because of that I thought it would work, put a fresh battery pack in it, and for about 1 minute it did. The fix key did not work....then all 0's were in the display and no key worked to change them, turned it off then on more then a few times, sometimes all 0's or 7's or small dashes. Do I now have a very expensive door stop?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2021, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2021 12:03 AM by teenix.)
RE: HP 67
Have a look at the battery terminals. If they look dusty green, you may have a corrosion problem inside the calculator. The only way to find out is to look inside.

There is a gold colored shorting link across the two outer terminals of the battery connector. Make sure this looks clean as a dirty one may impede current flow from the battery.

cheers

Tony
06-21-2021, 08:13 PM
It's not uncommon for the keys to give problems from slow accumulation of dirt and year's of no use. You can try repeated presses to try recover the contact, otherwise it's a tear-down.

Look out for the red low battery indicator below the screen, right corner. If this light is coming on, blinking, or fading in and out, you've probably got a battery connection issue. What happens when you have the AC charger connected with the battery installed?

Hope you come right.
06-21-2021, 08:26 PM
"DEJR8ISGREAT"

A NASCAR fan, eh?

Yes, he really is, his VLOG is really great for the community, actually encouraging historical personalities to dare to spill dirt on DE. Meeting Amy changed JR for the better, becoming a Dad even more so.

--Bob Prosperi
06-22-2021, 09:58 PM
With the charger, or without the charger the same thing, most of the time zeros all the way across the screen, yes the low battery light is on or in and out, just now for about 5 minutes straight the whole screen was blinking different numbers half numbers letters or parts of letters until I turned it off.... and yes, was a big E fan and then a JR fan, and now, not a fan of the format. Stopped watching.
06-23-2021, 02:15 AM
(06-22-2021 09:58 PM)DEJR8ISGREAT Wrote:  With the charger, or without the charger the same thing, most of the time zeros all the way across the screen, yes the low battery light is on or in and out, just now for about 5 minutes straight the whole screen was blinking different numbers half numbers letters or parts of letters until I turned it off.... and yes, was a big E fan and then a JR fan, and now, not a fan of the format. Stopped watching.

If there is no corrosion and the insides look clean, it seems to be a CPU problem. It looks like it is showing symptoms as though it has a running program, although this should not be happening.

Does anything change when switching from PRGM to RUN to PRGM?

Give the battery a chance to charge fully, maybe it might help.

cheers

Tony
06-23-2021, 11:07 PM
fully charged the battery, turn it on and -00000000000 00 on the display no key works, nothing changes w/prgm or run.
06-23-2021, 11:27 PM
While I cannot be 100% sure, it seems that the CPU board may be faulty.

You didn't mention if you looked inside, so perhaps an internal inspection might reveal something obvious.

Failing that, if it was advertised as "working" then perhaps try for a refund.

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)