Good Ni-MH brands
09-20-2021, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2021 05:31 PM by ijabbott.)
Good Ni-MH brands
Apparently, IKEA's "LADDA" low self-discharge, 900 mAh AAA cells (the white ones) have been discontinued. These were pretty good cells, made by FDK (Fujitsu Battery) in Japan. These were a good (cheaper!) Eneloop alternative, and AmazonBasics may have switched to using cheaper Chinese manufacturers.

I haven't been in IKEA for a while (no store near me, and COVID...), but I think the LADDA 750 mAh AAA cells are still made in Japan by FDK.

I suppose the safest bet for higher capacity cells is to buy Fujitsu-branded ones, or Eneloop Pros (in increasing order of price), but both more expensive than the old LADDA cells from the same factory! (I read that some of the regular Eneloops are made in China.)

Anyway, the above is mostly third-hand knowledge, extracted from this forum thread.

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2021, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2021 06:14 PM by Ren.)
RE: Good Ni-MH brands
Yeah, I heard they were discontinuing the batteries earlier this year, so I stocked up.
The Schaumburg IL store still has AA's in stock.

edit: Happy 1000th post to you!

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
09-22-2021, 03:10 PM
I find Eneloops to be very good, and EBL also makes really solid batteries that generally cost a bit less than Eneloop. I like the high-capacity EBL AAs in particular (labeled as 2800 mAH, though I think testing has shown them to be closer to 2400-2500).

I use the AAs and AAAs from both brands in my calculators, Game Boys, ham radio (FT-60), and so on, and some of the EBL NiMH C batteries in my IV pump that runs for 12 hours at a time. If they're good enough for an IV pump, they're good enough for all those other things, I say. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2021, 08:09 AM
Just one thing to be aware of with EBL batteries is their size. They are a little larger than the tolerance of AA cells at least (I don't know about other sizes), possibly so they can pack in just that little bit more electrolyte and claim higher capacities. If size is a consideration, then beware that EBL batteries may not fit in your device. They don't fit in my 320LX, for example. Nor do most rechargeables, only Eneloops do.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
09-23-2021, 11:24 AM
(09-23-2021 08:09 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Just one thing to be aware of with EBL batteries is their size. They are a little larger than the tolerance of AA cells at least (I don't know about other sizes), possibly so they can pack in just that little bit more electrolyte and claim higher capacities. If size is a consideration, then beware that EBL batteries may not fit in your device. They don't fit in my 320LX, for example. Nor do most rechargeables, only Eneloops do.

That's a good point, I had to make a very minor modification to the AA battery box for my ham radio. Haven't noticed any major differences with their AAA or C batteries.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2021, 01:04 PM
I've a couple of EBL sets of 600 mAh LR1 batteries that I'm using in my 41Cs and which are working great. I've not noticed any size issue, neither in the 41 nor in the BC700 charger and AA adapters.

I checked recently but it seems that EBL is not producing anymore LR1 batteries and I've not been able to find any remaining source for them.
09-23-2021, 01:09 PM
(09-23-2021 01:04 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I checked recently but it seems that EBL is not producing anymore LR1 batteries and I've not been able to find any remaining source for them.

There's always here: https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog...ies-1.html

They're not EBL but they're probably just as good.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
09-23-2021, 02:22 PM
(09-23-2021 01:09 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  There's always here: https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog...ies-1.html

They're not EBL but they're probably just as good.

Well, since the Brexit I'm not buying anymore from UK. In this case I would go to akkushop.de which is where I got my BC700 charger and LR1 to AA adapters. But they don't have the 600 mAh BCL batteries, they have 500 mAh Xcell batteries.
09-23-2021, 10:49 PM
Eneloop or the Maha Imedion

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)