New HP calculator literature site
10-05-2021, 01:56 PM
RE: New HP calculator literature site
Definitely seeing a few new goodies here that I want to check out... Thanks Eric!

Have you given any thought to bundling the whole thing up as a torrent file for those that want to archive/hoard the whole collection?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2021, 02:25 PM
(10-05-2021 01:56 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Definitely seeing a few new goodies here that I want to check out... Thanks Eric!

Have you given any thought to bundling the whole thing up as a torrent file for those that want to archive/hoard the whole collection?

Torrents don't work well for rapidly changing datasets, because a new torrent has to be created (with seeding broken for any existing seeders) with any change, and because I am adding new content multiple times a week, it is changing too much for a torrent. However, once things settle down a bit (probably next year) I may make a torrent.

But torrents seem to be ignored by most people, so it may be a lot of effort for nothing; the number of people who've used my other torrents is still in the double-digits even after several years. As it is I have people almost every day trying to scrape my main hpcalc.org web site even though a torrent is provided, so sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time.
10-05-2021, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2021 04:20 PM by BillBee.)
Torrents are funny. They can be hot then not.

The HP41org one is fantastic and I have a feeling more people use it (or have used it) then we may know but it probably sees sporadic traffic based on the selective user base getting the updates (or as Dave sez Hoarding Smile ). But as you are actively updating it would be tough at this time.

Either way we are blessed with Valentin's Project HAM and your library!

-Bill
Find all posts by this user
10-05-2021, 04:20 PM
(10-05-2021 02:25 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Torrents don't work well for rapidly changing datasets, because a new torrent has to be created (with seeding broken for any existing seeders) with any change, and because I am adding new content multiple times a week, it is changing too much for a torrent. However, once things settle down a bit (probably next year) I may make a torrent.

But torrents seem to be ignored by most people, so it may be a lot of effort for nothing; the number of people who've used my other torrents is still in the double-digits even after several years. As it is I have people almost every day trying to scrape my main hpcalc.org web site even though a torrent is provided, so sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Thanks also from me, Eric- a truly wonderful and valuable resource!

I myself do not use torrents for various reasons, including that any use of torrents (or the TOR browser) are regarded with suspicion by many governments, including our own. Sad

As long as each year's HHC thumb drive has a copy of the archive I will be happy.
10-05-2021, 04:46 PM
(10-05-2021 04:20 PM)John Keith Wrote:  
(10-05-2021 02:25 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Torrents don't work well for rapidly changing datasets, because a new torrent has to be created (with seeding broken for any existing seeders) with any change, and because I am adding new content multiple times a week, it is changing too much for a torrent. However, once things settle down a bit (probably next year) I may make a torrent.

Thanks also from me, Eric- a truly wonderful and valuable resource!

I myself do not use torrents for various reasons, including that any use of torrents (or the TOR browser) are regarded with suspicion by many governments, including our own. Sad

As long as each year's HHC thumb drive has a copy of the archive I will be happy.

Yeah, if it's still being rapidly updated, then a torrent isn't quite as practical. It's not too bad if you just periodically upload a new torrent file, and everybody can grab it and point to their existing local copy to get the updates.

Anyway, just throwing out ideas for a "download all" option that won't melt Eric's web server. Smile
10-05-2021, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2021 11:16 PM by Valentin Albillo.)
Hi, all,

Eric's work is nothing sort of miraculous and his dedication to it verges on sanctity. And I'm being utterly serious.

Eric's been spending and incredible amount of time and effort to get, scan, process and produce that overwhelming amount of books, manuals, and literature of all sorts related to HP calcs, plus designing and programming the excellent web interface and putting it all on his server to make it all available for everyone to download for free, without adds or unwanted annoyances of any kind.

All of this makes Eric not a single cent, yet he has to pay for the bandwith and the servers, let alone the thousands of hours (literally !) of his time he's dedicated to this. You just have to see Eric's presentation on the recent HHC, where he explains in exhaustive detail how he processes the scan of each and every book, and you'll be amazed, and you'll probably shake your head in disbelief.

Not only does Eric make not a cent and has to pay for the expenses, but of course he doesn't ask for any kind of payment either, the scans (perfect quality 99.99% of the time) are free to download, so you may wonder: How can I help Eric, to let him know I really appreciate what he does ?

I'll tell you in one word: books. Send Eric the books he still needs, the ones not still available to him, for him to scan them and add them to his project. Or else, scan yourself the books he does need and you do have, as >= 300 dpi (600 dpi is ideal) PNG images, and send them to him for he to process them and produce awesome-quality PDF files.

Myself, I've done exactly that, I recently scanned and sent him the 5 following books/booklets, which he lacked at the time:

A Guide to Profitable Decision Making
Como obtener el mayor provecho de la memoria contínua
HP-34C Matemática avanzada
HP-41CX SUPLEMENTO Funciones nuevas del HP-41CX
How To: A Blackbox Handbook to Synthetic Programming Techniques

If I could contribute 5 books so far, surely there's something YOU can contribute as well, even if it's just the one book or booklet, and you'll make Eric happy. Best of all, he'll know you actually care and he'll feel that his efforts are worth it and he's not wasting his time.

Remember: Don't ask what Eric can do for you, ask what you can do for Eric. The answer ? Books !! Smile

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

10-06-2021, 12:22 AM
Excellent post Valentin!!

I made the exact same plea during a talk at HHC, and from comments I got afterward, it seems many books will making their way to Texas.

Good news Eric! More books for the site!
Bad news Eric! More scanning to go....

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2021, 01:08 AM
Almost forgot to mention another noteworthy HP Manual site.

Here is the Manual for the HP Series 80

http://www.series80.org/Manuals/

Gamo
10-06-2021, 02:21 AM
Hello,
Thank you very much Eric for such effort to create and maintain a site that is and will be a reference for all of us. I cannot imagine the countless hours spent scanning books.
I have spent many years searching for HP calculator books myself and I have a small collection. I am not sure I have something unique or just missing. I am going to check.

That may sound kinda off topic however for low tech guys - like I am - is it possible to have some suggestions about a scanner to use for scanning manuals and which software can be used to clean the digital copy of the book?

Thanks

Giancarlo
10-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Absolutely crazy and awesome project, Eric! I'm stunned! THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!

As a tiny, tiny, tiny contribution to the community I took the German HP-11C owner's handbook ("hp11c-oh-de-pdf") and added an indexed/clickable table of contents – because that PDF didn't have one.

The PDF file is too large (even ZIPped) to attach it here, unfortunately (15,6 MB), but I'm not sure – for legal reasons – if that's even a good idea if it *was* possible to attach it?

I have a URL ready for you to download it, if you're interested to offer that German HP-11C manual with toc in your library, too.
10-07-2021, 10:34 PM
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Thank you, Eric.
10-08-2021, 03:14 PM
The HP-71 IDS for the 2CCCC version are not in Eric's full master list, so here are the references (from here):
00071-90104 HP-71 IDS for use with the 2CCCC version Vol.II
00071-90105 HP-71 IDS for use with the 2CCCC version Vol.III

If these documents are somewhere in a collection, it would be great to scan and include them in Eric's library.

J-F
10-08-2021, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2021 04:28 PM by Hlib.)
@ post 1
Why do we need these feats with manuals? Any normal user will find the information he needs in any resource. I recently ran into the problem that no other calculators except hp-50g can not save different objects in the list when entering information on a program request. I no longer have any desire to share information in the manuals. Perhaps age and personal experience affect. The one who does not know is the one who speaks. The one who knows a lot - he is silent. :-)
10-08-2021, 04:35 PM
(10-08-2021 03:14 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  The HP-71 IDS for the 2CCCC version are not in Eric's full master list, so here are the references (from here):
00071-90104 HP-71 IDS for use with the 2CCCC version Vol.II
00071-90105 HP-71 IDS for use with the 2CCCC version Vol.III

If these documents are somewhere in a collection, it would be great to scan and include them in Eric's library.

J-F

Thanks, J-F. I have added them to the list.
10-08-2021, 10:36 PM
(10-08-2021 04:19 PM)Hlib Wrote:  @ post 1
Why do we need these feats with manuals? Any normal user will find the information he needs in any resource. I recently ran into the problem that no other calculators except hp-50g can not save different objects in the list when entering information on a program request. I no longer have any desire to share information in the manuals. Perhaps age and personal experience affect. The one who does not know is the one who speaks. The one who knows a lot - he is silent. :-)

It appears you know a lot about this topic, so perhaps it would be best for all to follow your own advice. If you don't feel it's interesting, and you have nothing to contribute to the document collection or even discussion about the collection, there's no need to criticize it, just move along to a topic that you do like and contribute to that.

--Bob Prosperi
10-08-2021, 10:48 PM
(10-08-2021 04:19 PM)Hlib Wrote:  @ post 1

There are many (I'd say most) of us who appreciate the long, tedious hours spent to give us those manuals. The care taken is evident in viewing them. You don't want to share information? Then don't but don't criticize those who do.

Tom L
Cui bono?
10-08-2021, 11:09 PM
(10-08-2021 10:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(10-08-2021 04:19 PM)Hlib Wrote:  (utter nonsense ...)

It appears you know a lot about this topic, so perhaps it would be best for all to follow your own advice. If you don't feel it's interesting, and you have nothing to contribute to the document collection or even discussion about the collection, there's no need to criticize it, just move along to a topic that you do like and contribute to that.

Please, Bob, don't feed the troll.

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

10-09-2021, 02:07 AM
A little THANK YOU for a so huge effort is all that I can say, Eric.
10-09-2021, 02:30 AM
A great thanks for creating the literature site.

I was away from the hp calculator ecosystem for a long time.

The site is already helping with a used hp12c calculator and for
the anxiously awaiting hp15c compatible dm15l.

Cheers.
10-09-2021, 04:36 AM
Eric,

Thanks so much for this amazing work !!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)