Workbook 71 for 71B - Is this available anywhere?
10-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Workbook 71 for 71B - Is this available anywhere?
I've seen more than a few references to some kind of spreadsheet-like 71B program called Workbook 71 (including manuals now available on literature.hpcalc.org), but so far I haven't been able to actually find the program. Does anybody know if this is something that's been made available for download somewhere? I'd like to load it into my MultiMod and tinker with it if it's something that's been made freely available.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2021, 03:00 PM
RE: Workbook 71 for 71B - Is this available anywhere?
HP-71B COMPENDIUM - Part 4
Bottom page → WorkBook71 by Richard Harvey
Find all posts by this user
10-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Also, FYI, there are two versions of Workbook 71. One is a ROM version and one is not. The manual I have for download is for the ROM version; the manual Sylvain has for download is the other one. It is not clear to me (as I am not familiar enough with the 71) whether Sylvain has just one or both of those versions available for download in the program download file.
10-05-2021, 04:49 PM
(10-05-2021 03:00 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  HP-71B COMPENDIUM - Part 4

Ah ha! Missed that little download link hiding down there at the bottom. Thanks Sylvain. Do I need anything from the two LIF files in the archive, or are they just alternative versions of what's in the BIN?

(10-05-2021 03:05 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Also, FYI, there are two versions of Workbook 71. One is a ROM version and one is not. The manual I have for download is for the ROM version; the manual Sylvain has for download is the other one. It is not clear to me (as I am not familiar enough with the 71) whether Sylvain has just one or both of those versions available for download in the program download file.

Yeah, I saw some mention of a floppy disk version as well. Maybe this is what Sylvain's WORKBOOK71_MEDIA.LIF is?
10-05-2021, 05:09 PM
(10-05-2021 03:00 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  HP-71B COMPENDIUM - Part 4

Sylvain, is the PDF linked in the article at https://www.hhcworld.com/files/HP71COMPE...ENDIUM.pdf the latest version available?
I ask this since the article's newest revision is 2020-08-31, while the PDF reports 2018-02-10.

Thank you.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
10-05-2021, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2021 08:47 PM by rprosperi.)
Here is a .lif image that contains a ROMCOPY .ROM image of the later WorkBook app that added the spreadsheet and other features. Pretty sure this corresponds exactly with the manual that has "ROM" on the cover page. Just ROMCOPY this to any 32K IRAM port.

NOTE: The file type was changed to .txt to allow it to be shared here in the Forum; this is a .lif file (NOT text) and should be renamed to WB71_ROM.lif after you download it.

Update: I now see that this appears to be the same as the file Sylvain's zip file contains, I thought from the comments above that was the earlier disk-based (LEX files copied to IRAM or :MAIN). Anyhow, it's small so I'll leave it for now.

Attached File(s)
.txt  WB71_ROM.txt (Size: 52.5 KB / Downloads: 20)

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2021, 12:27 AM
(10-05-2021 04:49 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Ah ha! Missed that little download link hiding down there at the bottom. Thanks Sylvain. Do I need anything from the two LIF files in the archive, or are they just alternative versions of what's in the BIN?
I just validated the content and they are the same.

(10-05-2021 04:49 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(10-05-2021 03:05 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Also, FYI, there are two versions of Workbook 71. One is a ROM version and one is not. The manual I have for download is for the ROM version; the manual Sylvain has for download is the other one. It is not clear to me (as I am not familiar enough with the 71) whether Sylvain has just one or both of those versions available for download in the program download file.
Yeah, I saw some mention of a floppy disk version as well. Maybe this is what Sylvain's WORKBOOK71_MEDIA.LIF is?
As far as I know, the package was first available on media and then it became available as a module.
The WBLEX version in the ROM/LIF is WB: C.
My manual goes with the media version and is for version WB: D of the WBLEX file.
Eric manual goes with the ROM version and is also for version WB: D of the WBLEX file.
I did a quick scan of my HP-71 shelved stuff and I have not found the manual/media/module, but I still have 10+ boxes of not organized HP stuff that I need to go through.

(10-05-2021 05:09 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Sylvain, is the PDF linked in the article at https://www.hhcworld.com/files/HP71COMPE...ENDIUM.pdf the latest version available?
I ask this since the article's newest revision is 2020-08-31, while the PDF reports 2018-02-10.
Quote:Revisions
2020-08-31 Upd: Web links in web pages. (Thanks to Dave Frederickson for reporting invalid links)
2018-02-10 Upd: Web links in PDF document.
Honestly, I do not remember if the 2020 web version bring it up to the 2018 PDF version or that the web version has updates that the pdf version does not, sorry.

Sylvain
10-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Here's a .HEX version of the ROM for loading into your MultiMod. This is a 32 KB ROM, so configure it like you would any other 32 KB module (Math, JPC, etc.).

I've only done some basic testing, but VER$ shows the included LEX file, and RUN WB seemed to bring up a functioning program. I won't have a clue how to really take it for a test drive until I spend a bit more time reading the manual. Smile

.txt  WORKBOOK71_ROM.HEX.TXT (Size: 64.5 KB / Downloads: 12)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)