The HP/Royal/Moravia website problems thread
10-23-2021, 03:59 AM
The HP/Royal/Moravia website problems thread
As mentioned here, HP, Royal and Moravia would love to get reports from you about bugs on their new websites starting November 2nd.

Dead links, wrong prices, … whatever you can spot, please post them in this thread. Since people here noticed connections from HP to Royal and Moravia before they intended for you to know about it, they're sure you'll be able to find additional issues.

Please begin on Nov 2nd, as everything is still being worked on at this time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2021, 12:28 AM
RE: The HP/Royal/Moravia website problems thread
Thank you Dave for the background info and for creating this thread!
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2021, 10:50 PM
Well, it's definitely November 2nd, so here I go. (if Dave meant after the 2nd, I'll delete this and put it back up later).

The Moravia website seems to have a broken SSL certificate. I did not go any further, though there was probably no real security risk there.

Royal's website is really nice---it's not slow and ad-ridden like HP's website but it manages to look similar (I personally like the HP sans-serif font, and I think the Royal website is quite elegant). In particular, there are some excellent photos of the various machines in use.

I have sorted the things I noticed by calculator, starting with the Prime:
  • The Prime product picture is a G2, as indicated by the key design, and they actually edited the picture of the calculator to give the screen recent firmware. However, the simulated screen image is much higher quality than both the original screen image and the real Prime itself. Could a new model with a better screen be coming?
  • In fact, every picture-perfect photo of students using the Prime shows a G2 with a simulated screen image, with a strange white and black border, except for the picture of the kid with the Spanish math textbook looking at the Advanced Graphing sample graphs. Zoom in and you'll see what I mean.
  • There are toggle links to a bunch of neat-looking activities and exercises for the Prime, but the list of activities toggles is too long, leaving some with just the text "Toggle Title".
  • The price is still $249.99!
  • Nitpick: the conveniently located "Download Manual" button links to the 2015 PDF.

The 10s+:
  • The 10s+ appears to have been redesigned from the design that used to be on HP's website. What's up with that?
  • Also, it looks surprisingly appealing. Maybe it's just a rebranded Casio, but it looks nice.
  • Nitpick: the top of the calculator itself says "10s", not "10s+". Odd.

The 17bII+:
  • Nothing to really say here. It is, interestingly, listed for only $69.99, versus the HP website's list price of $84.99 (supposedly discounted from $99.99!).
  • There are no incredibly well-framed photos of users of either the 10s+ or the 17bII+. Just basic product listing pictures.

The 12C:
  • Like the Prime, there are a lot of documents stored under little toggle widgets. They explain how to do various individual tasks with the calculator. They also look recently written---when?
  • Royal cost: $49.99. HP cost: $59.49.

The 12C Platinum:
  • Similar toggle things, but fewer documents.
  • Only one excellent photo! We need more, ha ha.
  • Royal cost: $49.99. HP cost: $67.98.

The 10bII+:
  • One of the photos in this calculator's gallery clearly shows a 17bII+.
  • Royal cost: $39.99. HP cost: $25.49.

And in general:
  • Every tab title is "HP AF2013 is a professional auto and manual micro-cut shredder".
  • The website feels a little incomplete in general. That is more or less a given, but I think still worth mentioning.
  • No HP 35s anywhere! I'm not sure how to feel about that, though. I wish we knew if there really are going to be new models...
  • The HP website linked above also lists the 300s+, the other Casio rebrand. That's not on Royal's website.

I explored the other categories on the website. They look a bit more complete than calculators, but not much more. Every non-calculator product does look very professional and functional, though I'm not exactly sure what to look for in a shredder Smile.

My final verdict is good. There are a few things that need fixing, but the website is far more attention than HP has given calculators in at least the past 5 years. There might be some bumps in the road, so to speak, but this looks to me like a good sign for the future of HP calculators.
11-03-2021, 03:07 AM
Which page(s) exactly were you viewing?

On this page (https://hpofficesupply.com/product-categ...lculators/), much of the content jibes with your comments, but many of the prices I see differ from your comments:

Prime $249.99
17bii+ $89.99
12CP $89.99
12C $69.99
10bii+ $59.99
10s+ $44.99

--Bob Prosperi
11-03-2021, 03:41 AM
(11-02-2021 10:50 PM)Liam Hays Wrote:  The 10s+:
  • The 10s+ appears to have been redesigned from the design that used to be on HP's website. What's up with that?
  • Also, it looks surprisingly appealing. Maybe it's just a rebranded Casio, but it looks nice.
  • Nitpick: the top of the calculator itself says "10s", not "10s+". Odd.

The page's heading says 10s+, but the photo and manual are actually of the HP 10s, not the HP 10s+. It's not a redesign of the 10s+; it's the original design of the 10s. It's more accurate to call it a Casio knockoff than a rebranded Casio.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
11-03-2021, 04:26 AM
Hi all,

I’m with HP and I am co-leading the onboarding of our new Official Licensees, Royal Consumer Information Products and Moravia Consulting. Dan - I spoke with Dave a couple of weeks ago and asked him if he would be willing to set up this thread.

Over the past few weeks HP, Royal, and Moravia located and shared hundreds (and more likely thousands) of Spec Sheets, How To Manuals, Quick Guides, User Guides, and other relevant information. Even before the launch, Dave started to see postings that mentioned changes to our calculator webpages. That was the genesis of asking Museum members to notify us of any inaccuracies, dead links or other “bumps” in our rollout.

Liam, I could not have said it better, “ There might be some bumps in the road, so to speak, but this looks to me like a good sign for the future of HP calculators.”

With the new energy of Royal and Moravia onboard, we’ve already started our discussions of next generation products and technologies. These are very good signs for the future of HP calculators.

In the coming weeks, we will be looking for ways to better connect with Museum members and other enthusiast sites. This will include building better lines of communications between site members and the new combined HP calculator technical teams.

Everyone, your comments are great and very clearly presented. Keep ‘em coming. I monitor this thread and will make certain that the full team sees your concerns and suggestions. Liam, thanks for the compliments in a couple of areas. With regards to what to look for in a HP shredder, stand by for our new line of combination printing and shredding calculators. ?

Mitch Abrams
HP 41
HP 41CV
HP 41CX (current daily driver)
11-03-2021, 01:43 PM
(11-02-2021 10:50 PM)Liam Hays Wrote:  Every non-calculator product does look very professional and functional, though I'm not exactly sure what to look for in a shredder Smile.

Maybe the ability to shred TI calculators?
B^)

10B, 10BII, 12C, 14B, 15C, 16C, 17B, 18C, 19BII, 20b, 22, 29C, 35, 38G, 39G, 41CV, 48G, 97
11-03-2021, 02:21 PM
(11-03-2021 04:26 AM)mitcha Wrote:  I’m with HP and I am co-leading the onboarding of our new Official Licensees, Royal Consumer Information Products and Moravia Consulting.

Hello Mitch Abrams,
Perhaps you can fill us in on what "Official Licensees" actually means in this context.

What role will Royal Consumer Information Products and Moravia Consulting be taking on? Marketing and selling only? Or will they also be involved in maintenance of current products (like firmware updates) and development of new products? Or will these aspects still be done "in house"?

All the best to everyone involved with the changes taking place.
-wes
11-03-2021, 07:51 PM
Dear user-group,

I am the technical and educational lead for calculators at Moravia Consulting. I’d like to share some additional background on the recent changes. Starting November 1, 2021, Moravia Consulting (https://hpcalcs.com/), along with Royal Consumer Information Products (https://hpofficesupply.com/) are the official licensees for HP calculators. Royal will focus on markets in the Americas and Moravia will focus on all other markets. As Official Licensees, both companies are collaborating in the production, distribution, marketing, and support of HP branded calculators. We are collaborating closely with HP to assure that all HP branded products meet HP’s quality, reliability, safety, social and environmental requirements. Both Royal and Moravia have a long history in the calculator and office markets and have been HP partners for more than 30 years.

Our mutual goal is to bring HP calculators back to where they belong, at the top. We are currently in a transition period, where it can happen that websites will show outdated or incorrect information. We apologize for any inconvenience and if this is the case, we do appreciate your input very much. Feel free to respond to this post, send me a DM or use e-mail at info@hpcalcs.com (for Moravia) or info@hpofficesupply.com (for Royal). We are taking your input very seriously.

On the topic of (re-)launching new models: yes, we are looking into this. This could involve completely new lines or previous models. It will also be improvements of current models. This we will inform you about as soon as there is final information to share.

Looking forward, rest assured that there is a full team of dedicated experts and HP-enthusiasts such as myself available to make sure the transition and the introduction of new models will be a success.

Again, any questions, comments, concerns or compliments (these we like most) are more than welcome! We will be reading along on this forum, but suggestions like the ones in this topic are preferred to be sent by email.

Thank you for all your ongoing support,

Klaas Kuperus

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
11-03-2021, 07:52 PM
(11-03-2021 02:21 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  
(11-03-2021 04:26 AM)mitcha Wrote:  I’m with HP and I am co-leading the onboarding of our new Official Licensees, Royal Consumer Information Products and Moravia Consulting.

Hello Mitch Abrams,
Perhaps you can fill us in on what "Official Licensees" actually means in this context.

What role will Royal Consumer Information Products and Moravia Consulting be taking on? Marketing and selling only? Or will they also be involved in maintenance of current products (like firmware updates) and development of new products? Or will these aspects still be done "in house"?

All the best to everyone involved with the changes taking place.
-wes

Hi Wes,

I hope the above message describes it all: Moravia and Royal will be responsible for all the points you've mentioned.

-Klaas

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

11-03-2021, 09:13 PM
So what happens to the existing HP calculator development team?

— Ian Abbott
11-04-2021, 07:33 AM
(11-03-2021 09:13 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  So what happens to the existing HP calculator development team?

Let's hope they are not permanently assigned to mice and keyboards dev for the post pandemic homeworking boom..
11-04-2021, 02:37 PM
(11-03-2021 07:52 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  Hi Wes,

I hope the above message describes it all: Moravia and Royal will be responsible for all the points you've mentioned.

-Klaas

Yes, it did. Thank you for clarifying.
I'm sure it will take a little time to get up to speed, but we wish you success in this new arrangement.

-wes
11-04-2021, 11:31 PM
I also wanted to point out that hp.com/calculators has been updated (with images from the Royal site), and points the user to the licensee websites. For me, the website somehow identified my locale, and the "Learn" button---which is kind of ambiguously named, maybe they could just have a "click here" link instead---links to hpofficesupply.com, since I'm in America. I would assume it links to the Moravia website in other regions.

This is notable for two reasons: one, hp.com/calculators was more or less abandoned, with broken links and fonts, and two, the URL on the back label of 500,000-something calculators is still valid.
11-05-2021, 12:41 AM
Took a quick look at the new hpofficesupply.com site and saw lots of problems.
  • All the pages say "Suscribe Now", which I assume should instead say "Subscribe Now".
  • The 12c Platinum page says "Entry sistem logic:" instead of "Entry system logic:".
  • The 12c page link for "Download Manual" on the upper right downloads the 12c Platinum manual instead of the regular 12c manual (though the links under "Manuals and Documents" are correct).
  • The 10s+ page link for "Download Manual" on the upper right downloads a shredder manual (though the links under "Manuals and Documents" are correct).
  • For all pages, under Dedicated Customer Service, it lists a number for "Ciudad de Mexico (DF)". Mexico City dropped the "DF" initialism over 5 years ago and now uses "CDMX" instead. Also, I find it strange that for the rest of Mexico, a US number (+1 country code) is given instead -- the old HP-INVENT number. Is that actually right?

Also, others have said this, but I'm pretty sure some of these prices are incorrect. Surely they aren't actually selling the normally $10 to $15 10s+ for $44.99?
11-05-2021, 04:44 AM
Thanks Eric.
We're on it. I'll send this on to the Royal webmaster tonight.
Mitch
11-05-2021, 07:55 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the points mentioned. It's great to suddenly being able to increase the team with so many people! Smile
We are currently looking at all your points and updating where needed. I hope this will be done before the end of next week but we'll keep you posted. And for sure, we won't double all the prices as of now. Wink

-Klaas.

11-05-2021, 12:42 PM
(11-04-2021 11:31 PM)Liam Hays Wrote:  For me, the website somehow identified my locale,

You are lucky, I am located in Germany but the https://hpcalcs.com/ link took me to the Czech site , with a +42 number and a contact address in Brno!

**vp
11-05-2021, 02:09 PM
(11-05-2021 12:42 PM)vassilisprevelakis Wrote:  You are lucky, I am located in Germany but the https://hpcalcs.com/ link took me to the Czech site , with a +42 number and a contact address in Brno!

That's expected, isn't it? If Moravia is supposed to take care of the European market... If you click on "Partners" right in the main menu you can see contacts to around ten German companies, including phone numbers.

By the way, have you had some bad experience in Brno earlier? IMHO it's a quite normal civilized city, I don't see much difference to German cities.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Moravia but I worked in Brno.
11-06-2021, 02:33 AM
(11-05-2021 12:42 PM)vassilisprevelakis Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 11:31 PM)Liam Hays Wrote:  For me, the website somehow identified my locale,

You are lucky, I am located in Germany but the https://hpcalcs.com/ link took me to the Czech site , with a +42 number and a contact address in Brno!

**vp

I think you're thinking of the wrong link....

hp.com/calculators is HP's newly revamped website, which contains a [Learn] button, preceded by the phrase "To purchase an HP Calculator or get answers to support questions, click the button below to learn more from your HP Official Licensee".

When you click it...

If you're in USA, you link to https://hpofficesupply.com/

If elsewhere, you link to https://hpcalcs.com/

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)