New firmware for G2 20211126
11-30-2021, 09:43 PM
RE: New firmware for G2 20211126
Thanks for all the info about the release.

I received the two 1126 files after I temporarily disabled the filtering on my router.
I used filezilla to get them.

With the linux (Knoppix 9.1 and Gparted 64 bit) I was able to get to the
correct ftp directory but was unable to execute the "dir" command.
I put the session into "binary" mode which was verified by the "rstatus"
command. I received an "illegal port command" with "get", "mget" and
"recv" commands. I was looking for a file named "20211126.zip"

I will keep the files for archival purposes but I am stay with the may or june
release on the physical HP Prime G2 until things get sorted out (in my mind,
at least).

I hope this information helps someone when the "real" releases come out.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2021, 11:25 PM
The reason I jumped right in to this build is because it only takes about 4 to 5 minutes to undo any changes I make to the Prime. I do a backup and load the new version. If I don't like it for any reason, I just reload an older version and restore my backup if necessary. It's not like a PC where you may spend hours trying to get back to normal and never seem to get it quite the same as it was before.

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-02-2021, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2021 07:49 AM by hape.)
Quote:I updated a G1 calculator first. I was disappointed to discover that the WAIT(-1) bug on G1 calculators is still present, this is a serious bug that I have demonstrated here in the past.

Also noticed that after updating a G1 calculator, re-connecting to Connectivity kit again prompts for update. Essentially every time you connect the calculator there will be the update dialog popping up. Whatever test is being done to determine whether a newer version is available in the firmware folders, it fails.

Both effects are what I encounter. Can you elaborate about the WAIT(-1) problem? I have some software that uses WAIT(-1) which does not work with the current firmware. That is a problem for me. It seems that the f-keys are overwritten after a DRAWMENU() command is followed by WAIT(-1).

I deleted all files from HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware/Prime G1 and hoped for a cure after rebooting the computer. Did not work.

Did you find a workaound or do we need to hope for a reliable new firmware?

P.S. I forgot to mention an other bug: If I enter the Python app, Symb-view and hit the HOME key , the prime reboots! Really annoying.
12-02-2021, 12:22 PM
(12-02-2021 07:43 AM)hape Wrote:  P.S. I forgot to mention an other bug: If I enter the Python app, Symb-view and hit the HOME key , the prime reboots! Really annoying.

There is a similar Bug for all firmware versions with Python (with physical device G2 and also in the simulator):

Directly after running a Python program the cursor key does not work and the soft key more in the Program menu triggers a reboot.
If you press directly after the Python program the Home button and then Program (Shift 1) again, there are no errors.

Where can I report bugs to hp?
12-03-2021, 01:09 AM
(12-02-2021 07:43 AM)hape Wrote:  Both effects are what I encounter. Can you elaborate about the WAIT(-1) problem? I have some software that uses WAIT(-1) which does not work with the current firmware. That is a problem for me. It seems that the f-keys are overwritten after a DRAWMENU() command is followed by WAIT(-1).

See this thread https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17294.html regarding the WAIT(-1) bug.

The workaround is to install an older firmware.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2021, 04:27 AM

I upgrade the Prime firmware to 20211125, but it show has new firmware:20211126.

Try to upgrade firmware to 20211126 but the Prime still is 20211125(v2.1.14597).
What is difference between 20211125 and 20211126?
12-03-2021, 06:19 AM
Thanks Jacob I've just downgraded the firmware. Download source was your homepage which made me realize the impressive piece of software you show there. Good work.

The sad thing is I've lost python which is something I wanted to have a look at. I seriously thought about purchasing a prime G2. I don't why. Maybe the more readable keys or the curiousity effect...but I feel like delaying that because of frustration.
Seriously? HP won't fix bugs like that for G1? That is really poor customer support. Not what I would have expected :-(
12-03-2021, 04:36 PM
(12-03-2021 04:27 AM)Yoshinosido Wrote:  I upgrade the Prime firmware to 20211125, but it show has new firmware:20211126.

Try to upgrade firmware to 20211126 but the Prime still is 20211125(v2.1.14597).
What is difference between 20211125 and 20211126?

There is a bad date in the firmware package so it reports the wrong date to the Connectivity Kit which is later than the date reported by the calculator with this firmware.

12-05-2021, 08:31 PM
This time, connectivity's kit found and transferred the new update quickly and without any difficulty. No message that 1k or whatever could not be read. Have not had the chance to explore any changes.
12-05-2021, 08:33 PM
Wish I had made a notation…looks like it went back to a June labled connectivity kit version in the update?
12-07-2021, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2021 07:31 AM by jte.)
(11-30-2021 11:25 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  The reason I jumped right in to this build is because it only takes about 4 to 5 minutes to undo any changes I make to the Prime. I do a backup and load the new version. If I don’t like it for any reason, I just reload an older version and restore my backup if necessary. It’s not like a PC where you may spend hours trying to get back to normal and never seem to get it quite the same as it was before.

4 or 5 minutes… not bad… not bad at all! Wink To get myself organized, I’ve been building up a table of public releases, so I have some recent experience in (re-)installing firmware as I’ve been installing each one as I update my table.

12-07-2021, 03:16 PM
(12-02-2021 12:22 PM)Elias Wrote:  Where can I report bugs to hp?

Via me in a PM. Smile

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
12-07-2021, 10:53 PM
(12-07-2021 03:16 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  
(12-02-2021 12:22 PM)Elias Wrote:  Where can I report bugs to hp?

Via me in a PM. Smile

I can't see why the existing possibilities of the forum (e.g. the thread "Let's vote for suggestions and bugs" or a new thread ) should be used for this.

PM has from my point of view the disadvantage that nobody notices what has already been reported as a bug.

Please consider your approach.
12-08-2021, 12:07 PM
Fair question, Thomas. Simple answer: because although I am doing my best to cover all topics here, it might be that I miss something. If you want our fullest attention and making sure that I get it, a PM works best. Or email, also fine. We are currently setting up a bug tracking system, which makes it easier in future, promise. Smile

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
12-08-2021, 01:49 PM
(12-08-2021 12:07 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  Fair question, Thomas. Simple answer: because although I am doing my best to cover all topics here, it might be that I miss something. If you want our fullest attention and making sure that I get it, a PM works best. Or email, also fine. We are currently setting up a bug tracking system, which makes it easier in future, promise. Smile

Good to know a public system for reporting bugs is coming. In the interim, both objectives can be easily achieved by members writing a post in the bug thread to describe the bug/discovery/question and then sending a PM with a link to the post to Klaas.

--Bob Prosperi
12-08-2021, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2021 02:48 PM by Stevetuc.)
(12-08-2021 01:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 12:07 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  Fair question, Thomas. Simple answer: because although I am doing my best to cover all topics here, it might be that I miss something. If you want our fullest attention and making sure that I get it, a PM works best. Or email, also fine. We are currently setting up a bug tracking system, which makes it easier in future, promise. Smile

Good to know a public system for reporting bugs is coming. In the interim, both objectives can be easily achieved by members writing a post in the bug thread to describe the bug/discovery/question and then sending a PM with a link to the post to Klaas.
To facilitate that, perhaps the mods could place https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17610.html in the important thread category so it's easier to find. I assume that's the bug thread referred to, or is that just for website bugs?
12-08-2021, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2021 06:12 PM by jte.)
(12-08-2021 01:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  

I’ve been setting up a bug tracker at https://pbt.unfactorable.com/, but one does need an account to log in. I’d be glad to provide accounts on request. A PM to me or Klaas is all that should be needed to get an account on that bug tracker, a PM that ideally mentions
  • a desired account / login name (ASCII, with letters being lowercase — preferences on the site allow users to specify the name that shows up on tickets etc.; a user with account “tcmits” [or “t_c_mits” or “t.c.mits” etc.], for example, could set the account’s “full name” to “T. C. Mits”), and
  • an email address I should send the initial password to.
I was planning on (and will be) mentioning the site when I reply to descriptions of bugs here. I’ve been busy with other project-related matters recently. The main thing I need to change on the server that runs the bug tracker is to get email fully working (I got about halfway on that yesterday). (I want to get email up and running so that email notifications can be sent when tickets are updated; I thought I’d start mentioning the bug tracker here after email was fully working.) There’s only a few accounts on the bug tracker currently, to help me “kick the tires” a bit — Wes here has one and has filed a few Wink tickets. (The Wink as I was surprised to log in to the tracker one day and suddenly see — lo and behold — a bunch of actual tickets! — thanks, Wes!)
12-22-2021, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2021 07:23 PM by jte.)
(12-02-2021 07:43 AM)hape Wrote:  … If I enter the Python app, Symb-view and hit the HOME key , the prime reboots! Really annoying.

I’ve reproduced this and created a ticket for it in the bug tracker.
12-22-2021, 07:36 PM
(12-02-2021 12:22 PM)Elias Wrote:  
There is a similar Bug for all firmware versions with Python (with physical device G2 and also in the simulator):

Directly after running a Python program the cursor key does not work and the soft key more in the Program menu triggers a reboot.
If you press directly after the Python program the Home button and then Program (Shift 1) again, there are no errors.

Where can I report bugs to hp?

I’ve just tried this with a very short Python program, but didn’t experience the problem. (From my experience playing around with the UI of the Python app, my general impression is that it seems that some needed initialization is missing within parts of the Python app’s implementation, as changing the order in which views are visited, and the presence / absence of data, affects the app’s behaviour. [Whether it reboots / hangs or not.] Entering a bit of source code, turning off the calculator / visiting other views [such as Help, or pressing the Views key] can help get it towards working properly.)

Klaas above mentioned sending him bug reports. Another option is for me to create an account for you on the bug tracker. With an account, you can enter bug reports directly and be notified automatically by email when progress is made on the bug report. Let me know if you would like an account.
12-22-2021, 09:38 PM
(12-22-2021 07:36 PM)jte Wrote:  Klaas above mentioned sending him bug reports. Another option is for me to create an account for you on the bug tracker. With an account, you can enter bug reports directly and be notified automatically by email when progress is made on the bug report. Let me know if you would like an account.

Suggest you create a new thread to explain this, with a catchy title something like "How to report Prime bugs using the official bug-tracking system" and include some guidelines about what information should be included with each report, etc. so that all interested members will see it and sign-up properly, not just those that happen to see this comment in a long and meandering thread.

And thanks for offering to do this.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)