Extended Memory on the 41CX
08-29-2014, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2014 05:28 AM by EdFab.)
Extended Memory on the 41CX
In trying to determine how much extended memory my 41CX has, I did an online search and found an answer here:
http://http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/c...read=54123
What has me confused is Richard Garner's reply to Jon's post, because the results I get on my 41CX don't seem to agree completely with his reply. I have an X MEMORY module installed on my calculator. This is what I did to determine how much memory it had:
First, I removed the X MEMORY module. I then entered 0 four times to load zeros in the x, y, z, and t registers. Then I did shift+catalog+4, and the display said DIR EMPTY. I then hit the correction function key and 124 showed up in the display. I repeated this procedure after re-installing the X MEMORY module, and got 600 in the display. I was expecting fewer registers, because Richard Garner's reply indicated that 2 extended memory modules would be needed to get the 600. I have only one X MEMORY module installed. What am I misinterpreting? Or is Richard Garner incorrect?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2014, 06:23 AM
RE: Extended Memory on the 41CX
(08-29-2014 05:27 AM)EdFab Wrote:  What am I misinterpreting? Or is Richard Garner incorrect?

Or do you have a double X-memory module?
It is possible to put the contents of two X-memory modules in one X-memory module case. More memory in a single slot.

- Pauli
08-29-2014, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2014 06:33 AM by EdFab.)
Or do you have a double X-memory module?

I didn't know such a thing was possible. It seems that I must have one, from the result that I'm getting. How can I determine it for sure, or should I just assume it must be a double since 600 is showing up in the display?
08-29-2014, 07:36 AM
I have a double extended memory module in my cx, and altogether I have the quantity you're seeing. I bought it that way. I also have a combined HPIL and Extended I/O module; so I can effectively have six modules in four ports.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Opening the module would tell you for certain.
Using all the X-memory and checking that it works would also.

- Pauli
08-30-2014, 12:44 AM
I'll just have to assume that it's a double extended memory module, as I'm not familiar enough with the hardware to take it apart and put it back again. Since it displays 124 with the module out and 600 with it in, I think it's a safe assumption. I'm working my way through the online instruction manual for the 41C...fortunately the 41CX is similar enough that I can check it out for proper operation. I also have a SURVEYING 1 module in it, so one of my projects will be to determine what functions come with that module so I can check to see if it's working. A topic for another thread.
08-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Try http://www.hpmuseum.org/guest/klug/dblxmem.pdf

- Pauli
08-30-2014, 03:02 AM
(08-30-2014 12:44 AM)EdFab Wrote:  I also have a SURVEYING 1 module in it, so one of my projects will be to determine what functions come with that module so I can check to see if it's working. A topic for another thread.

DeFab;
Your post made me look into my 41 program box. If you are really interested in the hp41 survey pac; I have a point storage routine written by Ted Kerber L.S. (D'Zign) in 1987. It's an addition to the survey pac which is stored in main memory and because of the way the 41 operates; it is executed before the stuff in ROM and uses your survey pac as great big hairy sub routines. People would get 40 to 100 coordinate pairs into storage in main, depending on what other programs they had using space there. You could re-write the storage lines to use your full blown extended and have 299 pairs (plus one in the registers) . That's not much now but I remember when that seemed ..... E N D L E S S .....

It will also batch-adjust them by Compass Rule. Tre cool, no?

I don't remember if I sent this to Dave for inclusion into the HP Museum DVD with the rest of the D'Zign 41 & 42 software series, and I don't have the very latest one to check. I better ask before he updates.
08-30-2014, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 07:34 AM by EdFab.)
Quote:Your post made me look into my 41 program box. If you are really interested in the hp41 survey pac; I have a point storage routine written by Ted Kerber L.S. (D'Zign) in 1987.

Den Belillo,
For right now, the main thing I want to find out about the Surveying 1 module is to determine if it's working properly. I imagine that if it is working properly, then the functions that come with it are loaded into the calculator. If I knew what one of them was, I could attempt to run the function. I'm assuming that I could run the function as a stand alone function without having to write a program. Or am I wrong about this? I have not programmed the 41CX yet, have not got that far yet in the online instruction manual...currently on page 78 which is beginning to delve into the basic 41C functions. If it is necessary to run a program to check out the Surveying 1 module, then something very basic would be ideal for now.
08-30-2014, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 02:31 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(08-30-2014 07:33 AM)EdFab Wrote:  For right now, the main thing I want to find out about the Surveying 1 module is to determine if it's working properly. I imagine that if it is working properly, then the functions that come with it are loaded into the calculator. If I knew what one of them was, I could attempt to run the function. I'm assuming that I could run the function as a stand alone function without having to write a program. Or am I wrong about this? I have not programmed the 41CX yet, have not got that far yet in the online instruction manual...currently on page 78 which is beginning to delve into the basic 41C functions. If it is necessary to run a program to check out the Surveying 1 module, then something very basic would be ideal for now.

The following list contains the global labels exposed by the Surveying module.

Code:
----------- --------------------------------------------------------------
Labels      Description
SURVEY 1B   Survey Module Header version 1B
COMP        compass program
TRANSIT     transit rule program
ADJUST      adjustment program
TRAV        traverse program
TS          traverse/sideshot sub-routine
INVERSE     inverse traverse/sideshot sub-routine
ACRES       convert feets to acres sub-routine
INTER       intersections program
RESECT      resection program
PREAREA     predetermined area program
CURVE       curve solutions program
CIR         circular curve component sub-routine
HORIZ       horizontal curve layout program
*H          undocumented internal sub-routine
VERT        vertical curves and grades program
ENDVOL      volume by average end area program
PIT         volume of a borrow pit program
COORD       coordinate transformation program
*IN         undocumented internal sub-routine
*YN         undocumented internal sub-routine
*<          [<] should be the [angle character]
*AO         undocumented internal sub-routine
*BR         undocumented internal sub-routine
*DL         undocumented internal sub-routine
*DS         undocumented internal sub-routine
*EL         undocumented internal sub-routine
*S          undocumented internal sub-routine
NE          coordinate input prompting / coordinate output sub-routine
AZ          convert bearing and quadrant to azimut sub-routine
*A1         undocumented internal sub-routine
BRG         convert azimut to bearing sub-routine
*B1         undocumented internal sub-routine

To go to one of the programs/sub-routines your just need to type in normal mode the following sequence

[gold key]
[GTO]
[ALPHA]
COMP (or any global label from the above list)
[ALPHA]
[PRGM]
you should see : 01 LBL'COMP
press [SST] or [BST] to navigate and [PRGM] to go back to normal mode

To run a program/sub-routine your just need to type in normal mode the following sequence:

[XEQ]
[ALPHA]
[ALPHA]

Best regards,

Sylvain
08-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Quote:To run a program/sub-routine your just need to type in normal mode the following sequence:

[XEQ]
[ALPHA]
[ALPHA]

Sylvain Cote, thank you for that information. I did your sequence and everything appeared on the display as you indicated, though the very end was a little confusing. When I tried to run the COMP program, right after pressing the ALPHA key at the end, the display showed 'DATA IN?' and also showed that the calculator was in USER and ALPHA mode. Was this normal? I would expect the program to need data to work on, so the 'DATA IN?' seems normal. I'm wondering why the calculator stayed in ALPHA mode, and was seeing USER at that time also normal? Since I didn't know what to do at that point I pressed the ALPHA and USER keys to get back to normal mode.
08-30-2014, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 10:47 PM by RMollov.)
(08-30-2014 07:11 PM)EdFab Wrote:  When I tried to run the COMP program, right after pressing the ALPHA key at the end, the display showed 'DATA IN?' and also showed that the calculator was in USER and ALPHA mode. Was this normal? I would expect the program to need data to work on, so the 'DATA IN?' seems normal. I'm wondering why the calculator stayed in ALPHA mode, and

This is exactly how the program works. It turns the HP41 in USER mode, turns ALPHA on expecting answer to the prompt - Y for Yes or anything else for No. After R/S it will continue depending on your input. COMP is not exactly a subroutine but a program on its own.
*YN is one - it was running when the above happen. In case you hit Y R/S it would set flag10 and clear it otherwise.
It's all in the beautiful manual - with examples and references. You'd find there the meaning of 'DATA IN?' prompt in this case :-)

HTH
08-31-2014, 05:42 AM
Quote:This is exactly how the program works.

Thank you for expounding on that. It seems that my Surveying 1 module works. So far so good.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)