HP 41 Keyboard Overlays available finally!
01-12-2021, 09:01 PM
RE: HP 41 Keyboard Overlays available finally!
OMG.
Monte, how do your overlays look like? Did they survive the treatment by the gorilla?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2021, 09:56 PM
(01-12-2021 09:01 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  OMG.
Monte, how do your overlays look like? Did they survive the treatment by the gorilla?

My overlays are all fine. I didn't check inside any of the other envelopes, just sealed them up and and added a return label. I also added the extra 4 digits of ZIP code to ensure that they all get to their destinations. The clerk at the Post Office had a hard time with some of the street numbers, not being familiar with the way a "1" is commonly written in Europe, but it should be sorted out now. I underestimated the postage, because apparently a padded envelope automatically costs more. But I'll make the difference my contribution to the cause.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2021, 10:37 PM
(01-12-2021 08:18 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Question: What did it do in Canada?
Like you do when you go to USA, sightseeing! LOL

(01-12-2021 08:18 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Question: Will I have to pay customs for the transfer through Canada too? Smile
Normally yes and taxes also, but in this case, I think not.
Someone at USPS thought that Canada was the same as Germany. Wink
That is why it got shipped back to USA.

I lost a package once because several someones at USPS thought that CA means California and not Canada. (is that a country? nah!)
This should never append because we have different postal addressing scheme, but still it got delivered and somebody signed for it.
When I contacted USPS they said that they had a signature and that was it!
... I still wonder how they were able to deliver in USA the package to a French street name with accented letters using a different postal code scheme !
01-13-2021, 12:15 PM
(01-12-2021 09:56 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  The clerk at the Post Office had a hard time with some of the street numbers, not being familiar with the way a "1" is commonly written in Europe, but it should be sorted out now. I underestimated the postage, because apparently a padded envelope automatically costs more. But I'll make the difference my contribution to the cause.
Sorry for that, I should have remembered that digit one should be written similar to an I instead of the way I did, which in the US might be considered to be a "7".
Thank you Monte for ironing out my mistake!
01-13-2021, 08:28 PM
(01-12-2021 08:18 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  January 11, 2021, 7:58 am
Processed Through Facility
GERMANY
Your item was processed through a facility in GERMANY on January 11, 2021 at 7:58 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

January 11, 2021, 7:58 am
Held in Customs
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY

January 10, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility

Operation "Warp Speed" in Germany:

January 13, 2021, 12:29 pm
Delivered
GERMANY
Your item was delivered in GERMANY at 12:29 pm on January 13, 2021.

January 13, 2021, 8:08 am
Processed through Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY

Smile Günter
01-13-2021, 08:58 PM
(01-12-2021 10:37 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(01-12-2021 08:18 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Question: What did it do in Canada?
Like you do when you go to USA, sightseeing! LOL

I see, I had my Canadian sightseeing to BC and Alberta prior to our meeting at San José. But the stick didn't take any pictures, therefore WHY?

(01-12-2021 08:18 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Question: Will I have to pay customs for the transfer through Canada too?
Quote:Normally yes and taxes also, but in this case, I think not.
Someone at USPS thought that Canada was the same as Germany.
That is why it got shipped back to USA.

O.k. neither Canadian nor US (on re-entering the US) or German customs, duties, taxes or whatever Smile As mentioned in another post, the stick arrived today.

Günter
01-15-2021, 02:07 AM
Mine just arrived. From the looks of the package, I thought it had gotten folded and I was sure the overlays were going to be damaged; but when I opened it, I was glad to see they were in perfect condition.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2021, 02:59 AM
Mine were delivered today as well, all in perfect shape.

Thanks Monte for managing the US distribution, Michael for making these awesome overlays, and Angel for giving me most of the reasons I need to use them.

--Bob Prosperi
01-15-2021, 12:00 PM
RE: [PPC? Paname?] HP 41 Keyboard Overlays available finally!
I was wondering if anyone is aware of a PPC and/or Paname Overlay every being designed originally? Similarly, I was wondering about a HEPAX and W&W Rambox Overlay.

Cheers,

PeterP
01-15-2021, 12:34 PM
I am glad to hear that you, Monte, Garth and Bob, received overlays in good condition. Let's hope that the other US customers also will be satisfied with their overlays.
01-15-2021, 02:08 PM
(01-15-2021 12:00 PM)PeterP Wrote:  I was wondering if anyone is aware of a PPC and/or Paname Overlay every being designed originally? Similarly, I was wondering about a HEPAX and W&W Rambox Overlay.

The ROM Editor overlay available in Michael's set of available overlays is for the HEXEDIT program from the HEPAX module, but otherwise I've never seen any of these.

I vaguely recall someone describing one for the PANAME module (in a CHHU or HPX issue?) but never had one of those so didn't pursue it.

Jake and some other PPC members created the blank paper overlays you've probably seen, which were often used by members for various PPC ROM routines, but everyone used the huge number of routines differently so there was no layout which was universally needed. Also, many (most?) of the PPC ROM routines were 'building block' kinds of things, intended to be built into applications which would more than likely have ended up on someone's overlay. I also recall a discussion to make a PPC ROM overlay to be used solely during program editing to ease typing-in the routine names while creating/entering programs, but their short 2-character names ultimately made it seem not justified.

--Bob Prosperi
01-15-2021, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 04:11 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(01-15-2021 02:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 12:00 PM)PeterP Wrote:  I was wondering if anyone is aware of a PPC and/or Paname Overlay every being designed originally? Similarly, I was wondering about a HEPAX and W&W Rambox Overlay.

The ROM Editor overlay available in Michael's set of available overlays is for the HEXEDIT program from the HEPAX module, but otherwise I've never seen any of these.
Robert is correct, W&W Rambox and Paname has no overlay; CCD and HEPAX has one; ZenROM has two.

(01-15-2021 02:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I vaguely recall someone describing one for the PANAME module (in a CHHU or HPX issue?) but never had one of those so didn't pursue it.
I have the PANAME original ROM with the manuals in French and English.
The PANAME ROM was built like the PPC ROM but with functions instead or FOCAL sub-routines, a little bit like the PPC ROM II that was planned.
Some of the PANAME ROM functions target HP-IL peripherals (82160, 82162, 82163, 82905 & Plotters) while other covers: array, alpha, memory and system.
01-15-2021, 04:38 PM
(01-15-2021 04:08 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have the PANAME original ROM with the manuals in French and English.

Is the English manual available online?
01-15-2021, 05:05 PM
(01-15-2021 04:38 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 04:08 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have the PANAME original ROM with the manuals in French and English.

Is the English manual available online?
Yep! available in the alternate universe that cannot be named.
01-15-2021, 05:17 PM
I'm aware of three versions of the Paname English Manual in addition to the original French manual: two are on the other HP 41 site (what seems to be an original manual scan + a revised manual by Mark Villarino) and one which seems to be the text version of the original manual, available here.

In the revised manual, you can find 4 overlays:
  • Video functions overlay (ON/V)
  • Plotter functions overlay (ON/T)
  • ALPHA functions overlay (ON/A)
  • Array functions overlay (ON/M)
01-15-2021, 05:40 PM
(01-15-2021 05:17 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  In the revised manual, you can find 4 overlays:
You are right! since I am mostly using the French manual I never saw them, nice find.
01-15-2021, 09:03 PM
(01-15-2021 05:17 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  In the revised manual, you can find 4 overlays:
  • Video functions overlay (ON/V)
  • Plotter functions overlay (ON/T)
  • ALPHA functions overlay (ON/A)
  • Array functions overlay (ON/M)

I knew there were some discussed but could not recall any details; thanks for posting this Didier.

Michael - Perhaps there is enough interest in these to have them added to your catalog of overlays? How many (sets of 4) would you need to have commitments for before considering adding them?

--Bob Prosperi
01-16-2021, 12:54 AM
I had a look at these four overlays for the PANAME Rom, pictured in the revised version of the English manual.
They differ (more or less) only in the first two key rows, the rest is identical to HP-41 standard keys. I think that creating four new overlays for just so little content per overlay is disproportionate.
What about just one (maximum two) overlay(s) for this module that contain(s) labels for all new functions? Wouldn't that be more effective? There would be no need to carry around 4 overlays for just one module, and to switch overlays all the time. And it would be less expensive for the users, of course.
Maybe someone likes to design a "condensed" version of these 4 overlays?
Then, if I receive about 10 orders for the overlay (or set of two), I will have them manufactured.
01-16-2021, 01:56 AM
My overlays arrived yesterday. They all look and feel great.
Thank you Michael for the overlays.
Thank you Monte for the speedy delivery!
How many orders were filled?

-Dave-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)